Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Tiki-Kate Also Collects Fabric

Pages: 1 6 replies

I was going through one of my closets looking for some of my old Disney stuff. Upon removing bag after bag of fabric from the tops of boxes I realized that I had another collection going.

Although I have yet to learn to quilt, all quilters have what they call a fabric stash. So I thought I'd share my "stash" with everyone.

I've been collecting fabric for years. I can sew a straight line fairly well, so I've made loads of curtains and a few simple tops for myself. Every time I see tiki fabric that I like, I pick up a couple of yards for the stash.

Although I don't have any vintage fabric, it looked like this one had been in the store for a good long time.

I used this to for the curtains in my guest bathroom.

Found this one years ago at a Tiki Farm parking lot sale.

I bought this a few years ago when I accompanied my sister on the SoCal Quilters Run.

JoAnn Fabrics carried this flannel a while back.

I think I found this one on-line.

I bought this at Tiki Time Fabrics just outside of Auckland. I found it in blue a few days later in Hamilton.

Some fabrics have a low Tipsy factor.

Others are a little higher.

I picked this up earlier this year on Maui.

Every time I travel, when I get to my hotel I pull out the phone book and find all the nearby fabric stores. Another from Maui.

I bought this on my first trip to Oahu. I left the Aloha Bowl flea market with about 15 yards of fabric. I bought this in green also.

This is a little more tikiesque than tiki, but I really like it.

Another on-line purchase.

I found this in LA a couple of months ago. It's really soft.

There's a discount fabric shop in Anaheim. That's where I found these next few screen prints.

I also found this busy design there. I bought it in blue too.

I found this on-line a while back and made curtains to cover one of my closets that doesn't have doors.

When this went on sale years ago at JoAnn, I think I hit every store in a 30 mile radius. It was about $2 a yard.

This is my all-time favorite fabric. I only have a little bit left. I've made a top and a skirt out of it.

I actually have plans for most of these fabrics. I've got tons of ugly vertical blinds that I need to get rid of and replace. I really do intend to learn to quilt also.

Wow Kate...those are very nice. I am a seamstress too, but haven't sewed in years...just don't have the time. Your post reminds me that I have some really nice barkcloth from Hawaii that I need to dig out and decorate a guest room with. I would love to see a picture of your curtains, that second fabric is really awesome. :)

Great cloths Kate, so many I have never seen before, kind of blows my mind that someone is in the know to put true to life mugs on the cloth, like the one with the Steve Crane "Ku" & the Westwood mug. I have some bark cloth pieces I have set aside for covering lamp shades & making my golf club covers but, I cannot sew, I suck at it and in fact, I had to pay a chick named "Marty" 5 bucks in 7th grade to finish making my "Gym Bag" :D If I could sew & would love to make some blouses & some cute little hand bags as well... Have fun with your collection Kate! :)

As always, I like to play "What designs come from the BOT?". I bought some boxer shorts made from No 2, because it uses the Pitcairn and (I believe) the Kapu Kai signs from the Book of Tiki.

No 14 uses the mug page from page 177, the Kona Kai and Pub Tiki matchbooks, and the Tapa I used for the Luau menu cover page.

I have a shirt of the fabric No 19, 20 and 21, because the motifs are (in order of appearance) from page 59 (The Tiki Kai), p. 199 (Kapu Kai bridge) and the first two pages of the mug chapter. :)

I would like to submit my chart as it applies to Big Bro's last comment.

(this is supposed to be humorous...)

Monkeyman you've got Sven at the center of the universe! I raise my MaiTai to Sven!

Derek I didn't say that, you are making me feel embarassed :blush:. Of course, reality is much more differentiated! For example, where does Tiki Modern fit in? :D
For those who do not like me, this can printed out as a dart board.

Pages: 1 6 replies