Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

The Great Palm Springs Zombie Taste-Off!

Pages: 1 2 62 replies

Aloha all Tiki Central Zombie Lovers. In what we here in Palm Springs believe will be a first, the Ohana of the Coachella Valley will meet on the first Monday of November to do the unthinkable - taste, consume,judge and update in real time "LIVE" on Tiki Central which of four famous Zombie recipes is the Best!!!

We are inviting Zombie Lovers everywhere to participate and/or provide us feedback in real time as we imbide through the evening, from 5:00 P.M Pacific Time to 10:00 P.M.

The four Zombies are as follows:

1. The Grog Log Zombie (or a version thereof - Traditional)
  2. Louis Speivak's Zombie
  3. The 1937 Santiago Zombie
  4. The 1956 Men's Caberet Zombie

Altogether, 4 drinkers, 16 mugs, 48 ounces or more of rum.

All at a little home bar in Palm Desert known as Paradise.

More updates will follow soon. If there is enough interest, we are willing to move either our time or date to accomidate interest.

Until we read with one another again,

Mahalo

Oh, I wish I could be there to do that live with you folks. So, it sounds like you're going to have a play along with us at home version too.

I'm game if that's the case. Just need the last three recipes and a shopping list.. LOL

Have fun!

Rick

Seconded! Don't mind putting up the recipies and shopping lists, I'd love to do this.

Absolutely, we'll get those recipes posted. I've contacted Jeff Berry about our plans he is as excited about them as we are. I email him tonight regarding posting the three main recipes that are listed in his books - I can't imagine this will be a problem.

If you have the Grog Log, Intoxica, and Sippin Safari, you already have the recipes. The 1934 Zombie is listed in the Grog Log, Spievak's Zombie is listed in Intoxica under Don the Beachcomber's Zombie, Santiago's 1937 Zombie and 1956 Men's Caberet Zombie are both in Sippin Safari.

We plan on changing the 1934 Zombie in Grog log as follows:

Apricot Brandy instead of Apple Jack;
Passion Fruit Syrup instead of Papaya Necter;

Both of these substitutions can be found in the normal literature of bar manuals and old recipes. Also, the substituted ingredients are more commonly found in the bars of tiki drinkers.

As for as rums, you'll need at least the following:

Light Puerto Rican (sub Cruz-an)
Gold Puerto Rican
Appleton Estate
Lemon Hart Demerera (some drinkers sub Barcardi Select)- Not us!
Lemon Hart Demerera 151

Additionally, you will need

Falernum
Grenadine
Pernod or some variant of - We will be using Absinthe
Cinnamon Syrup
Simple Syrup
Pimento dram or liqueur
Grapefruit Juice
Lime Juice
Lemon Juice

If you are without Pimento dram and Cinnamon Syrup, have no fear: The Pimento-cinnamon and Grapefruit mix required for the 1937 Santiago Zombie can be made using a quick mixture something akin to the following formula:

2 tsp of Simple Syrup,
dash of cinnamon
2 -3 crushed allspice berries,
1 tsp of grapefruit juice
Mix and shake like hell.

I don't have the Sippin Safari in front of me so the exact amounts may be off; however, the process works.

Well, this is a start.

By the way, we are now up to 5 Judges, 20 mugs, and 60 ounces of rum.

Jenson's, here I come!

Updates to follow,
Toasts to come,
Criticisms and ideas welcomed,
Soon, a nation to be fully Zombified...

[ Edited by: telescopes 2007-10-17 14:20 ]

What fun!

Ok, have The Grog Log. I just ordered I Intoxica and Sippin' Safari from Amazon. Look forward to the taste-off...

Cheers!

Rick

I have a listing of a ton of Zombie recipe. Can't seem to find it at home here, but I have them on my computer at work. I'll list them ASAP....

[ Edited by: sandiegodan 2007-10-19 22:16 ]

Sandiegodan, and your message is?

The big day, November 5th, is quickly approaching. For all those who plan on drinking, following, reading, chatting along, break out your Beachbum Berry books as we imbide to discover the best Zombie from start to finish.

We understand that Monday is probably not the best day to drink four Zombies, but... oddly enough, Tuesday morning is probably the real impediment for most. As difficult as it may be to believe, Tuesday morning is precisely when all of our judges have a vacation day... what the Hell is that all about!

So, November 5th it is, form 5 P.M to 10 P.M. you are invited to follow along in :Real-time" on TC as we hope to learn how the zombies all stack up - or down - with one another.

They'll be photos galore and active on going updates of our jolly little crew of judges as they take down the Zombies at a little home poolside bar - all surrounded by rich tropical foliage with various tikis peeking out from behind the shrubs and trees - known as Paradise, here in the low desert of Palm Desert, CA.

I'm still in. If you want to make it a on-line party, I'd be happy to host an on-line entertainment trivia contest. Maybe I can dig up some prizes too.

All in favor, say "I"

Cheers!

Rick

hey there fellow Zombie enthusiasts!

I am very happy to report that I too will be taking place in the Zombie taste off. I'll be there in person, and let me say this day is already looking to be auspicious.

Rick, what is an online party exactly????

-Dan

Sandiegodan... Look what the desert winds have blown in. How was the cruise, baby?

I have to agree with you, this is going to be a great evening!!! Having tasted all four Zombies at various times, I have to say, I 've never had them all in one night. I couldn't even begin to prejudge which one will be the ZOMBIE!!!

As you already know, Mextiki and Badtiki will be joining us along with our very interesting friend, Mr. M. Hey, if this goes as great as I think it will, I'd like to say right here and now that we talk to Hawaiian Bill and see about either renting the joint out or having him sponsor a Palm Springs Desert Tiki event.

O' and by the way, it looks like our only other true Palm Springs tiki bar, Toucans, is up for sale. If this is the case, I'd like nothing better than to see it purchased and turned into something everyone might feel welcomed in... Did I just say that? Hmmmmm

So for any of you TCers who have wanted to purchase a bar, check out Toucans -

Cruise in the Caribbean was awesome. Did you know they have a Kon Tiki right on the (topless) beach on St. Martin??? Mai Tai was a bit syrupy though :(

Telescopes: have you finalized your decision as to what Zombie will be served first? I'm dying to know, no pun intended.

I won't be purchasing Toucans anytime soon, but a Hawaiian Bill's Zombie night would blow the roof off of Palm Springs.

Viva la Zombie!!!!!

Sandiegodan:

How about this order?

6:00 P.M. We start with the Grog Log version of the 1934 Anonymous version of the Zombie
7:00 P.M. We move to Spievak's Zombie
8:00 P.M. On to Santiago's 1937 Zombie
9:00 P.M. We finish with the 1956 Men's Cabaret Zombie
10:00 We all move to Haiti where I imagine we will fit in quite nicely.

Of course, I think we are all open to suggestions.

[ Edited by: telescopes 2007-10-23 22:12 ]

Damn...been so busy, but here's the listing of Zombie Recipes I've compiled:

Don the Beachcomber's Zombie

1 oz. Gold Rum
1 oz. White Rum
1 oz. 151 Demerara rum
1 oz. Lemon Juice
1 oz. Lime Juice
1 oz. Passion Fruit Syrup
1 tsp. Brown Sugar
Dash Bitters

Dissolve sugar in lemon juice. Shake everything well.
Garnish with Mint Sprig.

Apricot Brandy Zombie

2 oz. Light Rum
1 oz. Dark Rum
½ oz. Apricot Brandy
1 oz. Lime Juice
1 oz. Pineapple Juice
1 oz. Orange
1 tsp. Sugar
151 Float

Garnish with Fruit Slice, Cherry & Sprig of Mint

Tonga Zombie

1 oz. Light rum
½ oz. Dark Jamaican Rum
½ oz. Bacardi 151 Rum
1 oz. Lime Juice
1 oz Passion Fruit Syrup
½ oz. Pineapple Juice

Garnish with cherry speared to lime and lemon wheels.

Tonga Room - Fairmont Hotel in San Francisco, circa 1945.

Amaretto Zombie

1 oz. Light Rum
½ oz. Amaretto
½ oz. Triple Sec
1 ½ oz. Sweet & Sour Mix
1 ½ oz. Orange Juice
151 Float

Drop Cherry in Drink.

South Seas Zombie

1 oz. Dark Jamaican rum
1 oz. Light rum
1 oz. Orange Juice
1 oz. Pineapple Juice
½ oz. Lemon Juice
½ oz. Sweet Vermouth
½ oz. Orange Curacao
151 Float

South Seas restaurant, Honolulu, Hawaii, circa 1970.

Creme de Banana Zombie

1 oz. Light Rum
1 oz. Dark Rum
1 oz. Passion Fruit Syrup
1 oz. Creme de Banana
1 oz. Pineapple Juice
1 oz. Lime Juice
1 tbsp. Brown Sugar
½ oz. Grenadine
151 Float

Zombie

1 oz. Dark Rum
1 oz. Light Rum
1 oz. Lime Juice
1 oz. Lemon Juice
Dash of Grenadine
151 Float

Garnish with Orange Slice, Pineapple Wedge & Cherry.

Anonymous - Zombie

1 oz. Dark Jamaican Rum
2 oz. Barbados Rum
1 oz. Light Rum
1 oz. Lime Juice
3/4 oz. Pineapple Juice
3/4 oz. Papaya Nectar
½ oz. Applejack
Tbsp. Powered Sugar
151 demerara rum float

Sprinkle with a Pinch more powdered sugar. Garnish with Mint Sprig, Pineapple Cube, between red & green cherries.

Anonymous 1934 attempt to reproduce Don the Beachcomber’s Zombie, which is often
imitated, never duplicated recipe.

Have Fun Kiddies!!!!

Just a reminder, tomorrow is our big night. We hope everyone interested will join us in making zombies of ourselves.

Hey all! Please check back in our log as it will be one for the books tomorrow night....feedback, in realtime, of the Zombie tastings....this has to be a first.

Let the Zombies flow!

Big thank you to Cheeky Tiki and all of her efforts to provide us with some Zombay recipes. Here's to you Cheeky Tiki...

Big hello's to Bad Tiki, Mex Tiki, Earth Mother, Murff the Smurf, and Sandiegodan as they prepare to drink at a little bar in Palm Desert called Paradise. Yah, it's gonna be a great evening. The DD's are lined up and ready to drive, and Blonde Ambition is set to blog real time here in the desert. Five o'clock PCT.

|f your on the other coast or somewhere inbetween, start without us. Just drop in here to let us know how zombiefied you are and how you got there. With less than 3 hours to go I have only one question: Why did I have to Armondo Margarita's for lunch on El Paseo Dr?

TWO

What a great idea. "Zombie taste-off","Palm Desert", sounds like "Paradise" to me. Like that "Off Track" horseracing, we'll be joining you from here, but wishing we were there.

Thanks for the recipes Cheeky.

With any luck, this may be my last coherent message of the night.
MMMMMM....Zombie

The tiki extravaganza is beginning.....1934 anonymous zombie reciepe is the first to go down...keep you updated!!

Quotes from the 1934 drink.....
Sharon, "Burning Silk" also, "Tastes as good as Johnny Depp looks in the Pirate series"
Brad, "South Pacific Ocean Foam"
Daniel, "Taste of juice on your tongue and the smell of rum in your nose"
Douglas, "Very well balanced and this is the one that gets the most criticism because no one "trusts it"--definite 'pool drink'

The tiki drink glasses are all orchids of Hawaii
The numbers on the bottom: r76, r72, r71, and r91, r5

bump

"The natives are restless tonight" is the tune we're playing for zombie #2....Speieaks zombie no one knows if he invented this zombie or if don the beachcomber gave it to him....

Freshly fallen key limes are being used from Douglas' backyard in Palm Desert....

Drinking Zombies with ya!

Couldn't find Pernod, but I did have a Portuguese licorice liquor that taste almost the same..

Keep ya posted...

Rick

If you're up to adding one more to your list, here's The Rendez'vous. Got it with my Zombie mug..

2 oz. Light Rum
1 oz. Dark Rum
1/2 oz 151 Rum
1 oz. Orange Curaco
1 tsp. Pernod
1 oz. Fresh Lime Juice
1/2 oz. Orgeat Syrup
1/4 oz. Grenadine
1 oz. Orange Juice
1 oz. Pineapple Juice
1 oz. Guava Juice

Shake and ice.. Enjoy!!

The Recorder...

Onto the 3rd zombie -- dick santiago zombie 1937 "zombie punch" -- 3 teaspoons stirrings grenadine, 18 drops of absinth, 3 drops of bitters, ice, fresh squeezed grapefruit juice, jamacian, gold puerto rican, and 151 demerara

The 3rd is served in Tommy Bahama wahine ceramic tumblers....

How ya feelin'?

Hey ALL!

Sorry the response time is a little slow....as these Zombies set in (3rd is kicking in now), we end up getting side barred into these random conversations. However, we are back on track now and Zombie number 4 is about ready to get made. Wow. These things pack a punch.....

anyone out there with us???

topic of conversation while waiting for the next Zombie: evolutionary psychological evolution!!!

On Zombie #4 -- This one is 1956 min's cabaret. REAL perfection of Don the Beachcomber after 20 years....

T

Fav line from 'To Live And Die In LA.' "Says he's from Palm Springs but he doesn't have a tan"

4th is a bit flamboiant....
Brad, "A powerful midnight barrel roar on the pacific shore"
Sharon, "Volcano lava meeting the frothy foam of the sea and they're fighting each other"
Erin, "A power struggle"
Daniel, "It's an intimate potent enemy"
Douglas, "This drink makes as much sense as George W.'s rational for going into Iraq -- conveluted"
Sharon adds, "Desperate Don's state of mind when creating this drink -- divorce is harsh and was trying to drown those sorrows in booz.."

Our final consensus...
Douglas was shocked but liked the first one best...
3 votes for the 1st
2 votes for the 2nd
They both came in close....mahalo for now!!

This is the true San Diego Dan.....after the 4th zombie.....min's SUCKS!!!

The 4th Zombie sucks. Enough said.

We're now just sitting here, working on the last Zombie. Even though we all agreed it "sucks", I must clarify it is leaps and bounds better than anything you could get in your average bar. It's still decent.

We're discussing Prague and sharing European travel stories and insights.

damn these drinks are good :)

After four Zombies and a glass of absinthe, I say to everyone "$%^&****"

Oh, Yeah.

[ Edited by: telescopes 2007-11-06 22:54 ]

Pages: 1 2 62 replies