Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Locating Tiki

Hollywood Pointe formerly Islander Ltd and The Aku Aku Apts., Inglewood, CA (apartments)

Pages: 1 17 replies

Name:Hollywood Pointe formerly Islander Ltd and The Aku Aku Apts.
Type:apartments
Street:3620 W. 102nd St
City:Inglewood
State:CA
Zip:
Phone:90303

Description:
As seen in The Book of Tiki on page 121.

I turned the corner on to 102nd Street and couldn’t wait to park and start taking pictures.

Moai in captivity.

Non-Working out of focus waterfall.

wow great find Boris,
Jeff(bigtikidude)

Good job Boris.

I always suspected there were tiki apartments hidden in Inglewood. I bet the tiki mugs in the thrifts aren't picked over either.

Glad to see they are still there! Those Moais are soooo Tiki Modern. What a ridiculous name though!

To my eternal annoyance my photo in the BOT was printed FLIPPED, so the name spells "uka uka", which undermined my attempt create the nice Restaurant/Motel/Apartment line up. Even worse, when I had the chance to correct that while re-editing the material for "Tiki Style", I snoozed, and the pic is still mirror image! :roll:

:o

Name:Hollywood Pointe ...

:-? :x

yep saw that (AKU AKU apt ) picture was flipped in Book Of tiki.

fun facts...

I found this in the 1962 Inglewood area Yellow pages.

Does anyone know what the Easter Island Planned Activity Group is? Check out those other apartment names, I’ll be checking out the Bali Apts., The Isles, The Hukilau is now the South Pacific Apartments and although they’re not Polynesian names I’ll also look at the Calypso and the Montego apartments.

Damn Bora Boris...You and Tiki Kate are workin' double overtime on these urban archaeology quests....

Awesome....I really enjoy you and Kates posts....so much great eye candy.

I think my favorite of the more recent slew of posts is the Oasis in West Covina, for that amazing lagoon courtyard.

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=28234&forum=2=last&6

[ Edited by: tikiyaki 2008-05-11 22:20 ]

Wow, "CALYPSO APARTMENTS" sounds like a swinging place! I would love to see the typeface of that! Though somehow I don't have high hopes for remnants, in recent years MOST of the themed signs have been modernized or renamed. That's why it's great to see a sign like the Tiki Atoll still in the original Asian font. One of my faves was the TIKI TOO in Santa Monica, which had it's name attached to the building written in thick nautical rope! When I got to shoot it was already halfway gone, and that was in '94.

Yes, it's great to see so much urban archeology activity here in Locating Tiki, thanks guys and gals!

Go Boris Go!

Did you notice the yellow pages there say "Hukilau Apts. and The Isles Apts"?

On 2008-05-14 18:09, CheekyGirl wrote:
Go Boris Go!

Did you notice the yellow pages there say "Hukilau Apts. and The Isles Apts"?

Yes Nelva, Did you not notice that I noticed?

Double Doh! My fingers getting ahead of my brain again!

I was born and raised in Inglewood and remember seeing some of these ''themed'' apartments arounf town. I don't remember seeing any of the tikis outside. They must be heavy or they would be gone by now. 102nd is 2 blocks off Century Blvd. I lived on Redfern ave near 98th ave. Inglewood is a good place to be FROM!

Following up on an earlier post.

On 2008-05-11 21:49, Bora Boris wrote:
I found this in the 1962 Inglewood area Yellow pages.

Check out those other apartment names, I’ll be checking out the Bali Apts., The Isles, The Hukilau is now the South Pacific Apartments and although they’re not Polynesian names I’ll also look at the Calypso and the Montego apartments.

The Bali Apts. The only halfway cool thing left is this entrance way. The sign is gone.

The Isle Apts.

** The Calypso Apts.**

I still have to find the Montego apartments.

BB

The Montego Apartments

My work here is done.

VERY cool! And this is the car that would fit the apartment:

Well, somewhat. They did not have that model until the late 60s, when the time of cool fonts and starbursts was already coming to an end.

Pages: 1 17 replies