Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

What’s Next?

Pages: 1 21 replies

I’ve finished the Big Three Tiki Books of 2007

• * Tiki Road Trip 2nd Edition*
• * Sippin’ Safari*
• * Tiki Modern*

and although I will re-read them over and over again I need more!

So what’s next?

Why don't you write one?

It would keep you busy for a good long while. :)

Aren't there books on Munktiki and Tiki Farm in the works?

T

The Armchair Traveler of course!!!!!

On 2007-10-21 18:03, teaKEY wrote:
The Armchair Traveler of course!!!!!

Um. Isn't that a DVD? Is there a book too?

Speaking of DVDs, when is Monkeyman's DVD coming out???

Forgive me for getting off topic, Boris.

Mmmmm... you could go back and (re)read Heyderdahl's and Hesselberg's books on Kon-Tiki. I've only read Thor's original, but I guess there's several by these two.

On 2007-10-21 18:15, Tiki-Kate wrote:
Forgive me for getting off topic, Boris.

HOW DARE YOU!!! :x

I want answers people, not speculation or excuses!

I’m an American that actually wants to read a book.

That’s a BIG DEAL!

P.S. I'm really enjoying the BOLD TYPE today.

On 2007-10-21 18:16, Bongo Bungalow wrote:
Mmmmm... you could go back and (re)read Heyderdahl's and Hesselberg's books on Kon-Tiki. I've only read Thor's original, but I guess there's several by these two.

Good idea Bongo Bungalow. Thank you.

In fact everyone who reads this post has to re-read Kon-Tiki.

I want your book reports by Thanksgiving.

On 2007-10-21 18:27, Bora Boris wrote:

On 2007-10-21 18:16, Bongo Bungalow wrote:

Good idea Bongo Bungalow. Thank you.

In fact everyone who reads this post has to re-read Kon-Tiki.

I want your book reports by Thanksgiving.

Nope. Aku Aku is a far better read. Scares the hell out of me when they're down in the caves.

And Boris, I think you need to go drink something with rum in it. Soon.

Well, MY next projects are "The SOUNDS of Tiki", a CD compilation of rare classic Exotica that tie in to Tiki themes, like Bali Hai, Aku Aku, House of Bamboo etc, with an extensive booklet with more historic ephemera. But book-wise, it should be Jeff Chenault who publishes the ultimate tome on Exotica music and album art,

And then my next BOOK, the LOOK OF TIKI (as announced before), which will be on Hawaiian shirts and Polynesian patterns of the 50s, 60s and 70s, and their links to original Polynesian art and to modernist graphics. I will put outstanding shirt designs into context with primitivist and modernist design, my two pet subjects. This will be an all out color and eye candy feast!

I promise this book will not take 10, or 7 years to finish, but it might take one or two.

Then I want to do a book on the Tiki revival, one the Spanish and European Tiki tradition, and a book on the 20th Century Beachcomber style, and maybe one on South Seas movies and television from the 20s to the 70s...and ...and ...and

So right now, there is no quick fuel for the fire (I was hoping that TIKI MODERN might last for a while?)....but there are still more books that other folks could do: Zulu Magoo one on Apartments, Sabu and Mimi one on all menus, mugs, matchbooks, swizzles and ephemera together,

Thanks Sven.

Even though I knew about those things I feel better.

The next Tiki Magazine is on the horizon and that should last me about 4 hours.

On 2007-10-21 18:49, bigbrotiki wrote:
Well, MY next projects are "The SOUNDS of Tiki", a CD compilation of rare classic Exotica that tie in to Tiki themes, like Bali Hai, Aku Aku, House of Bamboo etc, with an extensive booklet with more historic ephemera. But book-wise, it should be Jeff Chenault who publishes the ultimate tome on Exotica music and album art...And then my next BOOK, the LOOK OF TIKI (as announced before), which will be on Hawaiian shirts and Polynesian patterns of the 50s, 60s and 70s, and their links to original Polynesian art and to modernist graphics. I will put outstanding shirt designs into context with primitivist and modernist design, my two pet subjects. This will be an all out color and eye candy feast!

If we could harness the energy generated by our anticipation, we could light up a major city for a whole year. :)

(edit for typo)

FATIMA BLUSH: Oh, how reckless of me. I made you all wet.
JAMES BOND: Yes, but my martini is still dry.

[ Edited by: VampiressRN 2007-10-22 05:14 ]

On 2007-10-21 17:37, Tiki-Kate wrote:
Why don't you write one?

That’s actually a good idea Kate; you’ve talked me into it.

I’m off to interview the Bartenders at the Beverly Hills Hamburger Hamlet.

Does anyone know if it’s still open? :roll:

G
GROG posted on Sun, Oct 21, 2007 11:52 PM

Kinny has a coloring book coming out for the Bali Hai art show.

D

On 2007-10-21 23:52, GROG wrote:
Kinny has a coloring book coming out for the Bali Hai art show.

I'm going to wait for the movie. I hear Sam Jackson is attached to the project.

Thanks for the kind words Sven!!

I really want the "Book of Exotica" to come out soon. It just takes so damn long to put together coherently. I am just starting to design and layout the book as we speak.

In the meantime the next issue of Tiki Magazine will have a wonderful article and interview with Yma Sumac that I am quite proud of. Lots of cool pictures too!! Should be out in November!!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

TT
Tiki Central - Exception

Oh no.

An error occurred. Site administrators have been notified of the error.