Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Kick Booty - Wild Art Area

Pages: 1 9 replies

B

Don Mueck is a London-based photo-realist artist. Born in Melbourne,Australia, to parents who were toy makers, he labored on children's television shows for 15 years before working in special effects for such films as Labyrinth, a 1986 fantasy epic starring David Bowie.

Eventually Mueck concluded that photography pretty much destroys the physical presence of the original object, and so he turned to fine art and sculpture. In the early 1990's, still in his advertising days, Mueck was commissioned to make something highly realistic, and was wondering what material would do the trick. Latex was the usual, but he wanted something harder, more precise. Luckily, he saw a little architectural decor on the wall of a boutique and inquired as to the nice, pink stuff's nature. Fiberglass resin was the answer, and Mueck has made it his bronze and marble ever since.

Schooled by the finest.....Capt. K and Master G

[ Edited by: Babalu 2007-10-24 10:46 ]

[ Edited by: Babalu 2007-10-24 10:46 ]

H
Heath posted on Tue, Oct 23, 2007 4:59 PM

Absolutely insane!
Kinda creepy!
Where exactly is this display?
I wanna go!!

P
Paipo posted on Tue, Oct 23, 2007 6:11 PM

I think it's Ron, not Don...I've got a catalogue round here somewhere from a show of his I caught in Sydney a few years back. My favourite was this little old nude dude, rowing alone in a giant wooden rowboat/whaleboat that was quite oversized in scale compared to him. I think his famous 8 foot tall pregnant woman was in that show too, as well as a downright creepy one where a newborn baby was lying on the mother's belly, all gooey and still attached to its cord, staring hatefully into her eyes.
I really dig the hyper-realist style when it's done right. Patricia Piccinini is another Aussie who does similar work, but she does these odd human/animal/marsupial/embryonic hybrid creatures:

B

Yep, your right Paipo, it's Ron not Don
http://hubpages.com/hub/Awesome_Sculptures_Of_Ron_Mueck

Wow, I'm totally digging on Patricia Piccinini's work...whoa!
Like her last name too.

Hopefully, some of you other TCers will add other work to this....could be fun?

Schooled by the finest.....Capt. K and Master G

[ Edited by: Babalu 2007-10-24 10:56 ]

[ Edited by: Babalu 2007-10-24 10:57 ]

P

Here's a good one for Halloween - this guy does a pretty amazing job with baking ingredients. They look just as real as the stuff above!
Baker makes body parts from bread

Is this one!

That body part baker freaked me out!

MA

.......Oh man! this is weird s**t!!!!! Ya know?, I think I like it!!!!

This is neat stuff . . . makes you feel like Gulliver . . . more pics, references, etc?

Bizarre and creepy...but ever-so interesting. :o

B
Babalu posted on Fri, Nov 2, 2007 9:29 AM

This cat's work is pretty cool http://www.dennisdreher.com/Garden-Party/index2.html ...watch the video.

Pages: 1 9 replies