Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Non Tiki Carvings

Pages: 1 7 replies

I started Carving Tiki's but somehow lost the taste, for carving Tikis. I have alot of ideas for other carvings and want to carve again. BUT...for some unusual reasons I have a block to get started...not that I am scared of knives and not because of all the idea I have. I know this is the wrong place but I want to carve other than Tiki right now. Anything else at all right now. I have alot of ideas but I am just torn to f$%&. Carving the Tikis got me through a God awful period in life., but I just can't carve another now.b The other thing s I want to carve are interesting to me but there is somethimg missing, a hole. I have no desire to carve a Tiki right now but want to carve.. The things a think I want to carve have no value (I belive but to myself) but I'm poor and can't spend hours pouring my life into something makes no $ and just gives no pleasure to anyone but me. I had a few drinks and am rambling, please go easy on me, I'm torn. I want to carve but have no time or money and now I question myself. Onlyu other thing I might add here is I really connect to carving, I feel it so much but also feel noone good give a $hit about my carving whether it be good or bad, Tiki or not. Is carving a lost art noone but TC regulars care abvout. Sorry for the ramble feeling a bitlike I'm done buit wish I wasn't. Now-12 hours bnefore I delets this ramble,. but if you get all what I'm saying I'd lobve an pm or email. I miss my Bong and Toa.

"Back away from the rum...slowly.."

H

Work out why you want to carve - to make some cash, or to relax. If you want to make cash carve what makes money. If you want to carve for kicks, carve whatever the hell you want. Only you can decide whats going to work best for you. But ultimately if you dont enjoy it, its going to become like any other chore...

T

McD, I get what you are talking about. I'm sorta in the same boat.

McD - good to hear from you again.

There are so many ways and things to create - perhaps what you are missing is the "creative high". That sense of what you make is enjoyed by more than just yourself. For me it's the feeling of working outside the box (I work on the computer every day). I say carve what you want - you've got the skills. I spoke at length with some very successful, professional, fine artists at the Ft. Laud. Boat Show about this very subject on Thursday. Tiki is a niche - there are a lot of niches out there. you just have to find your own. Never restrict yourself to fit in somewhere. Ducks, fish, wood spirits, relief carving, abstract... if its a matter of money, you will never get that same "high" creating to satisfy someone else. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

I have to jump in here and say that McDougal was one of the people who inspired me to no end, for whatever reason, when I first landed here on TC. His pics are all lost now (another Shutterfly casualty), but this cat has a style that just simply blows me away. Super sleek, smooth tikis, very tight. If you start carving again, inspired by anything, tiki or not, whatever, I'd love to see it McD, cause you are one talented dude. Glad to see you around again.

A-A

On 2007-10-26 23:04, McDougall wrote:
I started Carving Tiki's but somehow lost the taste, for carving Tikis. I have alot of ideas for other carvings and want to carve again. BUT...for some unusual reasons I have a block to get started...not that I am scared of knives and not because of all the idea I have. I know this is the wrong place but I want to carve other than Tiki right now. Anything else at all right now. I have alot of ideas but I am just torn to f$%&. Carving the Tikis got me through a God awful period in life., but I just can't carve another now.b The other thing s I want to carve are interesting to me but there is somethimg missing, a hole. I have no desire to carve a Tiki right now but want to carve.. The things a think I want to carve have no value (I belive but to myself) but I'm poor and can't spend hours pouring my life into something makes no $ and just gives no pleasure to anyone but me. I had a few drinks and am rambling, please go easy on me, I'm torn. I want to carve but have no time or money and now I question myself. Onlyu other thing I might add here is I really connect to carving, I feel it so much but also feel noone good give a $hit about my carving whether it be good or bad, Tiki or not. Is carving a lost art noone but TC regulars care abvout. Sorry for the ramble feeling a bitlike I'm done buit wish I wasn't. Now-12 hours bnefore I delets this ramble,. but if you get all what I'm saying I'd lobve an pm or email. I miss my Bong and Toa.

Blah Blah Blah!!!

On 2007-10-27 21:44, Aaron's Akua wrote:
I have to jump in here and say that McDougal was one of the people who inspired me to no end, for whatever reason, when I first landed here on TC. His pics are all lost now (another Shutterfly casualty), but this cat has a style that just simply blows me away. Super sleek, smooth tikis, very tight. If you start carving again, inspired by anything, tiki or not, whatever, I'd love to see it McD, cause you are one talented dude. Glad to see you around again.

A-A

I totally agree..."Carving Post" all the way!

Pages: 1 7 replies