Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

How a Supermodel earns my respect....

Pages: 1 16 replies

M
McTiki posted on Fri, Nov 2, 2007 4:15 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvNgdFIf0I0

While the situation sucks balls, I can relate as a surfer. Major props to Hayden and crew. That was harsh to observe.

Mahalo

J

Wow.......

Intense.... so sad

so much of the world is sooo ignorant. :( ugghh

Excellent spreading the awareness of a very sad and unfortunate characteristic: butchering dolphins.

G
gonzo posted on Fri, Nov 2, 2007 11:44 PM

I disagree butchering dolphins is no different than any other animal. Eating at burger king saying this is sad is hypocritical. If there is plenty of them (there are) then I see no problem as long as nothings wasted. Dolphins have a cute factor that a cow doesnt but what really is the difference?

I myself disagree with the entire meat thing.

J

without atttempting to turn this thread into an animal rights thread but just have to say....

Our meat consumption across the world is majorly of animals raised for consumption. Sure this reality shouldn't allow blatant cruelty to these living animals (like the immobilization of calves for veal or forcefeading ducks for foie gras). However, I'm not sure that cows are overly apprehensive as they are corraled into their demise or that chickens sit in their cage dreading the axe to their neck.
It comes down to an intelligence level. Studies of the intelligence level of dolphins has proven their need for relationships and community, their ability to reason and communicate. I have yet to hear of a study of the community of chickens and cows and their social ordering.
To see these poor dolphins, taken from the wild , penned into a cove and slaughtered is freakin inhuman. Their reaction to the sea turning red around them with the blood of their peers is probably quite similar to our reaction if we some day become penned and the blood of our families slowly seeps over the ground to our feet.
Please don't find me ignorant if, I am wrong (in your eyes). I post this as my opinion, and I certainly am not an expert on the subject. (and yes I've watched the horrific videos of the inhuman methods of slaughtering our meat supply... and it all makes me sick!) I still enjoy boneless spareribs and Kahlua Pork. How weird is that.

jp....I feel the same way....I am horrified at the slaughter of those beautiful dolphins, yet I too am a meat eater. So many times I have wanted to go vegetarian cause I feel like a hypocrite but can't seem to make the leap. I definitely don't buy fur, but like leather. Eeeeegads...what a mess.

No cow, pig, or dolphin for me..since 1990.

On 2007-11-03 07:37, jpmartdog wrote:
without atttempting to turn this thread into an animal rights thread but just have to say....
. . . .To see these poor dolphins, taken from the wild , penned into a cove and slaughtered is freakin inhuman.

I agree. It is all about farm raising. Also, allowing all of that blood to enter the water cannot be good for the ecosystem.

PS-I had ribs for dinner last night.

MT

Uh, why is this in General Tiki? It's great to save the dolphins and all, but were they writing a book about mid century modern stuff or something? Shouldn't this be in Beyond Tiki at the least, or better yet, Bilge?

On 2007-11-03 08:53, Basement Kahuna wrote:

That means there is more for me! :wink:

TT

On 2007-11-03 08:53, Basement Kahuna wrote:

You have me beat by 3 years. I stopped eating meat for 3 months just to see if I could do it, and I never went back. It was actually a very easy transition to make.

G
GROG posted on Thu, Nov 8, 2007 8:30 AM

GROG no longer eat wooley mammoth.

G

That's because you ate them ALL. Nothing left but bones.

I have told this story to a few TC people already.
But I take great pride in being 1 of the major contributing factors in making
Jon Paul of Tiki Magazine fall of the Veggie train after 10 years.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

T

On 2007-11-02 23:44, gonzo wrote:
I disagree butchering dolphins is no different than any other animal.

I guess you are NOT a pet lover, nor do you have a cat or dog.

The only connection this has to TC is the paddling out of surf boards and we are not even talking about surfer. That kind of surfing is more like Senior citizen noodle floating, but with blood filled water.

T

The reason that cows, chickens, geese, naugas, etc., are treated so badly is because industrializing farming (including the farming of animals) is the only way to feed the ballooning population. We didn't need to treat our farm animals so brutally in centuries past, when there were far fewer people in the world.

The solution isn't vegetarianism, it is to simply stop making more people, until the population slopes back down to manageable levels.

Ceasing the purchase of leather, fur, or meat isn't helping. Ceasing making babies (for the time being, not permanently) is.

Funny how no one really mentions overpopulation when talking about things like global warming or other environmental issues. It used to be a big topic in the 1970s, but not so much today. Yet it would seem that the most logical way to reduce the consumption of resources is to control the amount of people using them. China had to unfortunately force people into this with drastic measures, but hopefully the rest of us will have the sense and personal responsibility to help population control on our own before Mother Nature does it for us. And yes, a little less meat in our diets couldn't hurt either, just from a dietary standpoint.

Pages: 1 16 replies