Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

El Vado, an Albuquerque Rt 66 Motel, needs help

Pages: 1 9 replies

I know that many of you appreciate roadside architecture, tiki or not, and lament at what we've lost, so...

A November 14 hearing by Albuquerque's Landmarks and Urban Conservation Commission may determine the fate of the 1937-vintage El Vado motor court on Route 66. They are taking written and e-mailed feedback until about Monday, November 12.

Read up on the situation at on my blog at http://www.thelope.com/2007/11/save-our-cultural-character.html ...

Or at Route 66 News, http://rwarn17588.wordpress.com/2007/10/31/an-urgent-message-from-albuquerque

I'll repeat the pertinent email address here: [email protected]

UJ

I emailed her. I'm a professional sign designer/maker and told her about my company who specializes in old sign restoration and the value they have not just monetary value, but cultural and historical value.

Good News! I heard from Ed Boles, Historic Preservation Planner for the City of Albuquerque this morning, He reports:

Agenda Item 4: The Landmarks and Urban Conservation Commission voted 7-0 to recommend that the City Council designate the El Vado Auto Court/Motel as a City Landmark.

Agenda Item 5: The Commission deferred the El Vado owner's request for a Certificate of Appropriateness to demolish the El Vado until after the City Council's decision in the matter is final.

The city council now has 75 days to approve the designation. I'm optimistic.

It sounds like Albuquerque has a decent sytem to slow the demolition of historic properties long enough that they can really be examined. I wish that were true everywhere. Think of the tiki we might still have.

Excellent news!!! I'll keep my fingers crossed!

Hooray!

I lived in ABQ along the Rio Grande for ten years and the El Vado's sign was awesome. Directly across the street was a Jungle themed Motel with spears and shields in it's signage and decor. Sadly it was demolished before I moved to So Cal. The east end of Central Ave still has tons of great route 66 neon!

Just got an email about this:

NOTICE OF HEARING

December 18, 2007

Richard Gonzales
512 Cilantro Lane NW
Albuquerque, NM 87104

COUNCIL BILL O-07-1, Project# 1004369, 05LUCC-01637 – Designation of El Vado Motel as a City Landmark, located at 2500 Central Ave. SW, and described as Lots 24-39, Block 3 except the southerly 7.5 feet, Westpark Addition. (J-12)

The City of Albuquerque City Council will hear the above item on Monday, January 7, 2008. The hearing begins at 5:00 p.m. and will be held in the Council/Commission Chambers, Basement Level, Albuquerque/Bernalillo County Government Center, One Civic Plaza NW.

If you would like a copy of the record submitted to City Council, copies are available for pick up in the Planning Department, Plaza del Sol Building, 600 2nd Street NW, 3rd Floor, Monday thru Friday, 8 am – 5 pm. If you have any questions or need further assistance, you can contact me at (505) 924-3883.

Sincerely,

Dora Henry

Administrative Assistant

TS

I'll keep my fingers crossed as well...We as a Nation, have already lost too many historical sites and landmarks in the interest of progress(ie. Wal-Marts, and condos). Please keep us(me) updated, as I'd love to see that motel get marked as historical.

UJ

Man that was very close!!!

Texas Tikiphiles Unite!

[ Edited by: Unkle John 2008-01-08 07:54 ]

Chalk one up for the good guys. Kudos for all your hard work on this. Next time I'm in town I'll we'll have a couple tacos under the sign!

Pages: 1 9 replies