Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Is this a Stockton Islander Mug

Pages: 1 12 replies

LT

Hi All,
Does anybody know if this mug was ever used at the Stockton Islander? I haven't found anything in the way of photos or drink menus that would indicate that it was.

Thanks!

T

Reminds me of a Mauna Lau mug. Maybe it is a hobbyists rendition?

LT

Well, it sold for $227.50. I'd be interested in learning about where the mug comes from and why it fetched such a high price.

C'mon Kohala! What is the poop on this mug?????????

LT

On 2007-11-10 18:34, Mr. NoNaMe wrote:
C'mon Kohala! What is the poop on this mug?????????

Ha! I was just thinking about sending him a PM.

midnite reveals the mystery of the vicious virgin here

"..these mugs were made for the LA Islander restaurant in the late 50s and early 60s. According to Bob van Oosting from Oceanic Arts in Whitier these were produced by a lady named Betty Spurlin. She produced these out of a small kiln at her house and sold her mugs to a number of restaurants during that time frame. She never marked her mugs. However they are quite distinguished by their rich glases. This mug can be seen in the LA Islander Menu on page 162 in the book of tiki. It stands with some of the rarest tiki mugs around."

Far out!

The hunt is on!!!!!!!!! Release the hounds!

M

*This mug can be seen in the LA Islander Menu on page 162 *

Did I write that? I must have been loopy on the Quicksand. I've chatted with Bob about these mugs since then, Stella Bodey/Spurlin made mugs for a lot of places in Los Angeles and beyond.

It's a Spurlin mug, but the one I have and others I've seen have "Islander" marked on the bottom. Same mug, just has the LA Islander's logo on the bottom in black. One will see Spurlin mugs from time to time with this same glaze, but whether one is from the Islander or not is hard to say. If it says "Islander" ok that's easy, if not, I presume it was for another locale unless I have precise info.

Where this one was used would be difficult to ascertain. So, when in doubt, go with "from Eli Hedley"!

Well, Bob, on this crappy Showcase I bid $7261...
midnite

Trying to nail this thing down before I list over on OM. They have this mug listed as Vicious Virgin but made by OMC with pictures of at least one mug with a OMC sticker.I also have one with a OMC label and Islander signature on the bottom.
Im with midnight on it as a Spurlin creation because of the glaze (not to mention his OA contacts). I guess anyone could put a OMC sticker on something, but why would they?

[ Edited by: TennesseeTiki 2010-01-31 19:41 ]

[ Edited by: TennesseeTiki 2010-01-31 19:46 ]

M

Stumbled across this topic again, sensed some confusion. That's to be expected if I am being used as any form of authority. Many of the photos on the old threads are gone and in some of those posts I am referencing completely different Spurlin mugs. I think part of the confusion about the vicious virgin is the pair of famous "Islanders" in California. She, along with others from Spurlin, was a Los Angeles Islander feature. It's real easy to go from La Cienaga's to Stockton's Islander. Sellers and collectors alike can transpose one to the other and muddle where a particular mug was used.

My take is OMC did make the vicious virgins that are marked "Islander" and Stella also made some "nude woman" mugs. As seen in the photos above there is a marked difference in the quality of these vessels. Compare the top one in this thread to the one below it. Notice the telling three prong mark on the bottom of the first mug. The other, marked, mug is much more defined and detailed. It is an Otagiri product, as is the one in my collection, see photo here:

The other mugs are some of the Spurlin mugs in my collection, the ones I could easily reach and that best define Stella's "look." Stella! The big Ku is not marked "Islander", but I've seen some that are and there is a classic photo out there of Granny (The black widow as I know her) enjoying a cocktail at LA's Islander in the same mug. Some may recognize the similarly glazed native with the earrings. Lastly, is the mug, the thin gold one, which started much of this; it is the one I first asked Bob at OA about so many years ago.

As evidenced many times in the tiki mug world one mug commercially produced was also manufactured by smaller makers or home hobbyists. I believe that is the answer about these vicious virgin mugs. One sees those marked "Islander", made by Otagiri. Others, like the one at the top of this thread are presumably a product of Spurlin/Stella. Were these used at LA's Islander? Not sure, seriously doubt it, but I can easily understand how some are represented that way.

Now, let's talk about Imperial Glass's "shotgun" glasses and their use at Trader Vic's. Or in the alternative, how did Tiki Bob end up in New Orleans? Ha ha ha, ohhhh.

midnite

Thanks midnight, I knew somebody out there could set me straight. Now if you could just look at that post about Hawaiianstyle55.....
1961Surf, seems like the one just closed on evilbay is the Spurlin and I've got an OMC, I think.
Just want you guy's to know this newbie really appreciates the help. I've been hanging around awhile while my collection grows and this site has a collective wealth of knowledge that can't be matched anywhere (in my opinion). Got lot's of questions.
TT

Pages: 1 12 replies