Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

OC Register says to turn your tract home into an Polynesian paradise.

Pages: 1 8 replies

Ah yes, the residential architecture of Paradise Lost. It was ubiquitous even in California's arid interior agriculture valleys where I grew up. About every other house in every subdivision dating from the 1950s. Over the decades I've seen real estate agents struggle with a catchy description that wouldn't make the style seem outdated. "Asian," at best, "Tudor" at worst, believe it or not.

Cool. But his ideas for the "Neo -Islander" style, (if you follow the link and click on the sketch), are typically tame: Where does he see "echoes" of the islands in that tile? And what does that porch light have to do with it? Cool to see that building suppliers still have lava rock, though!

TB

Kewl article JV, thanks for posting it!

Yeah great find...there is hope for the tract home yet. :)

What really pisses me off about this article is the writer's ignorance....as exemplified here :

"Many of Orange County's homes were built during the architecturally challenged '60s, '70s and '80s. "

60's....Architecturally Challenged ?

My ASS !

The most amazing modern architectural period was the 50's and 60's. Alot of 70's moderns were really cool too, and even some 80's (thought not very much)

What does this writer consider "good" architecture ? The frikken Taco bell Tuscanny McMansions they're building now ?

He doers refer to our own Big Bro's Book of Tiki, so he earns a few points. That being said, it shows a new interest in tiki culture, which is good, misconstrued as he may be.

lol tikiyaki...I agree that "architecturally challenged" comment was inappropriate, but the rest of the article was really pushing tiki, which is great. I like the breakdown of the neighborhoods and the rollover illustration of keypoints on the house. Maybe the "challenge" part was referring to the need to place large numbers of people in a concentrated area.

A few years ago, the LAT had an article about Shag converting his OC tract home into a Polynesian paradise, but I couldn't find the TC post on it.

On 2007-11-13 07:32, christiki295 wrote:
A few years ago, the LAT had an article about Shag converting his OC tract home into a Polynesian paradise, but I couldn't find the TC post on it.

Think this is the one.

Pages: 1 8 replies