Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Suffering Bastard Tiki on Ebay

Pages: 1 17 replies

I

OK, I finally put my estate sale find on ebay. I know I sold out but it was so tempting. Please support a fellow small time collector and pass the word or check it out.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=369&item=3207773574&rd=1

M

Good luck with the Sufferin' B! I doubt you will need it though. I believe the two most recent "Mai-Tai Joes" to hit the Ebay block sold for roughly $500. Why can't I get auction results like that...oh, uh...never mind.

Nice score, like to hear about folks finding the real rare stuff on the cheap.

midnite

I
isaca posted on Tue, Feb 11, 2003 1:24 PM

I got this one at an estate sale in Fresno. Fresno is the place to be for estate sales. Some old lady had one in her closet and I was overjoyed. I only have a small collection so far maybe after the auction I can get some more.

F

Kriky, did you see what the last one closed for?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2156894641

Last I looked ludwicke was the high bidder. How many of these things is he going to buy?

Is it just me, or can y'all not even imagine spending that much on an item which is not the Holy Grail (or even your personal Holy Grail, like a Ren Clark severed head for me)? Yeah, I'll spend some big bucks on a pre-Columbian piece of pottery which will always be considered re-sellable, but on a suffering bastard decanter?! When one already has a few?!

My rent for the last several years in Athens, GA for my three bedroom house TOTALLED less than that last SB mentioned; the whole house monthly was $500! He paid more than the whole house's rent for a not-scarce-as-hen's-teeth decanter! For a one (well 4)-of-a-kind historical hand-carved tiki like the Pompano Beach ones, sure, but an SB?!

Musing Out Loud,
Bewildered

I
isaca posted on Wed, Feb 19, 2003 8:51 PM

Formikahini- I agree! I guess we just don't know what it's like to have so much money that it isnt a problem to blow an outragious wad on an item for your collection.
I've said it before; An item is worth whatever you can afford. And while I'm exstatic for our Tiki brethren Isaca, I just can't see spending that much money on an item that pops up bi-weekly on ebay. (Especially if I already had one.)

But hey, if I saw a Ren Clark Headhunter, you and I would be in a bidding battle brother, 'cause I can see spending 1/2 my mortgage payment on one of those...but only if my wife didn't find out!

Isaca...I hope you're satisfied with the bid results. Looks pretty good with an hour plus to go yet.
Good luck!

-C.

M

It's over $400 with an hour left

And it's not even a MUG!

I

Thanks. I am happy happy. IT's just like winning hte lottery. I asure you I will be putting the money to good use. Of course that means helping the economy and buying many more tiki's.

M

Way to go...I say that's a good result, eh?

Did you say buy more Tiki mugs? Why I know just the place... :lol:

Congrats,
midnite

TS

I can't believe it! I actually found one in an antique shop in san diego for $34.00 three months ago. How lucky do I feel!

I

Way to go! I still have one more that I found at another estate sale. THey are pretty cool. Feels good don't it.

Isaca, Congrats! I'm sorry to see that it did not bring over $500 for you.
It just goes to show that you never can tell on ebay what things will go for. Next week one will go for $600!
(You ever notice how Kahiki Headhunter / skull mugs do that? One will go for $25, the very same mug will go for $6 the next day.)

I kinda like having two of everything (in case something happens to the one...you know, a back-up!)
That kind of money is tempting and makes you wanna part with some items. But I'd have to hang on to that other decanter, if I were you.
It's like money in the bank, baby!

I
isaca posted on Fri, Feb 21, 2003 7:32 PM

Oh I could not ask for more. I am glad that it went for that much a few months ago I was thinking $250 or $300. Don't worry I am holding on tight tomy other decanter. That one is for me. Hey I just noticed that Mai Kai decanter is on ebay. I got one for $18 about 4 months ago and wondered what it was. Is it really rare?

M

"Mai Kai decanter is on ebay...Is it really rare?"

Mai-Kai Rum Decanter

I've only seen two listed on Ebay in the last couple of years.

Not sure about the seller, though, never bought anything from that person. Kind of a weirdo, if ya ask me.

midnite

I
isaca posted on Sat, Feb 22, 2003 2:58 PM

I don't know I was just compelled to bid. OF course I probably won't come clse to the reserve. Oh well I already have one but he is lonley. Ha. Yeah that seller pretty far out.

Good luck!!

[ Edited by: isaca on 2003-02-22 14:58 ]

T

Yep that seller sure sounds like a freak to me as well. Probably the kind of wierdo that would sell a collection of tiki only to start collecting tiki items years later. WeeeOooooh*!

*the funny sound & not the "ha ha" type of funny!

Pages: 1 17 replies