Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Tacky 70's wood wall paneling

Pages: 1 11 replies

everyone knows this shit . . . it was in every basement playroom and every swanky " dad's den " when we were kids . Does anyone here have a supplier or know where to get this stuff ? My buddy Dave ( sleestak on here ) is building a bar and want's to use this as the interior wall cover . help out your fellow fink .

TZ

It may have gone out of style, but I don't think it ever went out of production. You should be able to find reasonably tacky paneling at Lowes, Home Depot or any big box building supply place.

Come to my apartment and take it off my walls. While you're at, please take my sunburst-orange shag carpet. Honestly, this is the decor of my apartment, but it's working with my Tiki-themed living room.

They still make it, I live in Portland OR and there is a store called Mr Plywood and they have all styles. I have a 1960 mcm home and my office/tiki room has it on the walls. I love it...the opposing wall I painted aqua..it looks awesome! Here is the link to Mr Plywood...they might know someone in SD.

http://www.mrplywoodinc.com/

T

On 2007-11-15 14:13, Bogielocks wrote:
Come to my apartment and take it off my walls. While you're at, please take my sunburst-orange shag carpet. Honestly, this is the decor of my apartment, but it's working with my Tiki-themed living room.

WHAT ? You wanna get rid of your ORANGE SHAG carpet ? You crazy !

I'm not 100% sure but I think the stuff was called Luan paneling. Your right about it being in the Dens (we don't have basements in CA) ha ha.

I had bright green yellow shag carpet in my bedroom and I loved it.

MrsHoptiki

Oh yes, my Dad put that in the den too (which eventually became my sister's bedroom), along with the white acoustical ceiling tiles. It was a small room, but I remember the project well and was impressed with the paneling. The suspended ceiling grid was interesting, but not my favorite. But it was back as early as the 60's that this style first became popular.

Every time I am in a dental chair staring at those acoustic ceiling tiles, it reminds me of the den my Dad finished.

Have fun putting your paneling in....and a shag carpet would indeed be a good match. :)

FATIMA BLUSH: Oh, how reckless of me. I made you all wet.
JAMES BOND: Yes, but my martini is still dry.

[ Edited by: VampiressRN 2007-11-15 18:54 ]

I wanted wood paneling in my office/den, but was overruled by the wife.

I do have a big, brown shag throw rug, though.

-BCM

I just put some up in my basement along the stairs. Bought it at Home Despot. It's tacky?

It's all over my whole basement... and our ranch home was built in 1962.

Much of it is covered with bamboo and matting, but the rest of it complements the Midwestern tiki bar!

Thanks for the leads everyone . . .

i think he is saying "enough!"

Pages: 1 11 replies