Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

bamboo wall frame, sort of

Pages: 1 9 replies

Been working on the tiki room... and just finished this bamboo frame thingee... The frame is about 4.5" deep..., its 5' by 8' made with painted black 1x6's .. fluorescent light inside, with stained bamboo on the inside of the frame. Planning on adding some silk bambooo leaves towards the top, and add some tikis around it as I get back to carving.

H

Looks nice! What kind of stain did you use on the bamboo?

I actually found the bamboo stained already at Pier 1. I was glad, 'cause bamboo is a real pain in the arse to stain!

H

On 2007-11-21 19:06, Davez_tikiz wrote:
...bamboo is a real pain in the arse to stain!

Yeah, that's why I asked. I was hoping maybe you found some sort of magic wonder stain that works easily with bamboo.

Wow...very classy...I love it. Cute kids too...LOL :)

Looks great!! almost reminds me of the maps the Polynesians used on long voyages. I have a pic of one some where. Keep posting the pic. The end result sounds fantastic.

super cool, well done piece of decor, I like its simplicity and elegance. a version of that would be great as a built in bar front. Dawn

Thanks all for the nice feedback. Here are some pics of the rest of the room. It's still a work in progress. The room is a compromise of my "lauhala, bamboo, tikis everywhere" desires, and my wife's "classy, tiki yet elegant" desires. Lots of conversations later, we found a middle ground.

We found some nice bamboo furniture in LA... at a place called Hermosa Beach Designs.

Here's the pic from 8 ft at Coontiki......

another Coontiki piece..

Monkeyman class lamp...

and Santa Marq watches over all...

M
Murph posted on Tue, Nov 27, 2007 3:54 PM

The bamboo frame thingy looks cool. Nice work.
I recognize that monkey man lamp :wink:
I like your elegant tiki look.
We just got a set of bamboo furniture for under our Palapa from Hermosa Beach Designs.
Great store.

Pages: 1 9 replies