Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Thomas Tew Rum - Newport Distilling Company

Pages: 1 17 replies

J

A friend of mine told me the Newport Storm Brewing Co. was producing a new rum. I checked their site and he was correct! It sounds like it is very promising as well. It's a single barrel, hand crafted rum.

Here's the tasting notes from the site:
Appearance - Dark Amber Rum
Nose - Slightly floral with hints of molasses and oak
Flavor - Sweet caramel and molasses up front followed by vanilla and oak flavors
Mouthfeel - Full bodied rum that coats the pallet
Served - Straight or on the rocks, or in cocktails where rum is a signature flavor

Here's a link to their site:
http://www.newportstorm.com/thomastewrums.asp

I've emailed the distillery to check on where the rum is available. Seeing I'm from RI I'm betting I can get it pretty easily:)

Hmm, maybe we can arrange a visit to the distillery as part of one of our New England trips.

S

Score! I was looking for some info about them. I simply could not track them down.

Thanks Johnman.

What a great find! I think you have stumbled onto a new great resource for us NE Tikiphiles! Now we just have to make an official excursion, do a tour of the distillery, and sanctify it.

J

Thomas Tew is available right down the street from my house and I'm picking some up tomorrow. Unfortunately I have a nasty cold right now so my tasting this weekend may not be 100% precise. But I'm going to do it anyway. Yes, it's very hard work but I'm determined to do it! Who knows, maybe this stuff can cure a cold.

I'll post a bottle picture over the weekend and let you all know how the stuff tastes.

I'll get back in touch with the distiller to see what they think of a bunch of rum thirsty tikiphiles taking a tour of the facility. I'll also point them off to the NE Tiki Tour and see if they may want to be a "Tour Friend". Something tells me they'll love the publicity.

Ok, the kids are bothering me to play Webkinz - Dad's time is up on the PC...

S

Oh, I emailed them and got this response:

It just came out about 5 weeks ago in RI. Right now it is in pretty short supply, but their are 3 stores that may be shipping via mail (our license does not permit us to do this). Vickers Liquors 401-847-0123, Town Wine and Spirits 401-434-4563, Joyals Liquors 401-822-0536. We have tours of our brewery, but I am waiting to hear back from the state about showing and sampling in the distillery. We have the first distilling license in RI since 1872, so it has been a while since they've had to rule on these questions.

Cheers,
Brent

J

Nice legwork Scottes. Joyal's liquors is the store that is right near my house. I'm not surprised they might have it in stock as they have an awesome selection of rum. Hopefully its not in too short of supply!

First distilling license since 1872????? That is just sad.

S

Actually, the web page says 1842.

At one time there were over 200 rum distilleries in the Boston area. On another board we are listing the US ones, and are up to 8, and a couple blenders. 8, in the entire US.

Charbay - CA (distiller)
Hurricane - MA (distiller)
Maui - HA (distiller)
New Orleans - LA (distiller)
Prichard's - TN (distiller)
Rogue - OR (distiller)
Thomas Tew - RI (distiller)
Treaty Oak - TX (distiller)

Cabana Bay - ME (blends Virgin Islands rum)
Whaler's - KY (blends Virgin Islands rum)

J

Sorry folks - I've been delayed in getting my hands on the Tew. I'm hoping to get to Joyal's this week and grab a bottle.

J

I like the distillery tour idea! Cmon lets do it!

J

A tour would be awesome! I'm sure we'll get in there eventually.

Well some good news. I grabbed a bottle of TT (look - a new rum acronym!) over the weekend and will be enjoying a private tasting this Friday. I'll try and post a pic of the bottle before then just to get things going. It's certainly a new rum as my bottle claims it is from barrel 3! Man I hope this stuff is good.

J

Well after a ton of shoveling snow it is now time for a nice reward. Let's crack out the Tew!

First off, here's a shot of the bottle. As you can see it has a nice black wax seal at the top. It is also totally clear giving us a nice view of the dark rum that awaits inside.

This is undoubtedly a new rum seeing I'm holding a bottle from barrel 3.

I'll be back shortly with an edit. It is now time to crack the seal and see what this stuff tastes like. I'll be doing a straight tasting and then testing it out in a Mai Tai along with some St. James Royal Ambre. Stay tuned...

Ok - this stuff is good. First it has a very pleasant smell. I'm getting the molasses and I guess the oak (haven't sniffed much oak lately so can't tell!). For taste the description the distiller gave is dead on, "Sweet caramel and molasses up front followed by vanilla and oak flavors". Again can't vouch for the oak so much but the caramel, molasses and vanilla are all there. Believe it or not, there is very little burn with this rum. You can actually sip this one. I'm almost wondering if I should forgo the Mai Tai. Nah, gotta do it!

Well New England Ohana - we have a local winner here. Scottes (or anyone for that matter) if you're in the West Warwick area anytime in the near future stop in for a sample. I'd be curious as to what your take is on the Tew.

Now it is time to test out this stuff in a cocktail. One Mai Tai coming up! I'll also be using the Ferara Orgeat syrup for the first time as well. I'll post the results of that tasting later...

[ Edited by: johnman 2007-12-13 18:55 ]

Hey John,

I'm in New Bedford. Where did you pick this rum up? Could be worth the semi-local drive..

Cheers!

Rick

I bought Makers Mark once just because it had a wax seal, you KNOW I'm gonna run out and get this! Rum? Made locally??? Oh yeah!

S

This stuff sounds very good to me! Perhaps you can grab me a bottle the next time we're meeting? I rarely make it down to Warwick over the winter...

Bogie, I think John mentions places earlier in the thread. Joyal's was one place I think - and Joyal's is well worth a visit in any case, since they have an excellent selection of rum.

I MUST have some of this rum! I suspect it will be one of those in-stock items around here! just gotta find it.... Or next time I'm in RI..

J

For those of you searching for the Thomas Tew Scottes found out it is available at the following RI Liquor stores. I've added the addresses to help you out:

Vickers Liquors 401-847-0123
274 Bellevue Ave.
Newport, RI 02840

Town Wine and Spirits 401-434-4563
179 Newport Ave
Rumford, RI 02916

Joyals Liquors 401-822-0536
90 West Warwick Ave. Rte 117
West Warwick, RI
Website with inventory:
http://www.oxfordwineroom.com/wineonline/ri_joyals/main.asp
The inventory isn't totally up to date so call if you really want to know if something is in stock. Last time I was there they had Tew (a week ago).

For Scottes and anyone else that may want some Tew: The next time we have an event (guessing Jan '08?) and I'm going, just PM me that you want a bottle. I'll gladly pick one up for you at Joyal's. The price you ask? 30.99 + tax. Oh yeah, and $100 shipping :) Ok I'll drop the shipping.

BTW - The Mai Tai with the TT and Ferrara was excellent. The Ferrara syrup is certainly better than Fee Brothers Orgeat. I found mine at Shaw's Supermarkets for $3.99.

More info on Thomas Tew... Here's a video about the making of the rum:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-M83HQEyp8

Pages: 1 17 replies