Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Googly Eyed first tiki

Pages: 1 14 replies

Dear Penthouse, I never thought it could happen to me, but... Sorry, wrong forum.
I'm totally inspired by all the great tiki and other oceanic inspired art everyone has posted on TC and I'm hungry to try carving one (or many) of my own. I've never done anything like this before and could use some guidance on what tools I need to get me started and stuff to seal the ends of my wood with. Any advice and/or directions to earlier posts on this subject would be very much appreciated.
Thanks for your help!

[ Edited by: whoseyrdaddy 2008-07-22 19:34 ]

a starting carver: http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=24249&forum=7&hilite=carving%20tools

"tools carvers use" http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=10451&forum=7&start=45

one of my favs "tiki carving methodology" (this link starts at page 5 where the pics started working for me, but I suggest reading it all)
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=6426&forum=7&start=60&hilite=carving%20tools

Use the search feature in the upper right hand corner to find more.

First, I would like to thank Polynesiac and everyone who pm'd me with their input on tools. Second, I would like to introduce my first effort - the Googly Eyed Fire Tiki! The inspiration for the googly eyes came from a photo found on page 247 of the "Book of Tiki". The "fire" part came from the fact that I accidentally set him ablaze while trying my hand at scorching accents onto a tiki for the first time.

The wood was terrible and full of knots, splits & rot. The cartoonish hands, thumb pinched to pointer finger, and hands posed in a yin yang-like arrangement a means for addressing two knots that I originally had not realized any prior accommodation for.

I've yet to apply any stain and/or sealant and would welcome any ideas of how to proceed. In the meantime I'm already sketching ideas for my next effort.
Thanks for looking.
Brian

[ Edited by: whoseyrdaddy 2008-07-24 20:36 ]

Hi...Call me Forbidden if I need a tiki moniker...I need advice. Got a piece of driftwood, round, loggish, about four feet long. I want to carve my lounge's name into it. Anysuggestions on how to begin carving would be he'pful. [email protected] is the addy....Thanks in advance..

Nice solution to a knotty problem, thats very clever! (your work, not my joke).

Welcome aboard! :)

B

Excellent work there wyd, and letting the wood "speak" to you is something that Rarely happens on the first few tikis, so you are Way ahead of the game, Well done.
I would try a few stains (what ever you have around) on a scrap from the same log and see what you think look best. Just about any normal stain will do so you can't go very far wrong.
Nice work.

S

Listen to Ben. He knows of what he speaks.

S

Welcome whoesyr, nice tiki. Like benz said you
are off and running on your first tiki. NICE WORK!

Daddy! Very nice! Polynesiac must of taught you something, that is great for a first! Creative right out of the gate.

H
hewey posted on Wed, Jul 23, 2008 8:36 PM

Thats a great tiki for a first carve! Well done mate :D Great style and proportion, nice depth, and as Ben said working with the wood and being creative! Nice work

Thanks everyone for your positive comments. I'm humbled especially from those of you whose work I've been watching for months.
Staining planned for this weekend, pics to follow, and the possibility of starting a new carve. How well does palm hold fine detail?

B

excellent work

Benjamin.

J

Nice! What's next?

No staining this weekend, but did start on a new carve only to find...

The center is wet, spongy and shreds easier then it cuts. This is my first time working with palm. Is this common? Do I just let it dry more or do I discard the wood and look for more? I'm impatient and have started to carve trying to keep what I want to the outside of this palm's soft and chewy center.
Thanks in advance for any and all feedback.
Brian

Carving wet palm is like carving a sponge. I have carved wet palm before and it's not fun. If you are not doing any small details, then carve away, but you will have to wait for it to dry before staining and sealing. Best to put it aside and let it dry. If you seal the wood before it dries it tends to rot for the inside out.

Pages: 1 14 replies