Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Hodaddy's 2D thread

Pages: 1 31 replies

I used to do alot of freelance illustration in my twenties until I landed a directorial gig working VERY closely with a female Hawaiian editor.

Most of my work from that time was inspired by her passion for native issues ranging from Hawaiian autonomy to incarcerated Navajos being denied religious sacrament while Caucasians prisoners could gobble all the Body of Christ they wanted until their bellies were full to busting with the figurative flesh of the white God... well you get the idea.

This was before the Paradigm shifted to computer design so I did everything by hand. (I think they have a trained monkey doing my job now, who pushes a button to produce effortess but souless art in a fraction of the time and they work for bananas.)

My prefered medium for covers and editorial illustration was acrylic. I recently openned a box and found some old stuff I'll post here shortly.

[ Edited by: hodadhank 2007-12-04 09:59 ]

H

Yipe! Warts and all...

They look so sloppy now after twelve years. Thank goodness the black and whites were published at about 50% of this size.

As I recall, this image accompanied an article about native islanders vs US aided Japanese conglomerates, shitting on native kapu to build more fucking golf courses. A different version, long lost, wrapped the explosive tikis in an american flag touricate.(B&W acrylic on canvasboard)

...an editorial illustration that accompanied an interview with Joe Stephenson, a Jamaican tropical muralist living in the desert. I thought the publishers were insane for insisting upon my work instead of Joe's for a frickin' article about Joe, so i tried to allude to his method and influence without imitating his style.
Joe dug it. (B&W acrylic on canvasboard)

Natives in prison face caucasion indifferance to all they hold sacred. Often discouraged from non christian communal worship and denied traditional religious sacraments, Cochiti, Zuni, Navajo and Mescalero Apache faced further humiliation from white guards cutting their hair — a symbol of native pride. (B&W acrylic on canvasboard)

The cover of a desert music mag: when mopey grunge was king and every two horse town was convinced they were gonna be the next Seattle! LOL! Imagine a masthead above and tons of stupid band names on the left and right of the dead pinon tree. (B&W acrylic on canvasboard)

"One does want a hint of color."

Anybody remember Lyle Alzado? It's hard to remember a time when steroids were regarded as harmless, but when one of the NFL's biggest badasses shriveled down to a drooling skeleton in just a few months, every juicing jock took notice. (color acrylic on canvasboard)

Some other sports thing... God it's ugly, but I still like the rhino's right glove. (color acrylic on canvasboard)

Plenty more of this stuff but none of it even remotely tiki...

Hey Hodaddy I dig those! A very tactile technique you had/have going. Heavy trip man deep thinkin' subject matter to paint. Would like to see some more and some recent works too. Glad to see those, thanks for diggin' them up.

G
GROG posted on Thu, Dec 6, 2007 11:07 PM

Yes. More.

C

more....

T

On 2007-12-07 08:31, Clysdalle wrote:
more....

Ditto.

Pardon the napkin doodles

Maybe someday... a mug series by my favorite sculptors...

Inspired by all the colorful 2D arists at Tiki Farm event Saturday... particularlly my new mentor Kinky Rugburn...

More napkin scribbles tweeked for your psychedelic viewing pleasure, and mine! These based on a favorite childhood superhero.
May end up my first resin series. Might carve it 5ft tall...

or both...

or neither.

ULTRATANG

Very cool stuff hodad! I had no idea you did this sort of thing....

G
GROG posted on Wed, Apr 23, 2008 9:21 AM

Yeah, the bastard's got skills, but the f--ker wants me to do some art for him.!!! Sheesh!

But GROG understand. GROG always like everybody elses art bettter than GROG's.

YOU GOTTA DO AN ULTRATANG!
AWESOME HANK!

P
Paipo posted on Wed, Apr 23, 2008 5:33 PM

Put me on the UltraTang list - I'll take one in koa! Nice work Hodaddy!

Haha, it's Toni! Hank, that would make a great T-shirt!

H

Nice job.

B

On 2009-07-18 06:51, 4WDtiki wrote:
Haha, it's Toni! Hank, that would make a great T-shirt!

I want a Toni T!

Hahaha... Toni's got a posse! Freaky Boutiki's next tee 4 sure!

**Toni fans can catch her performing w/Kailani's Wahines at Kaisen Sushi in Oceanside 6:30 PM, Monday, July 27, 2009. No Cover Charge!

The perfect combo of sushi & sexy!**

[ Edited by: hodadhank 2009-07-19 08:19 ]

Dig the wahine with tiki! Great line work!
It would make a great T-shirt. lets see some more!

Antoinette and a Tiki!
perfect!

great drawing Hank!

On 2009-07-19 08:18, Iokona Ki'i wrote:
Dig the wahine with tiki! Great line work!
It would make a great T-shirt. lets see some more!

Mahalo! I'll get right on it... Hmmm, where'd I put that cute model...

B

XL for Babalu please... It was sooo cool to visit your store finally Hank. Man, you are living the dream brother!

Hank, told me that he knows when summer has arrived to the beach when he sees a "babe in a bikini, riding a long board with an pony keg on it" in front of his store...it don't get any better than that there!

Me Too!! Large 4 me please!!

Wooo... Guess I gotta get moving on those Toni Teez...

but duringthemeanwhilest...

"Tangaroa Wipeout" coming soon to a coloring book near you!

S
squid posted on Thu, Aug 20, 2009 7:48 PM

On 2008-04-22 17:54, hodadhank wrote:
Pardon the napkin doodles

Maybe someday... a mug series by my favorite sculptors...

Just warmin' up my brother, just warmin' up... :)

On 2009-08-27 01:53, Ima wrote:

On 2009-08-26 19:36, hodadhank wrote:
Dear Sirs and or Madmen,

I am enclosing my proposal for a Luau Pig Mug collaboration. I would very much like to participate and feel PIGZILLA might be a worthy addition to the series. I am an artist from Mission Beach California, have worked in all mediums including clay, enjoy puns and pop culture references and am a Virgo.

Thank you for your kind consideration.

Sincerely,
Dr Henry A Adelson.

Dearest Henry,
Thank you so much for your submission. After careful consideration, our panel of buffoons has determined that your concept is somewhat passable given the strict requirements herein and thereof, forthwith. Please be advised that you will receive your pork at the upcoming Fork Factory Gallery Art Shoe reception and ladies' auxiliary luncheon.

Ima Hogg
Editor, Pork Belly Illustrated

Some process and close ups of my Hunter's and Collectors diptych: Subjugates of Goon Island. Please email [email protected] for purchase details.

[ Edited by: hodadhank 2011-04-14 17:35 ]

love these two!
especially the blue of their skin!
and dem stitches
and dose spinach can tops
and the motifs on the sides
and.....
well Shoot! the whole thing!
Damn fine Diptych,Hodad!

Thanks Kinny! I ate all the spinach too or I wouldn't have been done these in time...

I am what I am, Yuk Yuk Yuk Yuk.....

Available now in Tiki Magazine Fall 2011 Vol7, #2. "SEXO Y VIOLENCIA" (shortened at my request to Violencia in the mag).

This is a splash page for the alternate reality mid-century LA noir comic I've been threatening to complete. It relates a classic tale of girl-meets-boy, boy-dumps-girl, girl-buys-luchador-robot-to-exact-terrible-revenge. To be published by Freak Factory Press.

Here's a lousy color rough and the more polished finished ink version. Note the rough includes a place for a vintage comic code authority stamp... so silly.

Figured I'd post these before the Huge Jackman wrestling robot movie makes everyone call me a stinkin' copycat.

[ Edited by: hodadhank 2011-09-25 13:32 ]

On 2011-09-25 13:20, hodadhank wrote:
Figured I'd post these before the Huge Jackman wrestling robot movie makes everyone call me a stinkin' copycat.

You mean the movie based on the classic children's game?...

Bear

On 2011-09-25 13:39, Brudda Bear wrote:
You mean the movie based on the classic children's game?...

Dats Da One Brudda! Can you believe it took this long for a Hollywood exec to green light a robot fight movie?

FYI Sexo, my Robot Luchador, also has precious little in common with Talos, Johnny 5, The Iron Giant, Robby, Gort, C3PO, Tik-Tok, Robocop, Jet Jaguar, Ash or Mechagodzilla.

Except of course that they are robots...

Oh! And they smash things...

Oh! And they take orders...

Aww hell.

[ Edited by: hodadhank 2011-09-25 14:46 ]

Pages: 1 31 replies