Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Amazing antique whalebone carving collection

Pages: 1 10 replies

H

Thought some of these artifacts were soooo amazing. All carved with crude tools by bored sailors on whaling ships...

http://www.angelfire.com/ca/antiquescrimshaw/

T

That is really cool. Don't quite understand why they made crimpers though.

VERY COOL!
I like the little carved fists on the ends of some!
And you're right about the intricacy of some of em! WOW!
Thanks Hank! :)

A

Maybe you could point out the Tiki for us? I didn't see any on that site.

This might fit in the carving forum or beyond Tiki.

[ Edited by: AlienTiki 2007-12-04 15:07 ]

G
GMAN posted on Tue, Dec 4, 2007 3:40 PM

Thought you might like these as well....

These are not mine, and I have the artists names if anyone is interested. These are recent works, but there was a fair amount of overlap with whaling, fisherman folk art, and things polynesian.

-G

H

On 2007-12-04 15:07, AlienTiki wrote:

Uh-oh. Sounds like someone needs more fiber in their diet. I had a feeling not buying that limited edition Goof mug would come back to bite me on the ass. Hey! I'm pointing at the word AlienTiki right now. Does that count, and can you guess which finger I'm using?

Seriously this is hilarious. I originally posted this in the carving forum but moved it tinking someone would give me shit since I didn't carve them myself! Nor did i want important art to get lost amongst the kooky Nuke Disneyland, Gnome Fetish and Christina Aguilera Worship threads in Beyond Tiki.

I'll just thank my lucky stars that G-man saving my misplaced thread by posting some scrimshaw actually featuring outriggers, warriors and carved marquesan weapons. Whew!

H

On 2007-12-04 15:40, GMAN wrote:
Thought you might like these as well....

These are not mine, and I have the artists names if anyone is interested. These are recent works, but there was a fair amount of overlap with whaling, fisherman folk art, and things polynesian.

Amazing! Yes, please post the artists names.

P
Paipo posted on Thu, Dec 6, 2007 3:19 PM

Sweet link, and there is plenty of Oceanic stuff there if you take the time to look - heaps of Tabua, and a cool scene showing some outrigger canoes around the ships. I bought this many years ago thinking I might carve or scrimshaw it, until I found out what it was:

I have seen a lot of whale teeth over the years, but this is one of the biggest. I think the smoked patina has been sanded off unfortunately (still visible in the grooves ), and the two dark spots are little tacks still embedded in the ivory that have rusted out. I guess it probably had an engraved plaque on it at some point.

H

OMG Paipo that thing is huge. Patina-wize, would soaking it in a cup of coffee be cheating?

On 2007-12-06 14:44, hodadhank wrote:

On 2007-12-04 15:07, AlienTiki wrote:

Uh-oh. Sounds like someone needs more fiber in their diet. I had a feeling not buying that limited edition Goof mug would come back to bite me on the ass. Hey! I'm pointing at the word AlienTiki right now. Does that count, and can you guess which finger I'm using?

Seriously this is hilarious. I originally posted this in the carving forum but moved it tinking someone would give me shit since I didn't carve them myself! Nor did i want important art to get lost amongst the kooky Nuke Disneyland, Gnome Fetish and Christina Aguilera Worship threads in Beyond Tiki.

I'll just thank my lucky stars that G-man saving my misplaced thread by posting some scrimshaw actually featuring outriggers, warriors and carved marquesan weapons. Whew!

Aloha hodadhank-
Hey what mugs you purchase or what you do with your fingers while in front of your computer is your own business.

When you post a threat entitled "Amazing antique whalebone carving collection" well my first thought is the logical one, Tiki Carving in the creating Tiki section. Now I could see how you wouldn't want to post it there since you didn't carve them. Fare enough, maybe it belongs in the Tiki collecting forums. I looked at that site linked and could only find one little scribble on bone picture of some outriggers. Well there's no tikis so maybe not Tiki collecting. Shoots outriggers, I see the tiki connection now. You must have been in some kind of stoney, zoned-out, semi coherant, one too many Bongloads state of mind, when you thought General Tiki... that is where this belongs.

Thanks for the link to the carving Collection. Some are cool no matter how unTiki or unPoly Pop I may think they are. And hell you can stick this thread any where you like.:lol:

H

... Sorry man, were you saying something?

Pages: 1 10 replies