Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

New Tiki Culture Website

Pages: 1 6 replies

K
Kana posted on Wed, Dec 5, 2007 9:11 AM

Here is a new Tiki culture site. It's new and not very extensive yet... I was just wandering what you folks think? Bassicaly it's a place for information but I would also like to show off some of my own carvings. DAMN YOU TIKI GOD VANITY!!!!

http://www.questiki.com

Mahalo!

Great start! Keep it fresh and you could have a fantastic site. Include links back to here for people to join us and expand their awareness.

Dean

T

Congratulations on the website. Looks great!

"they would probably agree buddha statues are sweet or they are poop heads."

lol! :D

Speaking of new websites....

I've started building one of my own.

It is for a class that I am taking in college. It's not very elaborate but, it's getting the message out there!

Take a look and tell me what you think!

http://www.freewebs.com/thetikishack/

Thanks! :D

G

On 2008-10-22 12:16, tikijoeusaf wrote:
Take a look and tell me what you think!

After a quick glance through your site and without knowing exactly what your assignment was, my suggestion would be to keep in mind that the Poly Pop story is best told through pictures. I would venture a guess to say a 70:30 ratio of pictures to text would be about right. It's such a visually compelling story. I do read the text, but the visuals are what draw me in.

A very commendable effort to make Tiki understandable for the novice. Easy to read, very personable in style. It sounds like a teacher, but not patronizing. Tiki Central is too complex, Wikipedia is not enough info, this could fill the gap. Obviously, the image examples (which are not up yet I assume) will best communicate what Tiki is/was.

One thing I would like you to differentiate better are the definitions of Polynesian pop and Tiki style. In your text it sounds like they are interchangeable, but actually one was born out of the other. Please regard the evolution chart in the Book of Tiki:

Don and Vic were the best examples of Polynesian pop, which evolved in the 30s and 40s, (actually before), but not until the mid-50s did Tiki style come into being, when the Tiki became the foremost icon of Polynesian pop.

In other words: The whole period from the 30s to the 60s was part of Polynesian pop, but only the 50s and 60s brought forth Tiki style.

I like that you devote space to Urban Archeology. Here you could put a list of style elements that are left on renovated places, like A-frames, lava rock, outrigger beams, torches, etc.

And last not least: Do spell check. Do fact check, Hawaii did not gain statehood in 1955.

Make sure your Tiki research is up to par: Trader Vic's Las Vegas is the worst example of all the new ones out there, so to refer to it is misleading. And never mention the Pina Colada in one breath with the Zombie and the Mai Tai, you will loose the cocktail lovers audience fast.

Pages: 1 6 replies