Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Did Anyone Learn Anything New from TRT II?

Pages: 1 7 replies

I have been meaning to take a cruise of various tiki apartments which are listed.

BTW, Tikibars, add this one for TRT III (along with Tiki Mecca chart):

The Tahitian.
3932 S Stevely.
1 block E La Brea.
1 block N Coliseum.

It features two tikis on the outside. Modern apt building.

Cool find.

As I state in the acknowledgements to both TRT 1 and 2...

"A book like this can never be truly complete. Cataloging every one of the Tiki influenced locations that have existed since the 1930s is an impossible task. This book is the result of sixteen years spent trying...."
"...many (many) people both on and off-line have shared their own discoveries. A portion of this book is based on that information, and this book would therefore not have been possible without the assistance of these particular Tiki gods. "

We're now one more apartment building closer to the impossible dream!
:wink:
Mahalo!

This is not entirely what TRT is about, but I found the aspect of Tiki in Hawaii very interesting.
It however, begs the question of who is Hawaiian or what is the threshold: Polynesian blood, geographical birthright or mere presence.
I also wonder if it is why most of the carvers are not Hawaiian?

I finally picked up a copy of TRT II on my monthly trip to Oceanic Arts. I'm doing a road trip in January and need to start planning.

Three things I've noticed so far:

1. Page 27 made me laugh out loud. (I don't do that very often, so thank you, James.)

2. Everyone in the country bags on the 909. (As well they should.)

3. I don't understand where the full bar is at the Ron Jon Surf Shop at the Block. I remember asking about it a couple of years ago after seeing the reference in TRT I, and everyone looked at me like I was insane. (Wise employees.) I've been to the shop several dozen times, and have never seen any sign of a bar. Enlightenment please, anyone?

T

I have never seen any full bar at Ron Jon's either...Tommy's Tiki Bar is located about a block from the "Block"...Will open up if Tiki Kate is in town.:)

On 2007-12-12 18:59, christiki295 wrote:

I am always surprised to find that there is still confusion about that. I thought that the Book of Tiki made completely clear that mid-century Tiki style (and now the revival inspired by it) is an AMERICAN pop culture phenomenon that never could have originated in the Polynesian islands. Only men unburdened by the weight of tradition and native religion could have come up with such whimsical freestyle interpretations of another culture, creating an art genre in itself.

As I demonstrate in TIKI MODERN, American Tiki fever actually has more in common with the early 20th Century European fascination for "foreign" art. Except for New Zealand, were there were always carving schools, and the Marquesas/Tahiti, where there always was enough tourist demand, the art of Tiki carving was just as dead as the practice of ancestor worship in Polynesia.

Of course there are exceptions, and I am not denying native carvers their right at interpreting their ancestral art, but the essence of Tiki style, that what made me get into it, lies in its happy un-authenticity, which stems from outsiders interpreting a culture they are inspired by.

L
Loki posted on Mon, Dec 17, 2007 1:14 PM

I thought Hawaii was part of America? Since 1959.:P :wink:

On 2007-12-17 12:37, bigbrotiki wrote:

On 2007-12-12 18:59, christiki295 wrote:

I am always surprised to find that there is still confusion about that. I thought that the Book of Tiki made completely clear that mid-century Tiki style (and now the revival inspired by it) is an AMERICAN pop culture phenomenon that never could have originated in the Polynesian islands. Only men unburdened by the weight of tradition and native religion could have come up with such whimsical freestyle interpretations of another culture, creating an art genre in itself.

As I demonstrate in TIKI MODERN, American Tiki fever actually has more in common with the early 20th Century European fascination for "foreign" art. Except for New Zealand, were there were always carving schools, and the Marquesas/Tahiti, where there always was enough tourist demand, the art of Tiki carving was just as dead as the practice of ancestor worship in Polynesia.

Of course there are exceptions, and I am not denying native carvers their right at interpreting their ancestral art, but the essence of Tiki style, that what made me get into it, lies in its happy un-authenticity, which stems from outsiders interpreting a culture they are inspired by.

OK. Now I get it - similar to the reason that "Hawaiians" may have mixed feelings about a Hawaiian tiki bar.

Pages: 1 7 replies