Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Very Tiki weather in Los Angeles right now.

Pages: 1 2 51 replies

We have pleasant, moderate rains falling in my neck of Los Angeles...creating that heavenly multi-channel surround sound effect. It's like an instant Tiki atmosphere, calms everything down. Wonderful.

Gene Rains "Rains in the Tropics"? I dunno, I prefer tropical HEAT. Dark skies make me sleepy. The view from up here:

C

You guys can't agree on ANYTHING.

How about if it's sort of hot AND rainy? Would that make you guys happy?

S

Tiki weather is walking through the snow and opening the door to the Tiki oasis...

T

Oddly enough, as I was heading out of Burbank on Barham into Hollywood, the mist on the hills made me think that it looked very much like Hawaii today. Not nearly as spectacular and beautiful as the Ko'olau mountains, but it beared a resemblence.

Made me really miss Kailua.

[ Edited by: tikiyaki 2007-12-19 16:03 ]

G

Tiki weather is never having to see snow. Kinda wrinkles an aloha shirt if you have to wear a coat over it. Donn Beach moved to Hawaii for a reason.

I guess we can't agree on anything. :wink:

On 2007-12-19 12:46, Swanky wrote:
Tiki weather is walking through the snow and opening the door to the Tiki oasis...

Swanky,

Tiki Oasis has only been in San Diego for 2 years.......

Virtual San Diego;Snow in San Diego: The last day it snowed in downtown San Diego City was December 13, 1967. San Diego, founded in 1769, is the eighth largest city in the ...
http://www.2-sir.com/VirtualSanDiego/ - 34k - Cached - Similar pages

:)

On 2007-12-19 17:30, RevBambooBen wrote:

Snow in San Diego: The last day it snowed in downtown San Diego City was December 13, 1967.

That was when my parents were seniors in high school. They, like multitudes of fellow San Diegans at the time, were so tramatized that they mobilized to make sure a tradgedy like this would never happen again. They immediately took steps to raise the global temperature through the collective increasing of their indivdual carbon footprints. Despite the recent movements to halt all the good that has resulted from all their efforts, rest assured, some of us will carry on the lofty goal of bringing San Diego tiki weather worldwide.
Since humans have caused global warming, and I am a human, I am therefore responsible, and take full credit for, the perfect weather in San Diego, and anywhere else it is warm.

If you are tan and beautiful, you have me to thank!
Buzzy Out!

T

On 2007-12-19 16:52, GatorRob wrote:
Tiki weather is never having to see snow. Kinda wrinkles an aloha shirt if you have to wear a coat over it. Donn Beach moved to Hawaii for a reason.

I TOTALLY agree with you. TIKI WEATHER = NO SNOW.

TIKI to me is ALSO:
PALM TREES
BRIGHT BLUE OCEAN (Man I REALLY miss Kailua beach now)
The sound of crashing waves
SANDY BEACHES
BLACK LAVA ROCK
FALLEN COCNUTS ON THE GROUND
Cool Mid Century Modern Architecture with primitive overtones - A Jutting A Frame roof, bamboo everywhere etc...you get the idea.

......trunks only weather!

T

...and flip flops foa da feet

And rain, let's not forget the rain. Interspersed with periods--brief periods--of sunshine.

On 2007-12-19 20:33, tikiyaki wrote:

On 2007-12-19 16:52, GatorRob wrote:

I TOTALLY agree with you. TIKI WEATHER = NO SNOW.

TIKI to me is ALSO:
PALM TREES
BRIGHT BLUE OCEAN (Man I REALLY miss Kailua beach now)
The sound of crashing waves
SANDY BEACHES
BLACK LAVA ROCK
FALLEN COCNUTS ON THE GROUND
Cool Mid Century Modern Architecture with primitive overtones - A Jutting A Frame roof, bamboo everywhere etc...you get the idea.

And LA has all of that, even down to the Lava Rock at Lava Lounge (RIP) and now at the Purple Orchid.

Still wish we had more rainbows.

Libby and I fired up "The Big Sleep" as the rains fell last night (we think we've finally figured out who killed Owen Taylor, why Carol Lundgren shot Joe Brody, and how deep Eddie Mars was into Geiger's racket, but we still don't know where Geiger's body went until Lundgren laid it "in state" before Marlow's return to the house on LaVern Terrace...)

Epic skies in view all around NOHO today -- real Maxfield Parrish cloudscapes, and that sweet crisp autumn-winter scent in the air. Inspiring...

Nice thread, pc29.

Looking back, I see that it was The Enchanted Tiki Room that did it to me--those moments with the thunder and rain special effects, they seemed so real. Rain and tiki were associated after that. I'd love to see a tiki bar with fake rain effects, that'd be wild.

G

On 2007-12-20 08:16, procinema29 wrote:
I'd love to see a tiki bar with fake rain effects, that'd be wild.

You mean like the Tonga Room? C'mon, it's only 380 miles from L.A. No excuse! I flew 3,000 miles to see it! :)

T

On 2007-12-19 23:38, Son-of-Kelbo wrote:

Epic skies in view all around NOHO today -- real Maxfield Parrish cloudscapes, and that sweet crisp autumn-winter scent in the air. Inspiring...

Nice thread, pc29.

Inspiring indeed.even tho' it's not "tiki weather", Winter in LA is one of my favorite times of the year , and the cloud formations and sunsets are always amazing.

I'm down the street here in Burbank, so I get the same visual perspective as you. Awesome.

I took a nice bike ride down Riverside Drive through the equestrian neighborhood in the cold crisp morning air today. Very refreshing.

[ Edited by: tikiyaki 2007-12-20 09:10 ]

S

I dig all that real tropical stuff, but we're here for the faux tropical stuff. Tahiti is not Tiki. Nor is Hawaii. My ultimate Tiki experience was walking through a foot of snow to enter the Hala Kahiki. Once inside, I was really transported!

The greater the distance between the outside world's tropical-ness and the interior's tiki-ness, the greater the Tiki.

Works for us.

Does that explain the tiki-ness I felt the first time I saw "Star Wars"? I stepped into the theatre and felt transported to another world. The impression wasn't so strong on subsequent viewings but it was still there.

On 2007-12-20 09:15, Swanky wrote:
I dig all that real tropical stuff, but we're here for the faux tropical stuff. Tahiti is not Tiki. Nor is Hawaii. My ultimate Tiki experience was walking through a foot of snow to enter the Hala Kahiki. Once inside, I was really transported!

The greater the distance between the outside world's tropical-ness and the interior's tiki-ness, the greater the Tiki.

Maybe, but I think it is the recreation of the real and, of course, the birthplace of tiki is Tahiti and Hawaii, and the Tiki gods are born of the Hawaiian Islands, so it depends how you define it.

I think the warmer, the more Tiki, but such is just my two coconuts worth (to borrow a phrase from Suger Caddy Daddy).

H

There is nothing better than opening the sliding doors early in the morning, in the winter, and seeing all the tropical plants and the fruit trees and flowers all around the garden and knowing that the sun will be up soon and I can go out and sit in the sun and enjoy my tiki filled garden while I sip on a cup of coffee. And in the evening all the tiki torches go on and I can actually go into the tiki hut and listen to some Exotica music and sip on a Mai Tai. It can't get any better.

T

On 2007-12-22 12:48, hiltiki wrote:
There is nothing better than opening the sliding doors early in the morning, in the winter, and seeing all the tropical plants and the fruit trees and flowers all around the garden and knowing that the sun will be up soon and I can go out and sit in the sun and enjoy my tiki filled garden while I sip on a cup of coffee. And in the evening all the tiki torches go on and I can actually go into the tiki hut and listen to some Exotica music and sip on a Mai Tai. It can't get any better.

Righteous.

LA does have all the elements of faux Polynesia: While there is snow, the tropical flora grows.

Taken 20 minutes ago: The moon, the palm and the snow

...remember Book of Tiki, page 17: Even the palm tree was not native here.

...and when the sun sets, a firmament of Beachcomber lamps begins to twinkle in the night sky:

(who needs Christmas lights when you have a slew of fishnet floats!)

O

A few miles west of Big Bro's , Marina Del Rey at sunset tonight. Happy holidays everyone.

T

Not to quote a REALLY BAD Randy Newman song, BUT....

I LOVE L.A.

Nice pix guys. There really is nothing like this time of the year here in SoCal.

T

It's COLD in Burbank tonite....
Pele was required to keep things warm around here.
Tiki Fire....

On 2007-12-22 21:02, tikiyaki wrote:

It dropped below 60?...:D

On 2007-12-23 10:29, MrBaliHai wrote:

On 2007-12-22 21:02, tikiyaki wrote:

It dropped below 60?...:D

Like about 40, maybe less

It's beginning to feel a lot like a Tiki Christmas!!!

°F°CWeather
Los Angeles, CAClear, 63°Monday
76° / 49°Tuesday
71° / 46°Wednesday

So Cal Style!!!

No kiddin'....It was beautiful today.

Tiki X Mas all the way.

T

Bumping this thread...

This weather in LA right now SUCKS !!!

DEFINITELY NOT TIKI !

H

Cold and rain, definitely not Tiki.

O

A tornado caused damage at Point Mugu just north of Malibu last night and ripped the roof off of a hanger.
Def not Tiki!

Last night was a real BladeRunner night, deep in... BladeRunner weather here all through the weekend. When the rain lets up a little, the city lights take on magic.

Spinning up Vangelis, and having Memories of Green...

Have a Better One.

Yes. It's been raining like a mofo here in Los Angeles. I happened to be driving on Pico the other evening and passed by the Pico Kelbo's location, and saw the tiki through streaming rain. I thought, "If I have to be inching through this chilling rain, I am gonna get three seconds of tiki in!" So I made sure to eyeball the tiki, and it made me feel better.

On 2008-01-25 20:42, Son-of-Kelbo wrote:
Last night was a real BladeRunner night, deep in... BladeRunner weather here all through the weekend. When the rain lets up a little, the city lights take on magic.

Spinning up Vangelis, and having Memories of Green...

Have a Better One.

I was thinking the same thing the other night and you can’t get more Blade Runner than Koreatown (Unless you count Little Tokyo, Chinatown, or Downtown like on Broadway :roll:) but yes very Blade Runner weather.

The rain sucks, but it sure is nice afterwards, when the clouds clear off:

My view from Tiki Island this morning: Griffith Observatory and the Hollywood sign coming out of the clouds

G
GROG posted on Sun, Jan 27, 2008 11:31 AM

Thanks Ernie, that's how it looked AFTER my morning espresso with rum .......(actually, I drink tea)

[ Edited by: mymotiki 2008-06-14 20:49 ]

On 2008-01-26 11:42, procinema29 wrote:
Yes. It's been raining like a mofo here in Los Angeles. I happened to be driving on Pico the other evening and passed by the Pico Kelbo's location, and saw the tiki through streaming rain. I thought, "If I have to be inching through this chilling rain, I am gonna get three seconds of tiki in!" So I made sure to eyeball the tiki, and it made me feel better.

I took a shot today during a break in the rain. That sign is hard to shoot there's trees, wires and a lamppost in the way. Ugh! Also I'm afraid some Russian Mobster is gonna run out and kneecap me. :o

Ah. Charming. Charming!

I drove up to Tahoe today (first time i ever used my 4WD option)....it was snowing on the way up.

Tahoe = 21 F
Snow Flurries (AM and PM)
Humidity: 80%
Current Wind Conditions: S @ 18 mi

It's a winter wonderland...but no tiki. :(

I drink the rum...

To me, it's always Tiki Weather here.

Wow, nice work! :) Those torches remind me of the view the way it was last summer, one evening:

...but I posted this already back then. And it is OK to paint MONKEYS like clowns, just not TIKIS ! :D

Not my intention to stir up any bad memories, BBT. Just going for a bit of fun. I've lived with SoCal's fires, floods, shakers and bakers all my life, and while I light the tiki torches at my home often, I do so with all safety precautions, having grown up mindful of the serious consequences of carelessness with fire here. As for seeing Clownkeys, well, I see lots of things when I drink the rum...:wink:

Pages: 1 2 51 replies