Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Which Exotica LP is most valuable?

Pages: 1 2 84 replies

S

Is the stereo version rarer than the mono with original jacket ? Mine is mono but there is one for sale here in Sushiland .

O

Both pressings of the record came out in mono and stereo. So, there are mono and stereo graphics for each of the two covers. Not sure which is rarer of the originals; I would guess that more mono LPs were pressed. The mono one certainly sounds a lot better.

[ Edited by: OnyaBirri 2008-01-01 19:10 ]

D

Off the top of my head here are the Exotica LPs that seem to fetch the most (at least on Ebay) - in no particular order:

"Sophisticated Savage" - Augie Colon (Mono only - there was a rumour that Scamp records was set to release this album paired with Colon's fallow up "Chant of the Jungle" both in Stereo. Now I've never seen the "savage" LP in stereo--ever!)

"Polynesian Fantasy" - The Out Islanders
"Hula-La" - Chick Floyd and his ORchestra
"Little Grass Shack" - Chick Floyd
"Exotic Dreams" - Ethel Azama
"White Goddess" - Frank Hunter & his Orchestra
"Far Across The Sea" - Gene Rains Group
"Driftwood" - Jimmy Namaro (the stereo version is very rare)
"The Hawaiian Room" - George Hines & Johnny Coco
"Hawaii Connie" - Connie Francis (the Japanese CD is out of print and goes for big $$)
"Exotica '90" - Martin Denny CD (Japan only release, long out of print)
"Kapu"- Milt Raskin (also released as "Exotic Percussio" - now available from iTunes)
"Exotic Paradise" - Paul Conrad
"Polynesian Paradise" - Phil Moore and his Orhcestra
"Sondi" - Sondi Sodsai (Stereo copy)
"Fantastica" - Russ Garcia (both LP and Japanese CD fetch a good price)
"Space Escapades" - Les Baxter

I'm sure there are many more, feel free to edit the list

D

Kapu is available in clean digital form on the iTunes music store.

Just go to the store in your iTunes and do a search for Milt Raskin. Crown and Flair records have several differnt versions of the same album. Be sure to listen to them before buying as some sound much cleaner than others.

S

With regards to the Ethel Azama record , I guess I was lucky when I won mine on Ebay a few months ago for $ 14.95 . The seller said the record and jacket were near mint . The jacket is , but the record , while visually NM , is VG++/EXC - sonically . When I told the seller that the record was very nice but not near mint as he'd said , he said he hadn't played the record , so refunded my money . Now I did not ASK for a refund ; nor did I threaten him with negative feedback . I was just wondering how he'd come up with the NM grade . Anyway , I ended up getting the LP for nada as it would have cost too much $ to ship back from Japan if we'd gone that route . There are some honest Ebayers out there .

[ Edited by: sushiman 2008-01-04 15:22 ]

V

On 2008-01-01 13:49, vegasvic wrote:
Kapu was also released under the title Exotic Percussion, this is probably what you heard about. As far as I know, this was his only LP.

I stand somewhat corrected. There are some digital recordings floating around under a few titles; Even More Exotic Percussion being one of them, and Still More being another. As far as I can tell, Milt never released an LP with these titles -- they just appear to be the original Kapu tracks renamed (or they may be out-takes with different names). I believe this is to be mapping:

Original -> Digital
Kapu -> Forbidden
Koko Head ->Pete's Creation
Leahi -> Diamond Head
Maika -> Blue Eyes
Moon Festival -> Chinese Holiday
Mileka -> Orange Gold
Lolani -> Bird of Heaven
Lehua -> Red Blossom
Lanikai -> Heavenly Sea
Telani -> Evening Star

Some of the digital recordings sound a little brighter than what I have, but the original pressing is pretty bad (Crown Records were notorious for using poor quality vinyl, even rumoured to occasionally "cut" it with beach sand), so it might be my copy.

D

The Ethel Azama LP is hard to find in Stereo in good condition. Sounds like you lucked out on that one, especially if its a stereo copy too.

As for the Kapu digital version, yeah ALL of them sound like repackages of the same album. However, there is one called "takes" that seems to only have 4 tracks and they may be outtakes. I haven't A B-ed them closely to find out. However I can say that the Flair Records version of "Kapu" is the cleanest one they have--very prisp.

B

Here is the Exotic Percussion cover with the 59 cent price sticker on the shrink wrap. While the cover and vinyl are minty....the surface is as pitted as the moon.....

Thurston Knudsen also has some movie connections...music for the Puppetoon featurette "Hoola Boola" - 1941 and "Call Of The South Seas"- 1944. He also did narration for "Curse Of The Ubangi"-1948!

Augie Goupil, his partner on at least one slab o vinyl was a "specialty dancer" in the 1937 flick-Waikiki Wedding...

What about John McFarland's "Provocatif"? I've seen that one for in excess of $150. I satisfied myself with a cheapo reissue.

On 2008-01-04 14:20, Digitiki wrote:

"Sondi" - Sondi Sodsai (Stereo copy)

I was trying to pick up a copy of this on eBay last year and was outbid again and again --- by the same buyer! There was this guy in Bangkok who was apparently collecting every copy of this he could find for any price. He was bidding up to $100 for an album he already owned. Eventually, it looks like he was kicked off eBay and had his account terminated -- but then he turned up again under a new name and continued bidding huge amounts on every copy of "Sondi" that turned up. By this time, I had given up and located a copy from a non-eBay seller for a good deal less.

But I'd still like a mono version of this. The way the vocals continually pan back and forth from speaker to speaker kind of irritates me -- I suspect it would sound more dynamic in mono.

In any case, I totally love her version of Les Baxter's "Love Dance". That is just so cool!

IZ

On 2008-01-04 15:56, vegasvic wrote:

Crown Records were notorious for using poor quality vinyl, even rumoured to occasionally "cut" it with beach sand...

You know, I just picked up a Preston Epps LP on Crown, and there are all these bumps or "crowns" in the vinyl. I've seen them before, but this album is the worst. Sand? If you saw this LP, you just might believe that rumor...

in away...thats kinda surfy, beachy & COOL...just not listening -wise

V

A few more scans for your viewing pleasure. First, the original Tropical Fantasy by Michel Magne. Definitely a rarity, plus it has two tracks not contained on the US Columbia release.

Next, one of my absolute all-time favorite exotica records. In fact, track-for-track, I'd put s'Pacifica by Johnny Spencer and the Kona Koasters right up there in my top 10. Hard to get, but if you find it you'll hear what I mean...

You are right on the Provocatif LP, very high $$. Although, it must be pointed out that some of the more collectable LPs are not necessarily the best (artistically). Also, some on my list are definately easier to find than others but still command a pretty penny.

B

I was so surprised at Sven's picture and event handbill for Thurston Knudson in "Tiki Modern." I played tracks from a 78RPM set by Knudson on my Luxuria radio show last year. I just assumed it was a pre-exotica novelty record, and the dummy that I am... I failed to do any further research on the man. Now that I've looked him up online, I can see that there are some definite 10" and 12" records that are worth seeking out by Knudson.

[ Edited by: BC-Da-Da 2008-01-29 14:49 ]

MH

I just picked up "KAPU" on reel to reel :)

Never heard it and I am looking forward to it!

O

You've GOT to burn that reel of Kapu onto CD. It should sound better than a sealed LP.

7 1/2 or 3 3/4?

MH

7 1/2 4 track

I am just diving in to the world of reel to reel for a little retro fun... I have heard they sound wonderful. I already picked up MD exotica and I am looking for more...

Just make sure the heads are clean, and I would pick up a cheap demagnetizer also.

That's my father, George on that album.
He made it when he was playing at the Hotel Lexington in New York. I think it was mid fifties.

S

On 2008-06-30 21:02, nibblegribitz wrote:
He made it when he was playing at the Hotel Lexington in New York. I think it was mid fifties.

Very cool that your Dad was a pro musician and created something " Tiki " related in the process . My Dad was only good at lifting a glass at the bar .

I'd be very interested in hearing this record .

Another rare copy of the Tiki Gardens lp just sold on eBay for $240.50

http://cgi.ebay.com/EXOTIC-SOUNDS-OF-TIKI-GARDENS-LP-Exotica-Fantasy-Rare_W0QQitemZ380045513758QQcategoryZ306QQssPageNameZMKTRSRCH:CLIST:ITQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

But the highest price I've now ever seen for an exotica lp is $760 for Les Baxter's personal copy of Martin Denny's "Exotica", signed by Denny, who gives props to Baxter for starting him on his career.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Les-Baxters-Personal-Copy-of-Martin-Dennys-Exotica_W0QQitemZ300249275486QQihZ020QQcategoryZ306QQssPageNameZMKTRSRCH:CLIST:ITQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

"To Les Baxter - Whose imaginative genius helped make this album a success and started me on a career - Martin Denny"

[ Edited by: Sabu The Coconut Boy 2008-08-19 23:14 ]

T

Yow. I'd stick that one in a custom glass display-case if it was mine! While I don't have 760 clams to shell out for an LP, for THAT one I might've parted with the baby toe on my left foot.

T

Here are a few of my current favorites.

D

Tikipaka,
Great collection! Love the Wailin Winnie album. Is that a shark she's holding?!!!!

S

This is awesome. I really love that album.

By the way, this topic is fascinating.

Suzanne

Still entertained that Zazz can be purchased at Stop and Shop. Oh, the wonders of Boston.

[ Edited by: suzanne 2008-08-28 09:08 ]

On 2008-08-28 09:06, suzanne wrote:

This is awesome. I really love that album.

By the way, this topic is fascinating.

Suzanne

Still entertained that Zazz can be purchased at Stop and Shop. Oh, the wonders of Boston.

[ Edited by: suzanne 2008-08-28 09:08 ]

I agree with Suzanne that this topic is fascinating. I also really love the personal stories the friends and relatives of some of the music makers. I am also amazed at the volume of recordings that I have never even heard (but would love to). Thanks to all the contributers to this topic. Wonderful reading.

Brady

Can anyone explain the current craze with the Paul Page albums?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270404898540&category=306

They seem to be selling in the $70-$125 range lately.

They still seem to be fairly common at garage sales (at least out here in California), and to my ears they're more Hapa Haole then Exotica.

A few years ago they were selling for $5 on eBay. Can anyone explain the current rise in popularity among collectors?

I can't concur here. And I didn't think they were that common... In 2007 Jeff Central had this to say about it:

On 2007-05-13 03:54, Jeff Central wrote:
I have never seen a picture of ALL three cover variations before. Very nice!
Who has the elusive 4th cover? And while I'm at it who has one for sale? This album is extremely difficult to find in ANY version.

I guess Ohio is far away from Southern California, where Page plied his trade. I sure hope Jeff owns one by now :) The album in question and its four restaurant-specific versions:

Though Paul has put out about 4 other obscure albums, such as this:

...the Ports of call/Castaway/Reef one above is his best effort, where almost every song is a gem. He indeed is an heir to Blanding in terms of pure corny schmalz, but it is not the cliched texts that make his music so endearing to me, it's his theatrical recital of them, mostly done in a deep speaking voice, not sung, as if Johnny Cash or Criswell are singing Aloha-eh. Some of the tracks on the album are more chorus-heavy, but who can resist such clear and simple invitations such as "Let's have Luau, a Luau, a Luau, with lots of Fish and Poi!"

Just like Eden Ahbez is the missing link between the Lounge and the Hippie generation, between Sinatra and Jefferson Airplane, so Paul Page is the link between Hapa Haole and Exotica. Though his style IS pre-Tiki Hapa Haole, he adapted it and added bird sounds (mostly seagulls) and exotic percussion instruments to his slide guitar sound.

And like Eden Ahbez, he put in words some of the basic themes of Polynesian pop. The naive charme of America's love affair with Polynesia oozes out of this record.

I vote the LP by The Tropicales as the most valuable/rare exotica LP. If anyone has it please PM me. The personnel are: Augie Colon, Bill Among & his twin brother, and Clem Low. I spent the whole summer looking for this damn thing.

On 2009-08-30 11:07, professahhummingflowah wrote:
I vote the LP by The Tropicales as the most valuable/rare exotica LP. If anyone has it please PM me. The personnel are: Augie Colon, Bill Among & his twin brother, and Clem Low. I spent the whole summer looking for this damn thing.

I forgot to add: if you are reading this and you do have it, getting in touch with me via PM will help you become a very good samaritan... and I'm not looking to buy it, so no scalpers please.

Yeah, those Paul Page albums are extremely difficult to find here in Ohio. I have been searching for a long time and finally secured a "Port's O' Call" LP and "Passport to Paradise." I am still searching for the others.

Your right Sabu, it is more hapa haole than Exotica but they are so much fun to listen to. Plus, the Island-Aires were all top notch musicians that saw a release of their own album. I think more people are catching on that's all.

I will keep an eye out for The Tropicales album which you speak of Randy. It's bound to turn up sometime.

I heard that Clem Low also released an album by the Clem Low Trio. I will be searching for this too!!! :)

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

IZ

On 2009-08-31 08:05, Jeff Central wrote:

I heard that Clem Low also released an album by the Clem Low Trio. I will be searching for this too!!! :)

Now THAT's "deep down" if you know what I mean. Good luck and happy hunting!

~glen
http://www.kfai.org/jetsetplanet

Thanks bigbro and Jeff for the background and analysis of those Paul Page albums. That's what I was hoping for. I've never given them an in-depth listen. I know that some of the DJs play the "Chicken Kona Kaai" track at various events, but there are similar Hapa Haole novelty songs on other old Hawaiian albums and I was equating the two in my mind.

I seem to find the Pieces of Eight and Ports-O-Call lps most frequently out here at garage sales. Never found a "Reef" yet. It must be the rarest. But again, I'm hunting the neighborhoods where folks went to those restaurants quite a bit and probably picked them up as a memento of their evening.

Years ago I saw they weren't selling for much on eBay, so I would pass them by. Lately I've jumped on the bandwagon and have been re-selling them as well.

Thanks,

Sabu

O
Otto posted on Fri, Jan 19, 2018 2:52 PM

Oddly the "Let's Have a Luau" version of the cover, aka generic version of the cover is not mentioned here?

I thought it was the most common. I thought because he might have only done one-year stints at the restaurants that are named in the other four version titles that the "Luau" cover might have been in print longer than the others?

Nonetheless, all of this and much much more will be released on Subliminal Sounds out of Sweden in mid 2018 with liner notes by Paul Page expert Domenic Priore and with the assistance of Paul's daughter. Included will be "Passport to Paradise" and the below mentioned Blanding Record as well as the Alaska ep, Christmas ep, and other unknown recordings
https://us.napster.com/artist/paul-page/album/lets-have-a-luau

And look for a live tribute to Paul Page at Tiki Oasis 2018 Aug 8 - Aug 12

On 2009-08-29 10:57, bigbrotiki wrote:
I can't concur here. And I didn't think they were that common... In 2007 Jeff Central had this to say about it:

On 2007-05-13 03:54, Jeff Central wrote:
I have never seen a picture of ALL three cover variations before. Very nice!
Who has the elusive 4th cover? And while I'm at it who has one for sale? This album is extremely difficult to find in ANY version.

I guess Ohio is far away from Southern California, where Page plied his trade. I sure hope Jeff owns one by now :) The album in question and its four restaurant-specific versions:

Though Paul has put out about 4 other obscure albums, such as this:

...the Ports of call/Castaway/Reef one above is his best effort, where almost every song is a gem. He indeed is an heir to Blanding in terms of pure corny schmalz, but it is not the cliched texts that make his music so endearing to me, it's his theatrical recital of them, mostly done in a deep speaking voice, not sung, as if Johnny Cash or Criswell are singing Aloha-eh. Some of the tracks on the album are more chorus-heavy, but who can resist such clear and simple invitations such as "Let's have Luau, a Luau, a Luau, with lots of Fish and Poi!"

K

As for Paul Page & his inexplicable popularity, this one appears to be quite rare. I think I got mine for $5.00 an a collectors expo.

Pages: 1 2 84 replies