Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Which Tiki God Is the Most Popular?

Pages: 1 6 replies

Certainly Pele is well known in Hawaii, at least on the Big Island (if only among those who don't confuse her with the soccer star). Everyone correctly associates her with the Volcano, which is still active on the Big Island. However, she is not represented in Tiki - at least as far as Tiki Mugs, etc. are concerned. She was omitted from the Tiki exhibition at the Bishop Museum a year or two ago.

Ku is the foremost Tiki god - and the one most represented in carvings, but who, outside of those in TC, know who he is?

Many of those who have been to Maui have been introduced to the story that he lassoed the sun to slow its journey over the island, thereby increasing the length of the days.

Would it be Lono, responsible for Capt. Cook's hero's welcome and then, upon his return, the realization that he was not a God which culminated in his death?

T

REV. BAMBOO BEN !!!

On 2007-12-24 05:34, christiki295 wrote:
Certainly Pele is well known in Hawaii...However, she is not represented in Tiki - at least as far as Tiki Mugs, etc. are concerned.

She's represented, but just not as commonly seen.

Gecko's Pele Bowl, from the collection of Kingstiedye is one of the most impressive pieces out there!

Also, Tiki Farm put out a hiball glass with her on it a while back. Here's a pic from Hiphipahula's collection:

I tend to separate The likes of Pele & the other Gods. Ku's look great, I wish there was more Pele. Lets us not forget the ETR

H
hewey posted on Tue, Dec 25, 2007 3:04 AM

Internationally I reckon it would be the moai from easter island or hei tiki from new zealand. Everyone knows them, even if they dont necessarily think "tiki".

Mahalo, Trader Tom,

That Volcano Bowl - featuring Pele arising from fire - is dramatic and beautiful.

Pages: 1 6 replies