Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Googie

Pages: 1 13 replies

M

Ok, you can all laugh at me. What is googie? Definition. That is the nickname of my dog mocha.

T

I found when I first started here that the search feature was pretty comprehensive here. If that didn't work I usually tried to google the answer. Saves a lot of double posts and helps you find what you are looking for!

Googie Search

Tikisgrl

G

Buy this. Good book.

I just recently saw a show that said that there was a dinner called Googie's, and it had modern architecture and the name just kinda stuck.

don;t know if its true,
but sounded good to me.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

I have a book on this somewhere -- and this is a good web site about it: http://www.spaceagecity.com/googie/

T

On 2007-12-26 19:22, bigtikidude wrote:
I just recently saw a show that said that there was a dinner called Googie's, and it had modern architecture and the name just kinda stuck.

don;t know if its true,
but sounded good to me.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

That would be a DINER...diNNer is what you eat inside the DINER :)

That is the correcrt answer tho'. "Googie Architecture" refers to the architectural style made famous by Armet and Davis, although, as a Google search just taught me, John Lautner was the architect for GOOGIES Coffee Shop, which is where the term comes from. Armet and Davis designed may of the great coffee shows of the 50's and 60's, tho'.

This link explains it all

http://www.spaceagecity.com/googie/

To me, there is no better and more inventive architecture than Mid Century Modern. It's too bad that most of it has been decimated in favor of bland stucco boxes, or "Taco Bell Tuscanny" (that faux mediterranian/mexican crap) that is popping up everywhere.

The jutting a frames, post and beam construction, asymmetrical roofs, walls of glass juxtaposed with lava rock or flagstone- essentially the blurring of indoor and outdoor space is what Googie is all about.

for a real great resource do yourself a favor and go to http://www.lottaliving.com, and read the message boards.

[ Edited by: tikiyaki 2007-12-26 20:43 ]

On 2007-12-26 18:51, GatorRob wrote:
Buy this. Good book.

I have that Googie Book. The author, Alan Hess, is to Googie as Bigbro is to Tiki.

This is an example of how Googie intersects with Tiki:
http://www.lottaliving.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=1806

TM

Years ago I attended a lecture by Alan Hess on Googie. Around the same time I did a tour of L.A. Googie with John English, expert on the subject. This was when the internet was more of a novelty and you had to rely on folks like that to do all the research for you! I was never sure why I loved (almost) everything mid-century, and putting history to the stuff I always great. Here's one of my favorite places to grab a bite to eat:

TM

On 2008-01-02 13:25, Tiki Matt wrote:
Years ago I attended a lecture by Alan Hess on Googie. Around the same time I did a tour of L.A. Googie with John English, expert on the subject. This was when the internet was more of a novelty and you had to rely on folks like that to do all the research for you! I was never sure why I loved (almost) everything mid-century, and putting history to the stuff is always great. Here's one of my favorite places to grab a bite to eat:

First of all, thanks for the kind words about my website, SpaceAgeCity.com.

My short answer to your question: Googie is exaggerated 1950s/60s Modern architecture, designed for the roadside. It was frequently used for coffee shops, bowling alleys and car washes, and looks like it would fit right into an episode of The Jetson's.

Of course, it's a lot more complicated than that,... but you get the idea.

CJ

Right on! You Seattlites are so with it! :)
Happy new year, good to see you are still here, Rob!

K
Kenike posted on Fri, Jan 4, 2008 4:16 PM

My admiration of googie architecture was a sort of stepping stone into tiki.

Here in McKinney, TX, there's a place called Bill Smith's Cafe which has been a fixture in town for over 50 years. They're only open for breakfast and lunch...all home cooked. The building is rather plain, but they do have this incredible googie sign out front, which looks fantastic early in the morning before sunrise when it's lit up (sorry I didn't get up that early).

Pages: 1 13 replies