Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

HodadHank's tikijunk: Colab w/ Wild Bill progress pics

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 230 replies

There are so many big fish in this pond, I hope there's room for one more little tadpole.

Many cups of good cheer to all in 2009! - Hodaddy

***** UPDATE *****

All this junk has SOLD.

I you would like your own hardwood mini tang, PM hodadhank.

[ Edited by: hodadhank 2009-08-25 08:44 ]

[ Edited by: hodadhank 2009-12-10 18:07 ]

[ Edited by: hodadhank 2010-07-01 13:02 ]

B

I Love your tiki Junk, just show me where you take your tikitrash or did you want me to dispose of the tikijunk for you? Nice junque.

MR

Glad you posted those. They realy are unique and very cool. The little details are very nice.
Go man go!

S

I love those little guys. Keep them comming.
Mahalo for sharing.

Thanks for the kind words fellas. All the larger Mini Mod Tangaroas are made from Hawaiian hardwoods including Koa, that I had mailed back to myself from my visit last visit to Kauai. The smaller Mini Mods are from African hardwood pen blanks. The Ebony versions sold quickly as they held bone skulls and were frowning. I oil these with a natural mixture of seed oils to deepen the grain. They all have a hemp tapa print loincloth (grown from seed to fabric on Hawaii) and are strung on a unique woven organic hemp necklace by the lovely PakoloLolita.

Don't know if I ever posted this nice pic of Sue & Dave from Dorset's {b]HotRodTIKI[/b] during one of their Oasis 7 visits to Freaky Boutiki last summer but it and the goofy photo snapped seconds later may be the only pics of tikijunk TIKI # 2 awaiting some sort of varnish. As with my pendants, an anatomically correct Mod Tangaroa, this time with a huge abalone shell offering inlay. It sold a few months ago. This was only my second carving since the OKI OKI and the best wood I've yet to get my hands on.

tikijunk # 3, a 3' Mod Marq. This one's keeping the snails off the mint in my garden as it stares across the lagoon.

Midnite Mint Patrole

[ Edited by: hodadhank 2008-06-16 18:30 ]

Really like those modern Tangs and your Marq! Really nice lines..

B

Agree with the Capt'n Excellent Stuff and Beautiful wood.

I'm liking the style of that one. A scaresnail, scaretiki tiki scare snail??? Hell I don't know.

P

I love 'em! How do I get one?
They remind me of the real old-school pendants you see on ebay from time to time - the tropical wood, hemp(?) cords and use of found objects really give them a cool 60s beachcomber/surf vibe. There is always room for more fish in the sea!
PS Respect the WANG! Down with emasculated tikis!

B

excellent work.

Benjamin

H

Thanks so much guys for the encouragement with my poles and pendants.

Forgot about this one... Here's a pic of tikijunk #1, (my Oki Oki carving) which now lives in Freaky Boutiki's front window. I remember Bosko telling me over my shoulder that if I carved any more out of the mouth I could use it as a mailbox!

BTW- Ben the tikijunk "BRAND" evolved from many decades of parents, girlfriends and ex-wives asking 'whats your obsession with all this tiki junk?'... one man's trash is another's treasure. Maybe twenty years from now somebody at a garage sale will find an old tiki with the tikijunk logo on the back and be stoked. See, the logo is a San Pan which turned on it's side are my initials.

Anyway, accept no substitutes. LOL!

H

On 2008-01-21 22:03, Paipo wrote:
I love 'em! How do I get one?

Ngâ Kupu Whakamâoritanga Paipo! Send me a PM, I'd love to chat.

On 2008-01-21 22:03, Paipo wrote:
PS Respect the WANG! Down with emasculated tikis!

Absolutely. I remember a story about a mainland Polynesian resturant being forbidden to open until the terrible frightening penises were sliced off any tikis inside!

J

San Pan, HH, and Tiki Junk --- that is pretty darn clever.

Your carvings are great as well. I have to get out there see your Boutiki.

Yeah that's me Johnny: A real smarty pants! Hey! When you comin' out again brah?

I just got a call from my buddy artist Rob Tobin who's visiting Hawaii. He called while standing in front of Duke's statue in Waikiki so we could see him waving at us online! Far out!

Frieze Installation: These pieces were a fun collaboration with Rob, who freehand jigged and helped mount my designs after our fire. Each relief layer was shaped seperately then lamanated. Details were then sanded, chiseled and painted by hand while vertical and after permanent exterior installation at FREAKY BOUTIKI.

B

Love the Bamboo Teeth, and the fact that you think these things out ad you go.Cool Stuff!

H

Sincere thanks for the encouragement.

Here's an incomplete medium mod tangaroa I'm keeping on the back burner. This was a sinewy log I got from some tree trimmers last summer.

Still lots to do: Abalone offering dish, pedistal storyboard, limpit shell accents and a sparred base remain.

[ Edited by: hodadhank 2008-03-19 12:49 ]

PakoloLolita dusted off my very first Mod Tangaroa for a recent visit to Benihana Village at the Las Vegas Hilton.

Koa w/hemp armbands, offering shell and hematite "black pearl". (optional Hawaiian-grown hemp tapa loincloth not shown. It's Vegas, baby!)

Hi Hank...love all the posts of the stuff in your store (Marketplace)
and I really like what you are doing with the pendants and carvings.
Keep showing us more and more.
Mindy says hi...he still wants to travel west :)

T

hodadhank, Very cool store front. And I don't exactly know why but it must be your brown hoodie (matching shoes) but you have a tiki monk look going on. And the flow of your jaw line into your Goat tee has the look of Little Lost Tikis warrior drawings which is cool too

H

On 2008-03-19 19:13, teaKEY wrote:
hodadhank, Very cool store front. And I don't exactly know why but it must be your brown hoodie (matching shoes) but you have a tiki monk look going on. And the flow of your jaw line into your Goat tee has the look of Little Lost Tikis warrior drawings which is cool too

Hmmmm... I see what you mean teaKEY.

I'm not suprised when my likeness appears in Kinny's work as he's always thought of me as the abusive step-father he always wanted, and so long as he continues tossing loose change out the window as his limo glides by the shop, I won't lawyer up.

Still in progress. I messed up a spar coat and need to sand AGAIN. Ey carumba.

[ Edited by: hodadhank 2008-12-06 12:48 ]

H
harro posted on Mon, Apr 7, 2008 2:53 PM

thats a damn fine looking tiki there hodad!

love the texture and the whole abalone shell - is it finished now?

Pretty cool! That is definitely a unique style, and it works. And you NEED a unique style for where you live!

S

Right on! he is looking great.

I have to try that shell thing someday.

Thanks for the feedback ** Harro**, Surfintiki and ** Seeksurf**. Eric The Red poured some resin into the empty abalone cavity in a very successful attempt to stablize the pulpy wood behind the shell itself.

Not forgettin'you Conga! Have you gotten any pictures of Mindi in college surrounded by a sea of empty beer cans ,pizza boxes and
unfinished term papers? LOL!

Dig this! My friend Rob Tobin took a picture of Freaky Boutiki's Grateful Gargantua in case he bumped into Billy Kreutzman,
Hawaiian resident and drummer for The Grateful Dead since 1965. Billy loved our tiki, and tikis in general.

Aloha Hodadhank! Your Tiki's are looking very cool and very creative keep em comin my friend, Aloha , Mooney

Great looking tiki Mr. Hodad. I've popped back to look at it a few times
and it makes me feel good. It just has a really cool vibe going on, or are
you responsible for the vibe?

Great detail on the Koa!

Appreciating the encouragemant fellas.

Working on a few new pieces at the moment. Pix soon. couch potatoing tonight.
Finding inspiration in the strangest places...

[ Edited by: hodadhank 2008-06-16 18:53 ]

H

ULTRATANG. Not a very recent pic as this fella will be finished in a day or two. Just a sneak peek.

[ Edited by: hodadhank 2008-07-01 14:05 ]

S

Looking good for what i can see

H

Thanks Seek! Maybe these will help.

After carving Mod-Tangs of various sizes for the past couple years, I was looking at some old pics of the 1970 Progress & Harmony for Mankind expo in Osaka when the vivid colors reminded me of an old childhood friend...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryUOZKV9nzI

Originally dubbed for USA in 1966, not only did Ultraman save Tokyo each week by beating the crap out of giant rubber monsters, he subtly ingrained the basic Tangaroa facial features in the brains of thousands of American kiddies.

For a closer look come to the Light Gallery in Costa Mesa July 19th.
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=28746&forum=17&start=75&77

[ Edited by: hodadhank 2008-07-05 02:02 ]

I have an Ultraman alarm clock that my brother got in Tokyo. The alarm shouts something in Japanese that I have no clue about. Apparently he is still very popular in Japan. I was a huge fan as a kid!

Hey! Remember when he fought Godzilla?

anyhooo... Been getting ready for the biggest Tiki Shindig in the West... Tiki Oasis 8 being held right here in San Diegy. Yep.

Been keeping busy with a group of what I'm now calling "Lost Sailors", these Micro-Tangs are carved from 100% AUTHENTIC SHIPWRECK TEAK!

It seems the light schooner Vaya was making a hasty retreat from particularly inclement winter seas when a rouge wave dragged her across the rocks at the Bay Channel entrance. Sinking fast, and with water pouring in below deck the captain set course dead-a-ground coming to rest in a six or more feet of chilly water in Mariners Cove. After stripping what electronic equipment could be saved he abandoned the remaining wooden hulk to the elements...

... and a mysterious midnight salvage crew.

Local legend tells that some nights the figure of a fat man with a pointy beard can still be heard yelling eerily from shore "don't bother swimming back without those pulley's Murf!"

My workspace is Freaky Boutiki's counter top! Visible below are a couple Lost Sailors, other assorted half finished Mini Tangs, an Italian briar blank, some tricked-out beads for PokoloLolita's boars tusk jewelry, a couple Maori style scribbled boxes, abalone, clam, scallop and a half dozen Bamp Mut marriage fetishes that I had absolutely nothing to do with.

Hey dig it! My first apprentice! Caitlin! (don't let her size fool ya. This skinny little minnie wields a monster jackhammer for the city by day!)

[ Edited by: hodadhank 2008-08-06 18:09 ]

MY little brother Captain Dread Pirate Murf (aka OUR MAN IN THE PACIFIC) will be swinging down from a music gig up in France and Cisco to lend a hand at Oasis 8! Pictured with Artist Robert Tobinand some anonymous earthy beach bunnies on Oahu or maybe Maui(???)

Murf's wearing the only Mini Mod Ku I've ever carved, complete with MOP harmonica inlay and a detailed Monkey (Murf's dog who had to stay in SD) curled around the base.

H

My Maori box was making some progress... but since Benzart's Maori box is only like five million times cooler, I'm just gonna whip this ugly piece of crap off the porch into the lagoon.

Caitlin is a Godsend allowing me to take breaks from my medium Lost Sailor Tang to help customers or when my knuckles start to throb or to work on other nagging projects, like finally finishing up the never-ending Seaforth Marina Commemorative Tang visible on the handtruck.

[ Edited by: hodadhank 2008-08-06 18:10 ]

H

Finished up a medium Masked Tang w/ abalone and matching pendant.

and w/ Lost Sailor Tang in progress.

*** UPDATE ***

Medium Masked Tang w/ Abalone Offering Dish including Matching Mini-Tang Necklace.

$250

[ Edited by: hodadhank 2008-08-24 21:05 ]

Very cool Tang. Your Maori box is looking awesome! 8)

B

"My Maori box was making some progress... but since Benzart's Maori box is only like five million times cooler, I'm just gonna whip this ugly piece of crap off the porch into the lagoon."

HANK,, Don't you Dare sweep this box away, it IS Really, Honestly WAY Cooler than Mine was, and has WAY Much more going on. You CAN"T Quit now, you got it by the short hairs!
So get back to work on it and post more pictures! Thanks

Yup, that box is looking EXCELLENTE! Boxes seem to be the thing lately. Finish it! And post some sharper pics!
Abalone tang is way way cool.

Thanks guys no need to talk me off the ledge! I was just kiddin'. Just have to put it on the back burner as I don't wanna rush it.

"During The Meanwhilest"(?) heres a tour of the wierd crap in my house. lol!

Sorry dark clutter fans, built like the bridge of an east bound wooden steamer this 1920's house digs the morning light! Not roomfulls of collectables compared to most of you guys & gals.

Generally unfit for guests, Our stovetop is currently covered with hemp in various pots of bubbling natural dye! MMMMMMmmahahahahhahaha!Oh well, gotta get back to my shells, wood, tusks, hemp and chicken bones... Must be Zombie Island time.

Hank, is that Rick James, slowing down to watch the carving in front of your store? That's super-freaky, man!!

P
Paipo posted on Sun, Aug 10, 2008 2:29 PM

Great stuff Hank - there's always something fresh and inspiring happening in here. Borkum Riff eh? I used to hook that stuff from my old man and smoke big roll-your-own trumpets of it. Do they still make the awesome bourbon-flavoured one?
I love the "lifestyle" type pics too - contrary to the few whiners who moan about shots of random stuff/sunsets/tools/waves/progress, I think most (if not all) of us carvers like to see the environment that people create in, and all the stages involved with that creation. This place would be pretty boring if all we did was post pics of our finished work.
PS you gonna do any other styles in that shipwreck teak? Cause I already have a mini-mod Tang....

I was just wondering if you needed any help with that hemp? Wait, hemp is just fabric well if you had any kush I'd be right over. Just Kiddin Your carving skills are pretty freakin awesome and I'd come hang at your pad any ol day of the week.

UUUUUGH! Flannel shirt and painter pants? That guy's prolly got loose joints or Zep tickets.

Yeah that's me in high school carving an elaborate laminated Scorpion platter nightmare w/arching butress legs which fell and shattered into a million pieces on presentation morning.
My teacher gave me an F. I should have carved a tiki.

My only Hawaiian Style Mini-Mod w/paua inlay harmonica and wrap around Monkey! Her tail creates a spiral below. My little brother Murf is Monkey's papa, raising her from a pup with ohana in our shop. Since moving to Oahu as a professional harp player, I figured he could wear her around his neck till the lenghthy mainland quanantine runs its course. Dig the Hemp oil Spermy!

More life on the beach, SoCal-Style for Paipz!
Tiki bought w/my parents in Hawaii as a child and a Gauguin print that hung in my grandparent's Passaic, NJ rattan & plant filled porch... aquired w/greenstamps I believe!

Painted this tapa lampshade years ago using acrylic... the piece of lava on the left is all that remains other than fond memories of the Islands vast clamshell waterfall (rescued post-demolition).

***** SOLD *****

THE tikijunk SKELETON CREW
Pokie, Spoonie, Clubby, Stabby and Chubby.

These were originally intended for the auction I expected to occur at the end of Oasis8.

$100 for the set of five.

*** UPDATE ***

Expect limited sets of these fellas in time for Halloween.

**I'd love to Zombify sets to match your FAMILY, BAND, BOSS, PAROLE OFFICER or anyone you think needs a handcarved undead makeover.

Please PM with pictures of our intended victems!**

[ Edited by: hodadhank 2008-10-02 12:00 ]

Finally... the "Lost Sailors" series

Mini-Tangs that have actually slept with the fishes!

Carved from 100% AUTHENTIC SHIPWRECK TEAK!

No are two are alike and range in size from two to five inches. Some bare the markings of seaworms, while others retain patches of original weathered deck varnish or screw holes.

I intended to keep my abstractions limited to reinforce my rectangular medium. Pigments used reflect the color scheme of the drowned Vaya.

Enjoy.

**It seems the light schooner Vaya was making a hasty retreat from particularly inclement winter seas when a rouge wave dragged her across the rocks at the San Diego Bay Channel entrance. Sinking fast with water pouring in below deck the captain set course dead-a-ground coming to rest in a six or more feet of chilly water in Mariners Cove. After stripping what electronic equipment could be saved he dissapeared, abandoning the rolling hulk to the tides... and a mysterious midnight salvage crew.

Local legend tells that some nights the shadowy figure of a fat man with a pointy beard can still be heard yelling eerily from shore "don't bother swimming back without those pulley's Murf!"**

LS1 - hand carved shipwrecked teak, Shell w/ tahitian shell pearl, pigments, seed oils, organic hemp braid w/ ostrich shell clasp.
$48

[ Edited by: hodadhank 2008-08-24 21:29 ]

LS2- hand carved shipwrecked teak, Shell w/ tahitian shell pearl, pigments, seed oils, organic hemp braid w/ ostrich shell clasp. Some nice old paint on this fella's right elbow and complete face of sea worn vintage varnish.
$48
***** SOLD *****

[ Edited by: hodadhank 2008-08-24 21:30 ]

[ Edited by: hodadhank 2009-01-03 16:55 ]

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 230 replies