Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

HodadHank's tikijunk: Colab w/ Wild Bill progress pics

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 230 replies

J

On 2009-03-09 10:32, benella wrote:
The marquesan tiki's pretty nice but the moai is amazing, this masterpiece had to be on the next page:

I agree, a nice take on a traditional piece. You are a real artist with your interpretation of this style, yet a realistic replication of the symbols on the back side.

A very nice carving.

JP

Mahalo guys.

Here's The Big Mellow Moai commisioned by Guava Beach Bar & Grill right on Mission Boulevard.

I had a lot of fun with this guy and had recently finished his little brother and worked pretty fast. I guess spending lots of downtime in the gym, boxing or at the Dôjô has increased my stamina.

Erik estimated I may not even have ten hours in him.

Dig the tattooed chest (carved old english font so popular w/beach hardbodies these days, my sneaky Tikijunk logo on his moaicep and shiney abalone belly button...

They want to encourage drunk girls to rub his belly 4 luck! At night this should reside under a pin spot.

Hodaddy,,, that moai is great!!!! Wish they could display it to see tha killah detail on the back. Beautiful work~

LT

If I sit there in his place will I get my belly rubbed?

Dood - you look different.

On 2009-04-23 16:51, hodadhank wrote:

Hank!
the more i look at that Moai
the more i really really like him!
and the birdmen on the back...
:)
Bliss!

You kids Rock the SoCal in a Big Way!

kisses to rita and monkey!
and hugs to the rest of ya!

Yea, me too, cool Moai Hank. I love the folded arms, the color, the stuff
on the back, well, you know. Keep up the good work.

B

Yeah Me too, Ditto those guys. Nice color job and Great carve, front And back.

BUT, Who IS This guy, your long lost baby brother, or did you finally find something? He looks Awfully Familiar! :o :D :)

H

Ha! Hi guys...

Yeah, I guess I do look pretty different these days. I think my buddy Heath was dissappointed we no longer BOTH looked like a couple of deranged civil war veterans.

I've been trying to live healthier: Tai Chi, jogging everyday, lifting weights, sparring w/some boxers at the gym and mixed martial @ friend's pivate dojo. Alot of things changing in my life lately for the better.

Not too shabby for 43, which I hear is the new 33! (Rediculous).

Hey Ben, here's that old box you convinced me not to chuck in the bay. Not perfect but a great excersise in Maori style detailing. Those fern patterns are so important to the culture they show up everywhere.

AHHHH-Baloney eyes!

H
Heath posted on Fri, May 1, 2009 10:07 AM

HEY NOW!

S

The Big Mellow Moai Looks great in the bar.
You are looking healthy and happy.

B
Bowana posted on Fri, May 1, 2009 9:22 PM

Looks like you've been keeping those carving tools sharp, Hank. Nice detail on the box.

Looking good, you big stud-man! I hardly recognized ya.

Bo

B

hey hh
the new chops and the new you look great

JT

Hey Hank, You Lean, Mean, Chopping Machine,
Looking Good.
Hope to see you soon.
-Johnny B.

B

WOW, Excellent job on the box Ho Daddy don't know how I missed this so long. Really happy you saved it.

hey there Hodaddy Hank! great pieces, man! love the Mezzo marq most-more proof of early travel/trade between the two!!

H

Thanks 4 da kind woids fellas!
Koa Tangaroa on its way to Minnesota! Aloha little fella.

So my Seaforth Memorial Tangaroa may end up taking up permanent residence at THE LANDING, once a large Squared mid century a-frame, now a mediterranian eyesore. Truns out a good buddy is great friends with the owner.
The tapa pattern on the pedistal is based upon structural elements photographed at the doomed architectural gems prior to demolition.

B

Nice stuff there Hodaddy, we need MORE Pic's!

Hey Hank!
Very cool maori box
and great new look you're sporting there!

Holy Moly... Puter died this mornin AGAIN. Only spent seven hours on phone with Bagladesh to fix. Needed a new Memory stick. Same thing happened exactly a month and seven days ago. Of course my one month warrenty had expired last week. grumblegrumble...

Hahaha!!! More pics??? No way Ben. Somebody told me I was on the top ten picture whore list I immediately got selfconcious. " ...am I a shameless self promoter? I used to hate those kind of guys..." You know somebody actually posted a sign on the fence of poor out of business Solai Bamboo on Morena Blvd saying they HAD MOVED TO ANOTHER LOCATION which turned out to be another well known tiki store. Man thats some big brass ones, eh?

So bro, where can I get one of those groovy hook knife sets for my students? I've got a dude who's kookoo for cocopuffs and is gonna ruin all my blades before he even has a chance to cut off a finger with one of his very own knives. You gonna get some of those thinner flexy ones let me know I'll take a grip! Hows FLA?

Thanks Kinny. Tryin to attract the Betties. You gots Betties 4 me in Long Beach? Everybodies telling me to dye my hair too. Cripes. I dunno. I earned every bit of this damn grey and everybody knows all the alpha gorillas are always the ones with the silver hair!

I still mean to come up to visit KinnyCave but these new seventy hour weeks are really cramping my social life. I keep expecting to pass myself on the walk from the bay to the beach! I haven't been able to box, run or kayak in ages and excersise is important for my noggin... But I got to hang a youth art exhibit in Carmel Ranch yesterday with my friend Chaz Bot and I only had to get up at five to do it. Fun, But think I'm gonna send ETR to carve exhibition at the Hanohano Outrigger Luau. He's better than me anyway and feakier. besides I'm bushed.

P

hank, order those sets with the plastic handles from warren cutlery.

http://www.warrencutlery.com/indexb.htm

*Part KB3 - Basic Kit (Our best selling whittling kit)
Kit includes: *HB3- 3.75" long plastic handle thats tough+ durable with a three way solid brass jaw chucking system(holds large and small blades as well as our interchangeable chisels and gouges). *Set of 6SBL interchangeable knife blades(made from high carbon tool steel double tempered & hardened to Rockwell 60 C-scale): #20(15/16" radius),#21,#11,#10(15/16" radius),#8(2" radius) and #22(radius 2"). ALL TOOLS COME RAZOR SHARP!!!! This is a great starter kit you can add many accessories to after you get started with your hobby.MADE IN THE USA!!
Price: $18.50 *

Right on! Thanks Perry!!!

Hey man is it hot enough to cook an egg on the hood of your car yet? Take a picture 4 me and throw some bacon and a side of hashbrowns on there too! Mahalo nui loa!

Workin on some comish stuff right now... a troublesome mahogany maori shifter knob for some nice hot rodders 9knuckles are screaming... and a mask for the coach of the Islanders but was able to seal Kewpietang in time for Oasis.

Needed someone to guard the salt water taffy while Toni sold MUNKTIKIs!. Had a couple nibbles but wasn't ready to part with him yeat so quoted outrageous prices!

Maybe twenty inches tall...

Find Kewpie...

Mahagony Maori shifter knob based on a great Mieko resin.
I still need to polish and inlay paua disc w/ shifter pattern
on top. This wood is a knuckle buster! Ouch.

On 2009-08-24 19:18, hodadhank wrote:
Mahagony Maori shifter knob based on a great Mieko resin.
I still need to polish and inlay paua disc w/ shifter pattern
on top. This wood is a knuckle buster! Ouch.

Finally!!! Git dat thang finished. I dig the stain.

And it is heavy enough for a shifter knob! 1/2 lb. probably.

B

Really nice carve Hank, LOTS of tight detail in this one and it Sure introduces you to the good and BAD aspects of carving Mahogany. very well done.

N

Great shifter knob - a lot of character

FIND KEWPIE...

do i win?
do i win?

is there even a prize?

huh huh huh?

More of the mahagony knob that wouldn't die and some comish in-process mask pics for Benzart.

B

Love the detail on the shifter knob, those spirals are fun fun fun in the mahogany which is "Chippy" to start but you have to chance knife directions every1/4 turn or so so you aren't cutting INTO the grain like you are doing in Both the last 2 photos. Cutting Into the grain like that makes for a ragged edge or detail line. On that "V" notch line you swap the chisel around so you cut With the grain and it becomes much easier.Does that make sense? Just one of those things you pick up after awhile carving wood.
Love that Shirthank, Where did you find it?

H
Heath posted on Fri, Sep 11, 2009 6:39 PM

Shifter knob looks good Hank.
But why is this guy upside-down? :wink:

On 2009-09-11 18:39, Heath wrote:
Shifter knob looks good Hank.
But why is this guy upside-down? :wink:

Somebody started carving him wet and now his bottom is all moldy. ick. Somebody should come by and finish him. :)

On 2009-09-13 12:09, Mr. NoNaMe wrote:

On 2009-09-11 18:39, Heath wrote:... why is this guy upside-down? :wink:

Somebody started carving him wet and now his bottom is all moldy. ick. Somebody should come by and finish him. :)

Hahahaha! For those playing at home that is a really cool Crested Hawaiian Tiki head started here at Freaky Boutiki by Heath himself and abandoned for a few months. Fear not we shall endevor to drag Heath back to carving beautiful Hawaiian style tikis. A talent like Heath's is a terrible thing to waste.

Anyhoo... The Maori Shifter was a hit and I'll post pics of it instaled and rockin down the highway as soon as I recieve them.

On to the next comission, A foot or so tall mask of the Glendale AZ ISLANDERS team logo for proud football coach as a gift to the team!

Benzart asked me to post more in -progress shots but since i'm the shutterbug these shall have to do. On to the next commission...

B

Cool stuff Hank.. About time you finished that NICE Shifter knob too. It really looks Sick!

T

very cool shift knob, let me know when you get more thats very cool

cool shift keep up the good work

Jose sez Ola! He's ficus.

B

Top shelf.

Cool, Hank!
I thought I remembered some sort of Marquesean pattern carved into the wing, is it on the other side?

J

Jose want a woodchip!

B

Wow, How'd I miss Jose here beggin' for crackerz?

Cool one Hodad

Wonderful carve Hank!

Love the color to this piece and the aged look.
Also like how you utilized the log with the branch below.

Very creative!

Aw shucks. Thanks fellas!

A little night carving on the Boulevard...

Love it, Hank. What kind of wood?

Dang Hank!
is that the start of a drum
or a mug
or a hot tub for menehunes?

Great Job!

H

I love it.

B

ME Too!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 230 replies