Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

Drifter's Reef - Nautical Surf Tiki Deck

Pages: 1 17 replies

Aloha

Originally we were going to just make a 4'X4' cover for a large old hollow tiki to protect it from the elements.
Then it grew into a small deck to view the future lava/clamshell pond fountain thing. Where the lumber is stacked there will be an ugly condensor for the new HVAC system I am installing.

The back side will have a low profile so it does not stick up too high above the fence and be somewhat neighbor friendly. It is also completely portable so it can be disassembled and moved if we change our mind.

These were taken a few months ago. If the rain lets up I will try to get an update with the Tiki in place

everything you do is top notch. I can't wait to see the finished pics!

T

What did you say?... Huh.. What? What till the AC kicks off..... Ok what where you saying...

Thanks Polynesiac.....and we here on the west coast are not as dumb as we look. We actually turn off our AC before we go outside to sit on the deck! Even if we forgot to turn it off I installed a super quiet high effiency condensor that makes less noise than an electric shaver.

It's a small space so the sitting area of the deck is about 12'X10'

The weeds are happy with the rain

Still need to plant stuff

The 7' Tiki from the defunct Shelter Isle Apartments in Arcadia, Ca

Later I will put something around the condensor, the roof didn't completely protect the Tiki from the wind driven rain.

Just around the corner from the Rincon Room....

H

That came together nicely! Looks like a pleasant place to spend a little time. I like the pile of skulls below the tiki--looks like he just ate a pile of heads and spit the skulls out at his feet.
I built my outside paradise a little too close to my A/C unit too--no choice really. I consider all I've built a shrine to the great god of air conditioning.
I did however build a 'surround' for it out of 1x4's--held together with a few screws for easy access if necessary.

Great job!

B

Thanks Howland. If you made a solid surround I recommend keeping it at least 10" away from the condensor for proper air flow. Otherwise it will take longer to cool your digs. If you made a lattice type thing then it should be OK.

H
hewey posted on Sun, Jan 6, 2008 4:06 PM

Looks great, love the shape of the roof with the extension over the tiki :D Really diggin the nautical props too

Very cool getaway you have created!!! I also, totally dig the skulls at the feet of the tiki.....I might have to borrow that idea for my tiki getaway...if you dont mind!!

MR

Very nice addition to your place. Go man go!
Looking great.

Boy, Ron, as if your backyard couldn't get any cooler!

Nice work!

Makes me wish May was here so I could get out and work on my backyard with out a foot of snow in it.

B

Thanks all....Go ahead and steal away Meheadhunter...we all do. I did that cause of the gap in the bottom front of the tiki. Here it is at twilight.....

Very nice...I like the skulls too and it looks awesome lit up. I love those two little palms too!!! Great Job :)

M

On 2008-01-06 10:02, bongofury wrote:

Your yard is looking great!

What did you use for ground fill in your planter?

Very cool Ron. What's the story on those fish wiggle screens? I like them!

Murph..the ground cover is lava rock.....
Diablo, the wood wiggle lattice thingys I found at a local nursury, New owners were cleaning out a shed and found 4 of them... from the 70s he thought. I had a couple of em mounted on the walls of the atrium at the other house. I may cut them down to go around the A/C

H
harro posted on Fri, Jan 25, 2008 4:03 AM

cool little escape.

I love the effort you put into every aspect of your tiki home projects.

thanks for the great inspiration.

harro.

What a cool place to hang out in.. I like it a lot, the rope around the deck ties it together great. Really nice job!
aloha

What a fabulous way to display a great artifact. Very inspiring. You make me want to have a better yard.

Pages: 1 17 replies