Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Adios, Arrivederci, Auf Wiedersehen, Aloha, Goodbye....

Pages: 1 20 replies

V

To all my Tiki Central Ohana -

It's a New Year and a time for reflection and new directions. So, after five years of broadcasting at Live365.com, I've decided it's time to take Vegas Vic's Tiki Lounge off-the-air. It's been a great run, and I like to think that I have, in some small way, helped bring this great music to a few more people. I've had a lot of fun and made a few friends along the way. The last day the station will be free is January 22nd, after that it will be available for VIP listeners only.

All the best,

Vic

S

Hey Vic, can you tell why? You have a pretty strong listener level. I'm sure it's still costing you $30+ a month to keep the station playing. That was why my station left the free airways.

Thanks for your station regardless.

Thanks so much for all you've taught me vegasvic!!!!

I'm a fan!

Ditto.

T

What about the podcast ?

Too bad tho'...Your show was really great.

B

Love the show. Its the soundtrack to my Monday-Friday. I'll miss it!!

G

Well that just starts the new year on a bad note! :( I don't tend to listen much to Live365 broadcasts anymore, but I do subscribe to your podcast and have enjoyed every one starting with #1. Hopefully you'll keep that going? But whatever you do, thanks for the great exotica, lounge and surf tunes over the years.

C

your podcast has been wonderful and will be sorely missed in my house.

V

On 2008-01-07 11:39, Swanky wrote:
Hey Vic, can you tell why? You have a pretty strong listener level.

I just didn't feel that I could commit the time necessary to take the station to the next level. Listening levels peaked around 6K per month a year or two ago, and are now hovering around 3K. I wanted to see it get to and sustain around 10K. The drop-off may be because of people leaving Live365, or maybe they were just bored with the station. Either way, its too much time out, not enough love back.

More importantly, the RIAA, CRB, and SoundExchange are bound and determined to kill internet radio. The new ludicrous fees are going to kick in shortly (pending appeals) which will force companies like Live365 to either go out of business or charge small broadcasters like me a lot more (maybe $500 a month, retroactive to 2006). If that happens, Live365 will either be gone or all Pro within a few months.

Man that's too bad because it's a great station. I've enjoyed listening and thanks for doing it this long.
Laffo

Vic,

Thats a damn shame, but I can understand your reasoning. There are a lot of stagnant playlists on live 365, but both the Tiki Lounge and Naked City showed a lot of effort on quality and fresh playlists.

I'm a VIP listener, how much longer do we have?

Sincere thanks for all the cool sounds.

V

On 2008-01-13 16:11, Vonratnick wrote:
I'm a VIP listener, how much longer do we have?

As far as I know, VIP listeners will still have full access to the playlists after the station goes "VIP Only". If you can hear Naked City now, you should be okay.

i'm new to your podcast, so forgive my newbie question. I'm working my way through them from the beginning and enjoying them immensely. I noticed that they are becoming further apart towards the end - is the podcast related to the radio show? is the podcast coming to an end too?

Warm Aloha Vic

your podcasts were the ultimate work soundtrack. Very bummed to see you pull the plug, but perfectly understandable. Couple of my favorites were Mileage Run and 49th State Records Tribute. Mahalo for the music and the vibes.

V

On 2008-01-13 18:35, royaltiki wrote:
is the podcast coming to an end too?

The podcasts will continue. I don't want to just go through the motions though, so I'm interested in feedback as I've changed the style a few times. I usually try to have each show focus (sometimes more loosely than others) around a particular theme. I'm open to suggestions.

Mahalo Vic, We've been listening to you from the beginning. Thanks for all the great music you've shared with us, so sorry to see you go.

Mr and Mrs Hoptiki

Hey Vic, thanks for all the fantastic shows. I started listening to exotica through the podcast, it really introduced me to a whole new range of music.

When I open iTunes the first thing I do is check for an update to your podcast.

Sorry to hear about the finish of the channels on Live365 but great to hear the podcast will survive.
I really enjoy the features and tributes to specific exotica musicians.

Thanks again
J

T

Vegas Vic ran away with a showgirl with big cans and good credit !!!!

K
Keviki posted on Tue, May 6, 2008 9:43 AM

This is tragic to hear, and thanks for answering my email about it when I asked, but I totally understand your reasons for bowing out.

B

Thank you For all the great music and hours of entertainment. You will be missed. The tiki world takes another hit. With the last Hukilau drawing near 2008 seems to be destined to be a year of endings. Lets hope that we see as many new beginnings in the.

Vegas Vic,

A big mahalo for all the great music and great historical information about the artists and songs. Tiki Lounge was my favorite pod cast - best thing on the net! An amazing source of exotica music. It must have been a huge task to put together such a great pod cast on a regular basis, - I was amazed how long you kept it up. I real heroic effort and a boost to the world of exotica. I will treasure the pod casts episodes I was able to save to my heard drive for a long time to come.

Thanks!

A Hui Hou Vegas Vic!

Pages: 1 20 replies