Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

nett jr - Tiki Tour - 4/26/08

Pages: 1 2 90 replies

B

Sheesh!

A guy leaves town for a few days and suddenly his minion...errrr.....partner, runs amok with crazy talk!!

I will most likely NOT be there friday night. Sorry guys. Im sure you'll carry on just fine without me.

The bus will leave around 11.30am (if you;re not staying Friday night, please try to get to the hotel by 11am) and return around 11.30pm. Pappy & I are mixing some nice cocktails for the bus and it should be a grand time!!

I think I'm also going to have two seats available. Im running through the waiting list right now, but so far, no takers (a few more people to ask however)...so if you're not on, and want to be added to the waiting list, pm or email me [email protected]

Also, because of Scottes suggestion, I've decided to change the itinerary. This will be the A-Frame tour. No bar stops. Hope everyone likes pancakes! :wink:

Pancakes? I'm just gonna mix up some melted butter and maple syrup then instead of the Rum Barrel.
Mmmmmmmmm! Pancakes....Boobies.... Football.... ZZZZzzzz...

K

The unabashed ordering of a gin & tonic?

Surely this sin would get you thrown off the bus in the middle of I-95!

S

I can't wait for another dose of New England Tiki. Yay.

Suzanne

And this time it won't be 100 degrees and miserably humid, yay!

On 2008-04-24 07:42, kristiki wrote:

Can I order one bashfully?

Sometimes ya just gotta reset the mechanism after a few of the sweet drinks...

On 2008-04-24 11:37, leisure master wrote:

On 2008-04-24 07:42, kristiki wrote:

Can I order one bashfully?

Sometimes ya just gotta reset the mechanism after a few of the sweet drinks...

Yeah, it's the drink to have when you're trying to convince yourself you're not really drinking! :wink:

Hey, a good gin & tonic is a tasty, refreshing experience. Use decent gin, and add a drop or two or bitters... yum. Sure, it's no mixology achievement, but so what?

K

On 2008-04-24 12:42, Looie Kalua wrote:
Hey, a good gin & tonic is a tasty, refreshing experience. Use decent gin, and add a drop or two or bitters... yum. Sure, it's no mixology achievement, but so what?

Don't get me wrong, I loves me some G&T. It's my go-to if I don't know how decent the bartender is, because it's nearly impossible to screw up.

But it would feel like sacrilege to order one on a tiki tour!

S

Bingo!!

I like a good G&T, too.
But I like a Mai Tai even more.

On 2008-04-24 13:26, kristiki wrote:

Don't get me wrong, I loves me some G&T. It's my go-to if I don't know how decent the bartender is, because it's nearly impossible to screw up.

I hear ya. It's what I drink at my mother-in-law's house! And, again, it's not like it's really drinking. It's like Gatorade or something!

On 2008-04-24 13:26, kristiki wrote:

See, the way I see it, ordering a rum and coke is WAAYYYY more sacrilegious, but what the heck do I know? Campari and soda is my go-to drink (although I also loves me a G&T, plus bitters.)

Oh good, someone who can help me knock back Campari (I tend towards Campari and OJ however).

Ok. I live in New Bedford, but won't be able to join everyone on the bus. Approximately what time will the entourage be at Chuck's China Inn? Will you be stopping by Mon Kou in Attleboro first? If so, I could meet everyone up there and follow the bus to Chuck's? I have a hair appointment (ahh, the vanity) at 11:30AM that usually lasts about 1 1/2 hours. I'd like to see everyone!!!

Cheers!
~Ramona

S

Yay Ramona!

Someone give her the 411 so we can be sure to have this crazy wonderful gal join us!

Also, is anyone interested in sharing a room at the Days Inn? PM Me! :D

Suzanne

CAMPARI and SODA... did someone say Campari and Soda! :D My fave! I was in the North End last night drinking Campari and Soda, drowning my sorrows Italian style, after the Red Sox loss to the Angels. It was a "Nearly' perfect day at Fenway, an extraordinary night in the North End.. and now.. looking forward to a pu-pulicious, mai-tai fine weekend on the nett,jr. Whose bringing the Campari, man can only drink so much orgeat.

K

See, the way I see it, ordering a rum and coke is WAAYYYY more sacrilegious, but what the heck do I know?

Blech, rum and coke. Drunk and too wired to pass out. (See also: red bull and vodka.)

K

By the way, I can't remember if we mentioned this or not, but we'll be at the Days Inn early Friday evening (I'm guessing 6:30-7ish). I don't guess this lot will be too hard to find!

The FAQ for the tour is pretty clear about not allowing people to follow along in their own vehicles for liability reasons so I don't think that is an option?

I might be wrong in stating this, but certainly the 'joints' aren't closed to the public. Yes following along the tour behind the bus isn't cool for a lot of reasons, but..
all is in the hands of the Gods of the Tour, Pap and Bar

We'll be the ones (well, one of the ones, anyway) with a tiki on our door (tonight, I mean)!

Well, I guess we typically have a tiki on our door at home, too. But we will tonight as well.

Better start packing the car so we can hit the road!

[ Edited by: velveteenlounge 2008-04-25 07:47 ]

T

Looking forward to seeing everyone tomorrow! I'll be the one in the Hawaiian shirt with the big cooler full of Passover stuff!

Beth

On 2008-04-25 07:35, jpmartdog wrote:
I might be wrong in stating this, but certainly the 'joints' aren't closed to the public. Yes following along the tour behind the bus isn't cool for a lot of reasons, but..
all is in the hands of the Gods of the Tour, Pap and Bar

True, I am just saying don't be shocked if itinerary details are not forthcoming.

As far as joining us for one stop, I dont have as big a problem with that on this tour as I do on the full fledged NETT (This being more of a no frills trip), and its certainly better than the "follow the bus" idea, but it still raises issues.

We've got two open seats....why not re-schedule the hair appointment, and join us for the entire day?

On 2008-04-24 16:09, lildeuce32 wrote:
Ok. I live in New Bedford, but won't be able to join everyone on the bus. Approximately what time will the entourage be at Chuck's China Inn? Will you be stopping by Mon Kou in Attleboro first? If so, I could meet everyone up there and follow the bus to Chuck's? I have a hair appointment (ahh, the vanity) at 11:30AM that usually lasts about 1 1/2 hours. I'd like to see everyone!!!

Cheers!
~Ramona

Hi Ramona,

From one New Bedfordite to another... Hope you can make it to Chucks..

Cheers!

Rick

I won't be rescheduling my appointment, but thanks for honoring at least one bar visit.

Hello, fellow New Bedfordite! Hello, Suzanne! Hope I do get to see you tomorrow.

~Ramona

Alive.........

barely.

Sorry I didnt hang out too much for the afterparty room crawls. About 4 too many of those '34 zombies.

Hope everyone had a good time. It was nice to see everyone (even though you were all blurry by the end of the night).

And appologies to Pappy for keeping him up all night with my snoring.

Pics & such later.

ditto....burp.....ugh

Milling around before the bus arrives.

Everyone is special on the short bus.

Feeling the love at the Mon Kou.

Is this a Witco?

Rick (just his back, really), Nicole, Scott, Gina and Damian

Photo ops in front of the Ho Kong (where Capt. Quad and Bargoyle scored some sweet Scorpian Bowels)

Maybe not tiki but the most amazing decor I've ever seen at a Chinese Restaurant--Chuck's China Inn

More at Chuck's

The girls at Sundown--Tiki Ports Hyannis

Rick guards the Tiki we left at Tiki Ports. We doubled the TiPSY score that day!

Paul and Kelly are so cute, it makes you happy just to see them--or maybe it's because we found Hula Cat. Cookies, anyone?

Speaking of happy people--
http://www.youtube.com/v/tGHxfY0yTkA

Such a good time! Love all you guys! Lots!
Here's a few of my pics that didn't suck!
All the chicks were fab on the tour

Yet more photos...

The only group shot, pre-tour. We "forgot" to take an after picture:

Our bus. Oh, the irony.

Our brave leaders, bargoyle and pappythesailor, serving bus drinks. For the record, bus drinks consisted of all you can drink Blood of the Kapu Tiki and the 1934 Zombie. Both VERY well made. These guys do not F around with their tiki drinks.

...which can result in people like HulaCat showing you their pelvis. Don't ask.

It still amazes me that I was able to catch Bargoyle in this "rare" pose:

What the hell is Bogie drinking?

A great time was had by all - thanks Pappy and Bargoyle!

On 2008-04-28 17:39, pappythesailor wrote:

Photo ops in front of the Ho Kong (where Capt. Quad and Bargoyle scored some sweet Scorpian Bowels)

I sometimes get Scorpion Bowels. Usually when I eat undercooked meat or if the potato salad has been left out too long.

..sb

S

Great photos so far, folks!

Thanks, Pappy and Bargoyle, once again, for a really fun weekend. I'd do it again in a heartbeat!

Here are a few of my photos:

Shiny Happy Tikiphiles at the Mon Kou (which is awesome, btw):

Suzanne and velveteenlounge:

I know most of you have seen this before since the Mon Kou was on the NETT last summer, but it was new to me (and fab):

Decor in the conference room which the staff at the Mon Kou was ever so kind to open up just so we could see it:

Hula Cat being Hula Cat:

Suzanne doing her best to point out the obvious:

jpmartdog raises his glass to the founding members of Flotsam:

Careful negotiation of the Blood of the Kapu Tiki containing vessel:

Titanic, Tiki Style, at sundown at Tiki Port:

Our driver, who was awesome and put up with us singing "We're Goin' to a Hukilau..." and many, many outbursts of "Bwana!" (anyone get any video of either of those?)

Rock on.

All the rest of my photos (quite a few) can be seen at:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/thedivapinup/sets/72157604782061759/

Suzanne

T

Once again, I'll say this, as I've said before...You guys are lucky to have all these great, old, still in tact, TIKI Restaurants....We've got pretty much nothing left like that here in SoCal.

Looks like a good time was had by all.

[ Edited by: tikiyaki 2008-05-01 08:16 ]

Looks like a great time! Boy, I wish I could've made this one. It's almost September, right?

I had such a great time.. I can't wait for September...

Lorna, if you're out there reading this....

You need to come up with a TC name and join us!!!!

Mahalo

Rick

CaptainQuad and I had the best time! HUGE thank yous to Bargoyle, Pappy, Tikisgrl for her generous donations of prizes, and jpmartdog, Leisure Master and Birdgirl, Martiki-bird and Looie Kalua and Scottes for the hospitality, and Rev_Thumper and Kristiki for helping us pack up Sunday. We love you guys! And it was so great meeting Suzanne, Bogielocks, Lorna and Ramona!

I'll post pix soonish...

[ Edited by: velveteenlounge 2008-04-29 11:42 ]

I forgot Hula Cat! Thanks, Hula Cat--we love our new clothes!

The pictures are great! Thank you for my "parting gifts" after Chuck's. I was buzzing all the way home. lol

~Ramona

T

It was great to see everyone again. I'm sure my camera contains some candid shots of all the usual suspects I'll get them posted eventually! Thanks for putting up with my carrot munching and Passover, not over blues. When is the next event? I'm really hungry for Chinese food for some reason?

Beth

On 2008-04-29 17:22, Tikisgrl wrote:
When is the next event? I'm really hungry for Chinese food for some reason?

Funny, that was the first thing I wanted for dinner when we got home...mmm, leftover crab rangoons.

What an incredible weekend! It was great to see everyone again, and I suspect that I’ll be seeing many of you at Hukilau. Great photos everyone! I’m still getting around to downloading most of ours…

Thanks to everyone who hosted a room on Friday, and especially jpmartdog for letting us use his room as the central hangout point.

Here's Jon at the 'bar"

That chick is way too uptight...Giver her a drink already.

Many, many thanks to Bargoyle and Pappy for organizing yet another excellent tour of New England’s tiki places. See you in September for the next one (and hopefully sooner).
~Gina

Just got home from Chuck's China Inn and I'm happy to say that they proudly display the Tiki mask that was presented to them from the NETT Jr. tour.

Mike and Tony hoped we'd be back next year.

B

Sweet! I'm glad they dug the mask & are displaying it proudly. We're out to tikify New England...one tiki at a time!!

We should get back there as a group sometime soon. I liked that place alot. Drinks were pretty good, food was good, and that dragon was fantastic....to to mention that cute-as-a-button future ex-Mrs. Bargoyle hostess. heh heh. just kidding.

Pages: 1 2 90 replies