Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Haunted Mansion Shadowbox, Disneyland,CA

Pages: 1 10 replies

Just got back from Disneyland/Downtown Disney and wound up buying the last Haunted Mansion shadowbox in stock. My girlfriend and I went to World of Disney in Downtown Disney after learning that the Dave Avanzino Haunted Mansion Shadowbox was released earlier this week and sold out almost immediately. The lady working at WOD called up Disneyana inside Disneyland to see if they had any, and was informed that they too were sold out, and to call over to DCA and see if Off The Page had any left. Luckily for us they did have 2 more in stock...1 was being held for the Artist, David Avanzino himself(odd?), and the other was held for us while we obtained a shopping pass to get into the park to purchase it. Its a really nice piece with alot of attention to details, and in my opinion, one of Mr. Avanzinos best shadowboxes so far. Take a look and judge for yourself...All in all a good day, and for those who wish to get this piece...Don't fret as there should be another shipment coming in sometime this month....

Various elements from throughout the attraction are combined to create the words, “Haunted Mansion”. Each letter has been painted by hand and mysteriously floats over a background featuring the classic corridor of Doors wallpaper design. The entire artwork is entombed in a shadowbox that is based on the casket seen in the Conservatory.
It measures 16” long by 11” high by 3 5/8” deep.
The Letter Key is as follows:

H – Decorative Wrought Iron from the outside

A – Tombstone Honoring Imagineer Marc Davis

U – Portrait Chamber Gargoyle holding candles

N – Bone Drumstick from Graveyard Scene

T – Bat Stantion from Portrait Corridor

E – Claw Foot Casket Pedestal from Conservatory

D – Bride’s Axe from Attic Scene

M – Classic Haunted Mansion Lettering

A – Dueling Pistols from the Grand Hall

N – Weathervane "North" Letter

S – One of the 999 Happy Haunts

I – Grandfather Clock from the Corridor of Doors

O – Madame Leota

N – Hitchhikers’ Thumbs

crap, I'm jealous...

Ooooooh...hauntingly beautiful. Congrats!!!

Congrats Tom,
one of my Fav rides in D-land.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Do any of you know the SMELL they use while you're waiting to enter?

On 2008-01-15 21:09, RevBambooBen wrote:
Do any of you know the SMELL they use while you're waiting to enter?

hahaha, It does have a distinct smell, but even more so on the Pirates of The Caribbean ride...That smell of semi clorinated/semi putrid water takes me back...It strikes up nostalgic memories everytime! Not sure what they use though.I've read they use a smeltizer on mouseplanet for the bakery.
"In order for everyone to experience the wonderful chocolate chip cookie smell at all times, they need to do it artificially. By the way, the machine that generates the smell is called—you guessed it—a smellitizer."-quote taken from mouse planet. Apparently they do not bake cookies all day long, and utilize smellovision to entice buyers.

By the way, I threw together a quick website basically to keep track of the Disney Collectibles my girl and I own. If I only would have done this with the other sh*t I own, I'd be OK!
If you'd like a peek...
http://xxtomslickxx.googlepages.com
Its still being added to, and I have a few more items to add...

Great collection, TS! Your new HM Windowbox is loads of fun, and the Kidney/Shag/vintage goodies you've acquired are really fun.

Thanks for sharing!

BTW, "What's that 'smell' in The Mansion's foyer...?" A whiff of muste, a tomb-gate's rust, the scent of cool marble dust...?

I'd like to know too -- but I'm not dying to find out. Heh-heh...

"Don't let it be forgot,
That once there was a Spot,
Where Blowfish all wore sunglasses,
and Tiki-times were hot..."

[ Edited by: Son-of-Kelbo 2008-01-26 20:24 ]

TS

On 2008-01-16 10:52, Son-of-Kelbo wrote:
Great collection, TS! Your new HM Windowbox is loads of fun, and the Kidney/Shag/vintage goodies you've acquired are really fun.

Thanks for sharing!

Thanks for the compliments from all. Its hardly a collection worth being jealous of to those who said so...haha, I've seen some outrageous Disneyana collections,but mine keeps me searching for the more obscure Disney merchandise.

By the way, I UPDATED the site and added quite a bit more items and pictures. At this time I think I only have a couple(literally this time) of items left to add. I realized This update, that I had alot more than I originally remembered having. Most of my stuff is not displayed, but put away, and my use of images from the net reference my merchandise. Ok, im off to bed and once again thanks for the compliments everyone!

Hey there Tom Slick!
Thank you so much for your nice plug of my Haunted Mansion Shadowbox. I really appreciate it. I have some Tiki Room pieces coming out later this year and will be sure to post them in the forum when they are available.

In the meantime, I just posted a thread about some new Tiki check designs that I have available through "Checks in the Mail." Here's what they look like.

If you're interested in ordering them or the address labels you can go to this link:

http://secure.checksinthemail.com/product.aspx?&lineid=21&productid=2540

I hope you enjoy your shadowbox and thanks again.
Sincerely,
Dave Avanzino

Hey Dave, Thank you!....for making this shadowbox so detailed. I'll be sure to keep an eye out for your tiki room merch coming this summer(Please make sure to give out the 411 when you have the dates of the product release, as I'm sure many Tiki Centralites would be interested!)...I also know Kevin has another tiki mug coming out for this summer as well, and it is awesome looking! I'm glad there are still a few artists and imagineers looking out for the picky Disney collectors like myself(self proclaimed of course!haha). I myself, am all about the limited editions(depending on my finacial situation at the time..haha) and obscure Disney merch!
ETR, HM, and POTC items are my favs and areas of collecting, and I hope you will have some merchandise representing the HM Anniversary coming up in 2009! I know a couple artists that are participating and have some cool stuff in the works!
Godspeed, and Thank You again for the creative quality products!

Oh by the way, Welcome to Tiki Central! :D

Hey Tom.
I'd be happy to add you to my email release list if you're interested (and anyone else as well). You can get my email from my website at http://www.daveavanzinodesigns.com/

Send me your email address and I'll let you know about all upcoming releases.

I'm hoping to have a handmade LE for Tiki Room as well as another box like the Mansion one. I believe that I will also be creating something for the Mansion anniversary in 2009 but have not concepted that out yet.

Thanks again.
Sincerely,
Dave Avanzino

[ Edited by: davanzino 2008-01-27 08:05 ]

Pages: 1 10 replies