Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

any Tiki FOOD recipes in here ?

Pages: 1 7 replies

OK...so this thread category is the Tiki Drinks and FOOD...but there are, like NO food recipes in here.

Anyone remember when TIKI NEWS had the "Cooking with Kimo" page ? They had a great Yam, Sweet potato one in there that involved Pineapples...

Anyway, does anyone have any good Tiki FOOD recipes they'd like to share.

From the KAPU KAI thread, I'm going to post the Kapu-Kai salad dressing recipe, posted by Kapu-Kai Son.

I'm also gonnna dig up those old Tiki News mags and ppost the recipes in here too eventually.

So, come one...post some TIKI FOOD RECIPES fer chrissakes....

From Kapu-Kai Son

"Hi all. We messed around with the salad dressing and think we've hit the right combo of ingredients. My dad was the only one to make this dressing and he never wrote it down. Once, a long time ago, my wife made it with him and jotted some notes down that are now long lost. As far as we can tell, this was the house dressing in the dining room at the Kapu Kai so give it a try.

1 Clove garlic
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup white vinegar
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp white pepper
1 tsp garlic salt
1 pinch Ajinomoto (Mono Sodium Glutamate)
1/2 cup vegetable oil

In the old days, my dad would throw the garlic in the blender and it would get chopped up when everything combined. Today, I put the garlic through a garlic press first. Combine all the ingredients except the oil in a blender. Pulse to puree the garlic. Finally, drizzle in the oil to make the dressing.

Couple of notes: When I say a pinch of MSG I really mean it. We're talking less than 1/8 of a teaspoon here. Nothing can replace or replicate the sweet/sour/salty taste of MSG so if a little doesn't bother you, try it this way first. If you are sensitive to this, replace the pinch of MSG with 1/4 to 1/2 tsp of kosher salt.

There you have it! This recipe has never been written down before and many people used to tell my dad he should bottle it and sell it. He always refused because of the MSG. If someone starts making a million bucks on Kapu Kai salad dressing, I want my cut! "

Also...

In case you guys wanna learn some great Hawaiian food cooking tips from a 4 generation Local...check out my friend Pomai's awesome Hawaii Food Blog.

http://tastyisland.wordpress.com/

This blog is GREAT for learning about real Hawaiian Food, and he offers up some great recipes and instructions.

Check it out.

A very good subject. Somewhere on this forum is a thread I started about "unfortunate tiki party food" and at least a couple of replies turned some quite deplorable kitsch recipes on their little heads. You might see if you can find 'em, because 'tis late and La Verandah can't track 'em down herself.

Personally, La Verandah likes to use the rule of thumb that if one is serving sweet, rum-based drinks that the food that goes along with such should be of the savory variety. For a cocktail party, for instance, stuffed mushrooms, bacon-wrapped anything, pickled anything, shellfish, Greek olives and roasted garlic on toasted bread or crackers.

One warning I find to be true -- mucho spicy-hot food may have an unfortunate interaction with sweet, alcoholic drinks.

I started a thread about the Noh of Hawaii sauce packs. Would you want recipes using those?

My fav Tahitian treat

This is one of my fav treats,Tahitian oven baked papaya.
This is for 6 serv.

3 medium papayas
3 Tahitian vanilla beans
6 tblsp brown sugar, try to use the best sugar you can find
6 tblsp good dark rum
Some unsalted butter
1 can of rich thick coconut milk

Cut the papayas in 2 and take out the content so you get 2 "bowls", discard the seeds (or use them in a salad dressing.) Place the papayas in a oven proof dish.

In each papaya shell put:
A stick of butter, 1/2 vanilla bean, scrape out the seeds and add them first and then the bean itself on top
1 tblsp sugar sprinkled over
1 tblsp of the rum

Bake in the oven for 15 mins at 180C (I don`t have the F grades for the oven here..)
Before serving, pour coconut milk over the papaya halves.

This is a real treat but very simple and you can serve it with ice cream too if you wish, its also deliscious.

MobileTikiBar's Coconut Rum Shrimp.

P

There are lots of food recipes in this forum.
I've posted at least half a dozen and used many more from here.

All good so far.

My fav: http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=314&forum=10

[ Edited by: pablus 2008-01-13 15:29 ]

Sabu's Secret Chicken

Pages: 1 7 replies