Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Trade Wind's was an option for home buyers

Pages: 1 4 replies

O

A short time after the Trade Wind's opened in Oxnard in 1964, developers built a planned community in Ventura offering several housing styles. One of the design choices was the Trade Wind's. From the brochure rendering, some of the houses appear to have some Tiki influence.
I'll have to go see what is still there soon.
The home buyers were given personal consultations and many chose the Trade Wind's style. Here are some of Ione's renderings and a couple of the model home from the newspapers.

My mother loved the leopard print, here is our dining room.

This is from the LA Times in 1947. Around this time my mother enjoyed going to the Bamboo Room while it was open. This was a Tiki bar at the Lady Windmere, now the Georgian Hotel in Santa Monica. Humu Humu has written what I know about the Bamboo Room. If anyone knows more, please share it. I can see a change in her style over the years being shaped by the other LA Tiki palaces that she loved like Don's. the Luah, Trader Vic's and other great places that I'd love to see photos of.

[ Edited by: Ojaitimo 2008-01-16 12:02 ]

Nice post Ojai. My maiden name was Kennann (maybe we are distant relatives....LOL).

Needless to say, your Mother had excellent taste (since she liked leopard), love those director chairs...very reve gouche!!!

Thanks cousin!

RR

That is on my way home from work. I'll look today.

Pages: 1 4 replies