Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

vote for the tikiyaki orchestra for hawaii music awards

Pages: 1 13 replies

T

Hey TC Ohana !

The Tikiyaki Orchestra "StereoExotique" has been nominated for the 2007 HAWAII MUSIC AWARDS "Best Exotica CD".

It's a people's choice award, so if you love the CD, or are just a friend of the me or anyone in the band, help us out and vote here...

http://www.hawaiimusicawards.com/voting/

Look for the "EXOTICA" category.

Thanx so much for the support over the past year, and cast your vote now.

[ Edited by: tikiyaki 2008-01-14 15:40 ]

[ Edited by: tikiyaki 2008-01-14 15:50 ]

Congratulations Jim and band members. As I recall last year there was one album under the exotica category. This year-two. I'm liking the trend. Tikiyaki Orchestra gets regular rotation in the cd player at home and is proven to make the cocktails taste even better.

Ouuuh, and WAITIKI are the other choice...two of my favorites, that makes it hard...Didn't they win last year?
Well I gave you my vote, because as a first effort at Exotica, (and considering all the work you must have put into) it is the album (TOGETHER with Waitiki) that gave me the most hope that Exotica can live again.

T

On 2008-01-14 20:38, bigbrotiki wrote:
Ouuuh, and WAITIKI are the other choice...two of my favorites, that makes it hard...Didn't they win last year?
Well I gave you my vote, because as a first effort at Exotica, (and considering all the work you must have put into) it is the album (TOGETHER with Waitiki) that gave me the most hope that Exotica can live again.

Thanx Big Bro....Last year it was just Waitiki, Like AlohaCurrent says...if the trend is that there is more than last year, that's a good thing. It IS really cool, tho', to be only one of a handful of people making a style of music. It sure beats having a rock CD out in the marketplace :o

Think about it, you can count the number of people making Exotica music on 1 hand. That kinda makes it fun.

Vote cast!!! You are a frequent flyer in my car, and considering I typically commute 5 to 6 hours a day, that is a lot of Tikiyaki. :lol:

Best of luck to you. :tiki: :music: :tiki:

T

On 2008-01-15 04:49, VampiressRN wrote:
Vote cast!!! You are a frequent flyer in my car, and considering I typically commute 5 to 6 hours a day, that is a lot of Tikiyaki. :lol:

Best of luck to you. :tiki: :music: :tiki:

5 to 6 hours a day ? Wow, I hope you love your job :o

Jeez, I'll have to make more records for that commute. :)

Who choose's what goes into the Exotica category?

How does one get entered.

Thanks,
Jeff

You basically submit your record. If it fits the criteria...it gets approved.

On 2008-01-14 16:19, alohacurrent wrote:
Congratulations Jim and band members. As I recall last year there was one album under the exotica category. This year-two. I'm liking the trend. Tikiyaki Orchestra gets regular rotation in the cd player at home and is proven to make the cocktails taste even better.

I love the packaging of the Tikiyaki album ... an included drink umbrella and coaster can do no wrong!

Alohacurrent, you're right; last year there was but one album in the Exotica category — WAITIKI's release of "Charred Mammal Flesh," for which the category was created. I am pleased that the Tikiyaki Orchestra has joined the ranks of albums nominated for "Exotica Album of the Year" in this year's Hawaii Music Awards. Any and all recognition of Exotica making its triumphant return is certainly an award in and of itself!

T

First and foremost, I agee that a win for either record is a victory for both. The fact that The Hawaii Music Awards is recognizing a category for Exotica is a big step for not only the music of Tiki Culture, but Tiki Culture itself....

The Polynesian Pop of the heyday (50's 60's) is regarded by many Hawaiian locals as "corny" and many are embarrassed by it. Unfortunately the great music that was a part of that movement is looked at the same way.

Lately tho', with Don Tiki re-lighting the tiki torch, so to speak, people in Hawaii seem to be embracing it more, and putting it in proper perspective...FUN !

So, it's great to have Exotica music recognized in the awards.

At the end of the day, I look at the awards as a way for both Waitiki and T.O. to reach an audience that would never have heard of us, sell some CD's, make some new fans, and get more people interested in this cool, almost lost musical artform called Exotica.

So, vote for the record you like, cos, honestly, we both win.

Best of Luck Professah !

[ Edited by: tikiyaki 2008-01-15 16:54 ]

B

Moved as requested..

[ Edited by: basilh 2008-01-15 19:39 ]

On 2008-01-15 17:24, basilh wrote:

But just as with popular standards, if we don't keep playing the melody of Hawaiian classics as they were written, nobody will ever know how these songs were supposed to sound.

Now, having got that off my chest, where did the wrong note come from in SOME arrangements of Adventures in Paradise?. In the key of C on the words "called evermore" on a G7th chord GGAG is what it should be, following the "one lovely shore" GGAbG .. on an Eb chord .
One Professional arrangement gives the same notes for both lines presumably because the A note in the bar AFTER the Ab, DOESN'T have a natural sign preceding it. (It doesn't need to)

If someone doesn't point out these type of errors, they may become the norm for the next generation and in a few years there could be quite perceivable changes made to tunes.

It's interesting to note that the same doesn't apply to lyrics to the same extent, maybe it's because the record company's office secretary can notice the wrong words when writing them out for the inevitable "Song Book".
It would also seem that nowadays, the artist and producers are NOT so diligent regarding the lyrics or melody as they were in the Golden era of Hawaii Calls etc.

Maybe I should cite a few examples, and hopefully in doing so I'll try not to be disrespectful to the particular artist.
What do you think, should I post a few examples of major blunders by major artists ? not meaning to demean, but just illustrate the point?

You make some good points, Basilh, particularly that last one about artists/producers not being as diligent as they once were in the Hawaii Calls era. In fairness to Tikiyaki, may I suggest that perhaps you make this into a new thread? I have some ideas on this, but don't want to divert people from Jim's announcement of his nomination.

-PHF

Nice very, very nice that so rocks Jim! Congratats to both Tikiyaki and Waitiki for the nominations. I agree... it is a big step for exotica to be included in the Hawaii Music Awards and with two contenders no less. Best of luck to all of the musicians in both bands. I too feel that their is nothin' but winners in the catagory.

Cheers and thanks to y'all for the soothin tunes!

Aloha,
Chongolio

That's what I like to hear....Tikiyaki making me some more commuter music!!! Bring it on. :D

Pages: 1 13 replies