Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Follynesia - Postponed Sept 14-20th 2009

Pages: 1 2 53 replies

S

That's right, the carving class is moving from the mountains of East Tennessee, to the beachs of South Carolina! We will chop and chisel on the oceanfront in Folly Beach, SC, a great little surf city. It's also a short drive from Charleston.

This is in planning, but we're looking at a long weekend thing. A large beach house for attendees to carve and crash. We're working with the Haole Kats to come play on the beach. All sorts of things in the works. A sort of tiki carving session mixed with a beach party tiki and surf style.

Oh, and Bosko is going to head it up!

Basement Kahuna will be there too.

Mark your calendars for September 14th to the 20th, 2009.

That's the weekend after Labor Day so the rates drop, but the ocean is still bath water warm! Bring your board for the best surfing on the East Coast!

I'll put a website up soon and start making some more solid details known. All are welcome, not just carvers. You can still sign up for news at the Coon Tiki Site.

Our own TC carver Brad Howland is the local in charge of this and is responsible for bringing Coon Tiki to the beach. We'll have a nice Meet and Greet at his Junglero Lounge one night and you'll all begin calculating in your head how you can manage to quit your job and take up residence in Folly... He's a surfer along with his graphic design and tiki bar building skills and can answer your questions about the local surf report.

Tiki Calendar for 2008

[ Edited by: swanky 2008-04-15 12:46 ]

[ Edited by: swanky 2008-05-12 09:11 ]

[ Edited by: swanky 2008-06-26 07:55 ]

[ Edited by: swanky 2008-07-29 17:55 ]

[ Edited by: swanky 2008-07-31 08:42 ]

H
harro posted on Fri, Jan 18, 2008 4:22 PM

drooooool

sounds like a killer weekend... great lineup there swanky and howland - surfing, carving, drinking, talking tiki, home bars, live music - HEAVEN!!!!

its times like this I hate being on the wrong side of the world...

this sounds pretty cool. I need to learn some carving skills. AND Sept 12 happens to be my birthday. It would be a great present for myself to be able to come. are girls allowed? I dont want to intrude on a boys club thing. lemme know Dawn

S

Certainly girls are allowed! Ms. Swanky will be there as well as Brad's wifey of course. I have urged Ms. Swanky to carve, but I think she prefers pencils and brushes. Last Coon Tiki had some gal carvers.

There are a few details we need to nail down in order to figure out prices. The beach house will be pretty affordable though.

Folly is a favorite vacation place of ours. We were there last September and it was warm and sunny and the water was perfect. The town reminds me of what the Beach Boys were singing about way back when. You see guys riding to the beach on their bikes with a board under their arm. There is one hotel only there. They stopped that sort of developement in the 50s.

We have some surprises up our sleeves that we are working on. If they come through, it'll be an even more incredible time.

H

OK, I've got some photos and specs of the Folly Beach chop house where the majority of the activities will take place, first and foremost the chop with Bosko.

Description from the rental website:

7 Bedrooms - 4 Baths
Sundeck, screened porch
Large living/dining rooms
Fireplace
Dishwasher, washer/dryer
Cable TV, VCR
Sleeps 12: 1 king, 2 queens, 1 double, 5 twins, 1 bunk bed

This house belongs to a good friend of mine and I've spent many days and nights there and can testify that it's capable of sleeping more than 12 people. This house is used for beach weddings alot and is set up to accommodate a decent amount of people. It has a very open floor plan--huge, tiled floor area downstairs with a long, rustic, wood dining table that can probably seat 20-30 people.

There's plenty of carving area in the back yard (beach side) and since It's elevated 8, 9 maybe 10 feet above the ground (and open to the backyard), there's plenty of chop space under the house if you've had to much sun or don't want any at all.

Swanky and I are tossing around ideas for carving tables, etc.

Pics:
front, from street

Back, from beach/boardwalk

view from back deck

Doesn't look very summery here now...because it's not :wink:
I've got some pics of the inside somewhere--post'em when I find'em

Dawn--to quote Rod Roddy of The Price Is Right..."Come on down!" I'll (or somebody) will make you a birthday cake!

COOL!! Im gonna start saving up! Dawn

J

I marked this on the calendar. Sounds like a lot of fun.

S

The core of the event will be 12-14th, but, you'll be able to come earlier and stay for a week if you want. That's time for relaxing and seeing Charleston and maybe get some fishin and crabbin in there or whatever.

We will sell space by the bedroom so if you plan to come as a couple and want that queen bed, you can reserve it for yourselves. If you are coming alone and who cares cuz you'll be on the beach or the deck or where ever and a twin is cool to crash on, you can do that and be there a little cheaper.

Think of it as a Tiki Ohana Reunion.

The carving will be less formal than Coon Tikis past. We encourage you to bring whatever you are working on and not a class project. If you want one, we'll get that for you too. This is the way you learn. You carve and the experts watch you and make suggestions and you ask "how do I do this?" and they show you right there.

I figure we can drag out that 20 gallon kettle and burner and do a big ol' Low Country Shrimp boil one night and make it easy to feed the whole crew.

S

Design by Howland

[ Edited by: Swanky 2008-06-26 08:18 ]

Count me in and save me a spot. Last year was a blast!

T

This is shaping up to be a great event.

Charleston is a great city but, alas, with not much Tiki.

Swanky was in town last month and the discussions of Follynesia with him and Brad was totally exciting.

BTW, Folly rhymes with holly and was named because of the dense foliage on the island. It is now know for its eclectic mix of residents and has a more laid back atmosphere that many of the "resort" islands here. It proudly bills itself as "The Edge of America."

It is a small community with a great main area for dining and shopping. This is just across the street from the hotel. No Gaps or big retailers, just quaint mom and pop shops. A friend of mine owns the 40+ year old surf shop. He is excited about the event coming too and will promote it thru his shop.

Charleston is about 8 miles from the beach. I live on James Island which is right next to Folly Island (we have tons of barrier islands on the SC coast).

I am looking forward to helping out with this event and welcome any questions regarding the area for those that might want an extra day or two.

Balmy regards,

Tiki Bob

B

This look to be a Fantastic time! I'm Sure Brad and Tim have gone ALl out to insure everyone will have a Tall does of Fun & Sun. I'll be thinking about you all so make sure and take Lots of pictures for those of us who won't be there.
:lol:

MR

Man oh man! That sounds like a great time. The crab boil alone has got me thinking about going.

It's gonna get crunk. I can't wait!

S

We are coming closer to being able to start taking reservations. This is a week long beach bash with the main events on the weekend of the 12th-14th. We will be taking reservations for a one week stay at the beach house. That's Monday September 8th to the 15th. We have 7 rooms: 2 Queens, 2 Kings, 1 Double and twin, one with two twins and one with bunk beds. These 7 rooms are at the event house on the ocean. It will be first come, first serve. If you are not on the mailing list, get on it to get the news first. Go here to get on it.

We are working on many cool things that will make this the place to be. Bosko will carve and tell us all the great stories of Tiki pre-BOT and pre-Tiki News, etc. Basement Kahuna will be there teaching as well. Meet n Greet at Howland's Junglero Lounge. Show and Tell with BK and others as we haul some of our collections over. I'll be DJing the tunes all weekend. Live bands. We are working on a deal to get the Haole Kats there. Maybe Pablus will show up (hint hint). More stuff. More stuff.

And the best part? A week on Folly Beach for dirt cheap with the ohana!

Mark your calendars and make plans and get ready to reserve your room when we make the anouncement! It'll be a great time whether you carve or not!

[ Edited by: Swanky 2008-06-29 09:10 ]

S

We can now confirm that Beachbum Berry is going to be making the scene at the oceanfront house for Follynesia! He and Bosko have been poking around California for vintage Tiki about as long as anybody and they share their tales of exploration with us. The Bum will be telling of his great cocktail adventures and we will of course mix up a batch of something wonderful to taste.

Yet more reasons to get on the mailing list and get ready to make your reservation for this week of old school fun and surf...

Visir http://www.Follynesia.com to sign up

And yes, we are working on more great things to come!

So, get this, for less than you could get a room for a couple of nights on Folly Beach, you will get:

• A week on the beach, oceanfront at Folly
  • A carving class with Bosko and Basement Kahuna
  • A Tropical cocktail talk and drink tasting with the man who literally wrote the book on Tropical cocktails, The Bum
  • A talk on the early exploration of California Tiki with Bosko and The Bum. These guys were looking for Tiki just about before anybody in our generation
  • Live jams playing surf and hapa haole
  • A California Tiki history lesson from Bosko and The Bum
  • A kick off party at the Junglero Lounge
  • Great surfing if you want
  • Charleston just minutes away to explore
  • Swap and share Tiki ephemera collections
  • My vintage islands slide show
  • Preview of the DVD of Tiki
  • Viewing of my tribute to Kahiki DVD
  • A nice Low Country boil of fresh seafood...

Doesn't get much better than that!

[ Edited by: swanky 2008-06-30 04:58 ]

B

Still looks like Lots of Fun.
AND, LOOKIT those Logs all Standing up and Ready to carve in the shade Under the house :lol: :lol: Fun Fun Fun?

"Swanky and I are tossing around ideas for carving tables, etc."

Back, from beach/boardwalk

S

We are working to get the registration open soon, so if you are not on the news list, you need to get on it now. Find it here.

Due to hax0rs, the site we registered isn't in our name. In the mean time, go to the link above.

Reserved packages will be available soon. What will you get?

• A week on the beach in Folly Beach, SC. Private bedroom in a great beach house with great people. Minutes from Charleston.
  • Weekend carving class headed by Bosko and assisted by Basement Kahuna
  • Tropical Cocktail Show and Taste with Jeff "Beachbum" Berry
  • Pablus of the Crazed Mugs performing live at the house
  • Live surf band on the beach
  • Meet and Greet at Howland's fantastic Jungalero Lounge
  • Tiki History talk with Bosko and The Bum
  • Low Country Boil of fresh seafood beachside
  • Viewing of "DVD of Tiki" preview, plus Swanky's vintage islands slide collection, plus Kahiki tribute DVD, and more
  • Vintage tiki bar ephemera show and swap

And we're working on more...

The house has 7 bedrooms and 4 baths. Rooms will be reserved on a first come basis. The King and Queen bedrooms will go fast! There will also be tickets for anyone not staying in the beach house.

This is a great opportunity to enjoy a relaxing and fun vacation with the ohana! Folly in September is fantastic. Warm ocean water. Great weather. No tourists. Great surfing, beachcombing, swimming, etc.

The house is available from September 8th to the 15th, and you can arrive any time in the week. The main events will be the weekend of the 12-14th.

P

I'm really looking forward to this.

Howland, get me 2 long boards and staple them together length wise so I can get on a wave. I put the Cow in Cowabunga.

Also, Jeff Berry will taste one of Basement Kahuna's Concubines whether he wants to or not and will add it to his next book. Guaranteed.

I'm going to do a 4 hour tribute to Barry Manilow on the Uke. Should be really invigorating. Like a Nora Ephron screenplay.

K
Kahu posted on Thu, Jun 26, 2008 1:56 PM

Any way to get an idea of the cost of this, I think this is going to be an amazing time, but I would like to get an idea if it is even in my ability to fit in my budget.

Mahalo

S

On 2008-06-26 13:56, Kahu wrote:
Any way to get an idea of the cost of this, I think this is going to be an amazing time, but I would like to get an idea if it is even in my ability to fit in my budget.

Mahalo

Tickets for those not staying in the beach house will be around $100 for the whole weekend of events.

The pricing ranges from about $700 for a King bedroom for the week and down to around $300 for one of the twin or bunk beds for the week. That's the package deal and is a week in the beach house and the carving class and everything included. We are still tweaking it and will hopefully have it ready by the end of the weekend for reservations. That should give you an idea.

Compared to the $150 a night rate at the Holiday Inn down the street, this is an incredible deal for an incredible week.

[ Edited by: Swanky 2008-06-26 19:38 ]

On 2008-06-26 12:41, pablus wrote:

Also, Jeff Berry will taste one of Basement Kahuna's Concubines whether he wants to or not

Watch your tongue Pablus!
I married one of them.

H

On 2008-06-26 12:41, pablus wrote:

I'm really looking forward to this.

Howland, get me 2 long boards and staple them together length wise so I can get on a wave. I put the Cow in Cowabunga.

Gotcha covered, P--maybe I'll be able to fashion you up your own outrigger and you can play sweet Hawaiian serenades from the surf to us! We'll christen her and she shall be called 'The Fab'lus Pablus'!

K
Kahu posted on Thu, Jun 26, 2008 10:22 PM

On 2008-06-26 19:35, Swanky wrote:

down to around $300 for one of the twin or bunk beds for the week. That's the package deal and is a week in the beach house and the carving class and everything included. We are still tweaking it and will hopefully have it ready by the end of the weekend for reservations. That should give you an idea.

That is great news, for what you have planned, that is a great weeks worth for the cost.

S

On 2008-06-26 22:22, Kahu wrote:

On 2008-06-26 19:35, Swanky wrote:

down to around $300 for one of the twin or bunk beds for the week. That's the package deal and is a week in the beach house and the carving class and everything included. We are still tweaking it and will hopefully have it ready by the end of the weekend for reservations. That should give you an idea.

That is great news, for what you have planned, that is a great weeks worth for the cost.

Yep. At around $300 per person to stay on the beach in Folly for a week is unheard of. Throw in The Bum, Bosko, BK, Pablus, live surf music, cocktails made to perfection... Well, it's off the charts!

K
Kahu posted on Fri, Jun 27, 2008 4:08 PM

So, I can reserve a a lower bunk right now? PLEASE!

:wink:

S

On 2008-06-27 16:08, Kahu wrote:
So, I can reserve a a lower bunk right now? PLEASE!

:wink:

Not yet, but soon. If you are on the mailing list, click it when you get the news...

Bunk bed is about $44 a night, and minus the event price, it's more like $24 a night...

[ Edited by: Swanky 2008-06-28 10:28 ]

S
Swanky posted on Wed, Jul 2, 2008 4:09 PM
MR

Man that looks like a great time! I hope everybody has a blast.

P
pablus posted on Wed, Jul 2, 2008 6:44 PM

We need more Californians. Always. More.

S
Swanky posted on Mon, Jul 7, 2008 3:44 PM

For the next two weeks, you can reserve your space at a discount of $50 per person! Check the new prices and reserve your room before the 21st and save!

Follynesia Site

K
Kahu posted on Mon, Jul 7, 2008 8:27 PM

Just sent you an email about the event.

S
Swanky posted on Tue, Jul 8, 2008 5:35 AM

Just to clarify. If you reserve a bed(room) in the beach house, there are no additional tickets required. It's all included. The ticket prices are just for those not staying at the beach house.

S

We are half way full! If you are planning to attend, drop me a line. Even if you are not quite ready to pay, we can set your room aside for you.

S

I know Brad would have posted this, but I think he's playing hooky and out there fighting the swarm of locals catching some of the best surf this year. Head high and glassy all day long... These are the conditions where people just quit their jobs and go and figure out what they'll do once it's over...

H

On 2008-07-14 13:22, Swanky wrote:

I know Brad would have posted this, but I think he's playing hooky and out there fighting the swarm of locals catching some of the best surf this year. Head high and glassy all day long... These are the conditions where people just quit their jobs and go and figure out what they'll do once it's over...

Yes, you beat me to it--and you hit the nail on the head. I've been in the water for HOURS today. Caught some morning surf, walked up to Snapper Jack's for a little lunch then back in the water. Not quite as big today as in the above photo I sent you yesterday but much cleaner. Wifey had to literally come down to the beach and flag me down to get me out of the water for dinner this evening. I'm whooped! Not to mention sunburnt, red-eyed, shriveled up, sand in places it shouldn't be, etc. Big fun courtesy of tropical storm Bertha! Funny thing: some of the more laid back businesses here go by the '6 foot rule'. If there's 6 foot surf then it's an automatic day off--because the employers know the surfers in the workplace are not going to show up anyway :wink:

As a side note and back to Follynesia: There's plenty of shade and carving space under the house, still only a stones throw from the beach. So if you don't want to get all lobstered up in the sun we'll have carving tables set up under the house (10 foot ceilings and sand 'floor') and just outside from under the house for those who might want to get their tan on while choppin'.

Get signed up--hurry, hurry, hurry!

http://www.myspace.com/bhowland

The Curse of Howland Island

[ Edited by: Howland 2008-07-14 19:15 ]

Nice surf Brad, did I mention I'm jealous?

Look at the lines to the horizon...

Wish it would have been a month ago!

I hope your sunburn hurts! :wink:

Would love to be with you guys on Folly, but I'm going to follow my art to San Diego in September, and hopefully score some sliders in San Diego and Orange County the week after!

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2008-07-14 23:18 ]

T

Sorry Swanky can't make this one.
Coon tiki was the best though.
I would tell anyone they should go to this event,
as these events have a great vibe.

S

This is the last week for reservations, and the reduced prices will be extended for the week.

Let us know now if you intend to attend.

S

Whether it is due to the economy, or this year being the Final Hukilau and drawing our potential guests there, or something else, we have not gotten enough confirmed attendees to make it possible to have the event. So we are canceling the event for 2008 and looking to next year. We are excited about the event and wish we could have shared this great time with everyone. We'll let you know when we have info for next year.

Thanks for your support!

I especially thank Bosko who has been very generous with his time and energies; Jeff Berry, who really wanted to be there but other events took him away; Pablus for saying "yes" because that's just the sort of aloha spirit he has; to Basement Kahuna who was ready to be there before we even discussed it; to Tiki Bob for volunteering without being asked, and most especially to Howland for really being the person behind all this and working VERY hard on it.

We'll start looking to next year and see what we can come up with!

P

AHHHHHHHHH!

I want to surf.
I've been riding my bike every day, trying to get in some form of "shape" so that I can surf. This is obviously my fault - I swear I'll be in surfing shape soon. (At least compared to manatees or hippos.)

HECK!

Looks like we'll have to schedule a little "thang" on the sly, Swanky. I'm sure me, you and Brad could have a pretty good time. And my brother lives in Asheville - I could have him kidnap Jeff. He's definitely experienced in absconding with purloined goods since he decided to play the drums. (No offense Squid but I mean - obviously you're a thief since you can bang out the beat on a bongo).

So - next hurricane? A nice foul weather luau? Short notice for Long boards?
COWabunga.

NOOOooooooo say it aint so! even though theres no way in hell I can aford to go anywhere i still had fantasies about trying to get there. Now I have even more time to save up for next yr. i wanna see Bradsfancy carving machine and software in person. oh and his mind blowing perfect Jungalero Room. Oh and surfing,

M

What a bummer! The dates were really bad for me this year, as I had another trip planned, but hopefully it'll work out for next year.

S

The dates will be similar next year, week after Labor Day weekend.

Pablus, we'll watch the weather and wait for the next storm off the coast and meet you over there. I have some unexpected free time now...

V

too bad.
I really wanted to come to this event. I would love to learn to carve from Bosko and BK, drink from Beachbum B...
I looked for plane tickets from France. It was very very expensive, to get there.

Ole Conga will plan for it next year as well. Things didn't look promising
this year cuz the dates fell between two vacations...August to Wisconsin
Dells and October to Tennessee. Coontiki-I remains one of my fondest memories
in the "Tiki World" and I will be back for another event.

Hoped I could talk Trevor into coming this year, but he would not do it alone. It's just too early in the school year for me to take the time off, plus I am already taking time off in OCT. Maybe I can plan ahead to attend next year so he will come. I'm always up for a tiki event when I can get the time off :)

P

that sucks as i was really thinking about going. i guess that doesn't help much. i guess if i'd ponied up it might have helped. i'm sorry. my financial situation is rocky at best right now, but i'm sure it will be stable next year.

you should have hanford change the ad banner.

sorry, once again.

Pages: 1 2 53 replies