Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Need some help with a Temporary Hut

Pages: 1 3 replies

B

Aloha all.

I'm working on the Northeast Tiki Tour in September, and it seems that the Friday night band(s) are definately going to be performing outside (hopefully by the pool).

The problem is, there is no stage or anything, so I'm going to have to create one.

I've got 2 EZ-Up canopy tents ( http://www.ezupdirect.com/index.html ) a 10x10, and a 10x15. Im thinking the large one becomes the cover for the "stage" and the other one for check-in, raffle item display, etc etc.

Now, the problem is, they are white (or dirty white), and made of metal & plastic. I want to "tropicalize" them to better fit with our theme.

I think i've got the legs figured out...I'll use the pvc & bondo trick to make bamboo looking legs that will slide over the metal ones.

My problems are with the "tent" part on top.

I could get some sort of thatch to attach to the outside, but I'll be unable to staple or nail anything to the canvas tent, so this poses a problem (plus that thatch can get expensive!). Anyone got any ideas here? Its gotta be removable...these are our tradeshow tents. Even duct tape might leave too much residue...

The next problem is the underside of the tent. The illusion is kind of shattered when you look up at the band, and you see the metal gridwork and white underside of the tent. Some sort of tapa cloth or something maybe? tied to the metal supports?

Any suggestions are appreciated. Think cheap, and think removable. lol

Thanks!

I've been thinking about this a lot this year.

I have a cheap gazebo type awning that I keep over my "Performance Pavilion" (stage)that I got at Big Lots on the cheap. It has crappy fake grass skirting in the tarp, so that's covered.

As for the piping, which although is painted a bamboo type shade, is really ugly and beat up.

I've come upon the idea of rope. (bought a whole bunch at the dollar store.
This Spring, I plan to simply wrap all the ugly poling with rope for a more organic feel. (when I do this, I'll be posting pics on the Tiki-On-A-Budget thread)

S

One long roll of thatch. Cut and strap it together and make a "blanket" you can lay over the tent. It won't need to be attached in any way. Gravity. One 50 foot roll should do it. Inside you can do one roll of lauhala and just slide it under the poles. Should stay in place. Depends on the budget, but price that stuff on Ebay etc. Should come in under $200 for sure. Can't say exactly. We gotta do something similar on the beach with high winds!

I like it Swanky!!

I think I still have a roll of thatch left over from the Lono rebuild, so that saves some $$ right there. How would you strap it together? Wire ties or something?

I think it'll need more than one roll through. at 3' tall, with a 1' overlap to tie, and 15' long (plus the sides)

Of course, all I really need to cover is the front & sides. Maybe I could just drape it over the top & hang weights down the back to hold it in place?

And I think I can use some of Granite's ideas as well. A nice thick rope (you can get tons of used marine rope cheap, and its all weathered & cool looking) to hide the "beams" under the tent.

Come spring, I'll have to do some experiments.

ANy other ideas?

Pages: 1 3 replies