Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Tiki upcoming on HGTV Saturday Jan 26 2008

Pages: 1 25 replies

Greetings fellow Tiki-ites. My wife and I are going featured on an upcoming episode of HGTV's "Design Remix" where we re-did our home office in a tiki theme. Might be amusing to some here.

This is when the action takes place
AIR TIMES:
•January 26, 2008 5:30 PM ET/PT
from the HGTV website:

"Tropical Tiki Office
As avid collectors, homeowners Mel Waldorf and Jessica Lindsey have a jackpot of fun finds to use, so creating a very personalized space is easy. While incorporating bright and fun elements, host Karen McAloon and the Design Remix team give the room purpose, clear up clutter and form functioning workspaces. The result is a home office that's practical, yet playful and as tempting as a tropical tiki island."

Disclaimer: The show's director strongly encouraged us to behave like imbeciles... we were acting... really.

Enjoy,
Meshugga Mel

Wow...how kewl...will try to keep that on my radar. CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Cool... I'll be watching!

It was already queued up on my TiVo -- I have "tiki" as a keyword search. But it'll be way cooler watching it now since I "know" the person featured!

Thanks for spreading the Tiki love.

Just marked the calendar! Love your music.... saw you live at Judd's Hill Winery in December. You Rock!!

Live Aloha!
Myke

i've got that date marked! thanks for telling us!

unique gift baskets

Awesome Meshuga baby!!
Looking forward to it...and to you guys playing FI real soon...

Here is the info on their website. I wish I had tivo!!!

Oy gevalt!

I'll have to cajole someone with a TiVo and HGTV to record that.

I've got a tiki-themed home office. Well, a few shelves of Munktiki (classics in the bar, new mugs upstairs), drink books scattered about, and a few shags and big velvet paintings of ships up. I'd like to see what an office in full swing would be like!

M

I will be parked in front of the TV, thanks
mymo

H

Just caught this show on HGTV- East coast time. A nice room it turned out to be, albeit a far cry from anything with an air of the taboo or the exotic or mystery that some of us tikifiles crave. More fun, funky, kitschy, bright. I'll have to admit, I twitched when the paint contractor said, 'We're going to paint the walls a chartreuse green".

Just caught onto the 'Meshugga' thing ( I saw the tee shirt on the show and heard it mentioned here so I googled)--that looks/sounds like a HOOT!

http://www.myspace.com/bhowland

The Curse of Howland Island

[ Edited by: howland 2008-01-26 15:26 ]

MT

We're watching it now. The designer just commented on the sofa "Well, this is very polynesian, isn't it? Oh hey, did you guys move to a house on the lagoon in Alameda?

E

Gluing turquoise buttons onto drawer pulls is "Tiki/Tropical"?

The stuff you guys had to begin with was great. Not sure the designers brought any tiki vision to the mix though...

It was great to watch!

Truly tiki??? nahhhhhh, but it was fun!! With some good ideas... and some not-so-good ideas (yeah, those buttons on white knobs - hmmmmmm). At least there were some great shots of the tiki mug from Forbidden Island flanked by the peanut-man mugs on the bookshelf! Forbidden Island and Tiki Diablo get national exposure.... yeehaw!! At least HGTV's segment at Ono Tiki's in SoCal last year was Tiki pure!

Aloha,
Myke

Well, the office is definitely more Tropical than Tiki (and actually more cluttered than both) but it is nice to be sitting at my computer as I type surrounded in lime green splendor, with velvet paintings, gravel art, bamboo and the TV/bar in sight - the tiki mugs are on the shelf behind me so I have to turn around to see them!

Mel

I typed in HGTV Design Remix on Google and I was able to pull up photos. That was really fun, I'm sorry to have missed the show and the part with the Forbidden Island mug. Wendy

Hey, that was fun! Nice work, Meshugga Mel. Especially having Jessica wearing the band t-shirt. Marketing is everything! Keep having a good time.

-Weird Unc

plug plug plug
:wink:

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Hey I figured better her wearing the shirt than me. She's more fun to look at.

no offense Mel,
But I agree wink wink
:wink:
you got yourself a real winner there buddy.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

[ Edited by: bigtikidude 2008-02-02 17:19 ]

C

OK I want to know where you guys got the airplane seating! Seriously, I have a home theater in my house and would LOVE some old airplane seats! I screamed with glee and called my husband into the room when I saw those on the show.

Jeff, I know I'm a lucky guy, Jessica reminds me all the time ;o)

Catmomma, we actually have two sets of airline seats (and movie theater seats and auditorium seats and car seats and a church pew...) Jessica got the Pan Am pair at the Rose Bowl swap meet about 15 years ago, and then we found an 80s vintage four seat bulkhead row (with the tray tables in the armrests!) at a yard sale here in Alameda last year for $30. Great for TV watching with all that legroom!

In 2002, SF Bay Area local interest show "Evening Magazine" did a spread on our home called "House Of Kitsch" This was our old place, not the one in the Design Remix show, but you get some idea of the collection:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nH7hhJbzZnw Note that Jessica is pregnant in this video, though our now five year old daughter never required much child-proofing and knows the difference between her toys and mommy's toys.

Also, in 2003, Evening Magazine did a story on Meshugga Beach Party featuring the original line up. Here it is as well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAlw_0HWlqo

Mel

A8

The Design Remix episode is on right now. It's called Tropical Tiki Office.

Pages: 1 25 replies