Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Why I had to leave Germany:

Pages: 1 42 replies

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfKQoDBdim0&feature=related

if I ever was unclear about that.... just viewing these beer hall Germans proudly schunkeling to Paul Kuhn's evergreen "There Is No Beer On Hawaii- (that's why I will stay here!)", with Paul wrinkling his nose at tropical cocktails, sets me straight. Certainly a cliche pop culture in its own right, it hits to close to home. I had to escape and discover my own. :D

As much as I like a good beer it's little match. My liver likes it fast and rough.

What a bunch of happy Germans....

Nice clip..

Wow. Paul Kuhn could have saved the Primo Brewery.

I love happy Germans!

I'll be in Potsdam in 3 weeks for a conference (no seriously, it's a real business conference) Then on to Stuttgart then Zurich and home.

whats with his eyebrows? they look like they are pasted on in the wrong place

Those are eye toupees... :D

Better than NO eyebrows because you're an ALBINO !!! ...drinking Whiskey, singing in fake South American Spanish!:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kM-v5ShRyUo

I think ROY BLACK has very pretty eye brows, though:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFupd2bYYpQ

Dig that dramatic dimming lights effect. But we are getting too far off the subject here, just having U-Tube fun...

...so let's go back to this German interpretation of a rich American tourist on a cruise ship. Nice shirt, nice set!:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHla1xRvx1I

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2008-01-23 20:57 ]

Ay ya ya...those were painful...good thing you did escape. :wink:

honestly, this past september i sat in the spaten tent and drank 4 liters of beer, then was in trader vic's munich hours later drinking fog cutters and mai tais.

no problem for me with that!

For some reason, I now feel justified in putting my beer stein collection in my Tiki bar! Just have to play the song if anyone asks!

On 2008-01-24 07:53, Johnny Dollar wrote:
honestly, this past september i sat in the spaten tent and drank 4 liters of beer, then was in trader vic's munich hours later drinking fog cutters and mai tais.
no problem for me with that!

Sure...but what about the problems the next morning? :D

What some of these clips all have in common with Tiki culture is the humor that lies within the naive, cliche depictions that one culture creates of another culture. It is my favorite kick to stumble upon such examples of culturally "bad taste", especially those that make you cringe in disbelief!

Americans were quite good at that, too. Here is one of my top ten non-Tiki examples, with unbelievably inane lyrics by the great kitsch master (and Witco collector) Roy Orbison:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GF-jSmhnc3g&feature=related

The same happy-go-lucky attitude towards Polynesia transferred to American Indian culture. :D

I will stop now, realizing this thread's content is leaning too heavily towards non-Tiki, but I wanted to point out the common philosophy behind my enjoyment of these gems.

On 2008-01-24 09:02, Pepe le Tiki wrote:
For some reason, I now feel justified in putting my beer stein collection in my Tiki bar! Just have to play the song if anyone asks!

I hope you have this one in yr collection Pepe:
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=15664&forum=5&hilite=corona%20stein

M

[ Edited by: mymotiki 2008-06-14 20:48 ]

M

These videos are fantastic! Vielen dank, Herr Kirsten!

Can you type out the lyrics auf Englisch for There Is No Beer On Hawaii?

Oh gee, that's a long story...let me know if anyone seriously is interested in covering the song, I might do it then, but til then:
The story begins with Paul singing about his bride Marianne demanding to have their honeymoon on Hawaii, but Paul doesn't wanna go, BECAUSE :
:music: ....Everybody!....... :music:

If only Germany hadn't lost its South Pacific colonies along with the First World War, maybe there would be better beer there!

M

V

I understand the guy, between the strange blue cocktail or the beer, I'll take the beer...

But there are some good beers in Hawai'i !!

Funny indeed.....I like this one....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzUGIzT0mdA&feature=related

On 2008-01-24 09:15, Slacks Ferret wrote:

On 2008-01-24 09:02, Pepe le Tiki wrote:

I hope you have this one in yr collection Pepe:
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=15664&forum=5&hilite=corona%20stein

haha... no I don't but I'd definitely drink my beer out of it if I did!

On 2008-01-24 13:58, virani wrote:
I understand the guy, between the strange blue cocktail or the beer, I'll take the beer...

Ditto on the good beers in Hawai'i My favorite is at the Worlds Westernmost Brewpub the Waimea Brewing Co. in Kauai. Their motto is "Last Beer Before Tomorrow". Great beers and a nifty little Brewpub that has excellent eatz. My order of choice is their seared Tuna which comes with 100% real Wasabi. Always ask for extra, well worth the trip.

On 2008-01-24 13:58, virani wrote:

Absolutely, those look yucky. Again, just proof what the Polynesian cocktail had become by the mid-80s (approximate date of the clip) in the public's image: Candy colored sugar water with umbrellas.

Now, yes, for sure. But perhaps not in the early 1960s. If you listen to the earlier version of the song in this clip (which is only a slide show for the band):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-f0_JUSeuH8&feature=related

...with Paul rockin' on the piano, it sounds much better. I don't think that PRIMO beer existed in 1963 yet, and it was probably difficult to get import beers in the islands. Anyway, not to be taken literally, the title must have come as a German counter-reaction to the Hawaii wave that also hit European shores by that time.

On 2008-01-24 12:28, Quiet Village Idiot wrote:
If only Germany hadn't lost its South Pacific colonies along with the First World War, maybe there would be better beer there!

You might be right. What is the best Chinese import beer to get nowadays? In my opinion it's Tsingtao. And here is why: Tsing Tau was usurped as a German colony at the turn of the century. The Germans razed the Chinese huts and shacks and built a model town with water works, canalization, a hospital, a Chinese/German University, and....a brewery!

It is still the only Chinese city with European style architecture today.

You can see Tsing Tau in a little extra section on the upper left of this map, which shows the German "Protectorates" in the South Seas from 1885-1919:

During this period Germany "owned" a considerable chunk of New Guinea, plus the Admiralty Islands, the Carolines with Palau, the Marshall Islands, and part of Samoa. This is how many early museums in Germany filled their coffers with South Sea art, which then in turn inspired the artistic avantgarde in Germany (see TIKI MODERN).

Here's another stein for your collection, Pepe

to keep those scurvy wenches away!

In sort of a parallel to this, when Germany held Tsingtao as a colony before World War One, they built breweries in that city. After the Germans left, the breweries were taken over by the Japanese and later the Chinese. The craft that the locals learned from the Germans and the breweries became Tsigntao beer.

So at least that explains Chinese beer!

On 2008-01-24 12:28, Quiet Village Idiot wrote:

Aaah sssoooh! You don't say....velly intellesting.... :D ....

Say, Tp, did you READ the other posts after the quote you replied to? Or did you plan to post this (very true and pertinent) information sooner, but didn't get to it, and then posted it without reading the other posts (hint: mine!) ? Or, maybe, though in my strange convoluted writing style I had thought I had already told this tale, but it did not come across, and you just decided to translate it into intelligible English. :D

I apologize for pointing this out like a stickler, I just don't understand the apathy of so many who read this and then just move on. I mean don't you want to find out? I like to banish confusion, and clarify things wherever I can...

:lol:

On 2008-01-23 20:32, bigbrotiki wrote:
Better than NO eyebrows because you're an ALBINO !!! ...drinking Whiskey, singing in fake South American Spanish!:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kM-v5ShRyUo

Aahh, Heino!!!
I'd forgotten to look him up, once YouTube made the possibility of seeing him anytime possible!!
You know, BigBro, there's another reason he wears the dark glasses besides white eyebrows: his wandering eye! I saw one video of him long ago in which he was not wearing his trademark specs, and he has a wandering eye (literally, not figuratively)! Not what the producers figured would go over big!

I am now going to waste the rest of my day watching every Heino video on YouTube.

Dammit.

Thanks BigBro. :roll:
F

P.S. You may now return to your previously scheduled tikicentric topic.

I am sooo sorry! :)

Isn't a wandering eye a possible result of frequent cocaine use? I remember in the 80s, I was working on a "four day wonder" (name for a certain genre of feature length film shot in 4 days) as 2nd AC/loader, and the focus puller was partial to that white stuff, and on day 2 lost control of his one eye, it kept wandering inward. Not good for focus pulling, in any film genre.

Check out that one U-tube B&W news reel clip from 1967 that shows how producer Ralph Bendix "made" Heino. Heino in the studio, a much more generic young man, is being told how to sing. I like the weird 70s end result better, though he has a certain neo-nazi appeal here, especially with that song...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5kYK6VUck0&feature=related

But back to .....the German South Seas, perhaps?

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2008-01-27 16:18 ]

On 2008-01-27 15:52, Formikahini wrote:
You know, BigBro, there's another reason he wears the dark glasses besides white eyebrows: his wandering eye! I saw one video of him long ago in which he was not wearing his trademark specs, and he has a wandering eye (literally, not figuratively)! Not what the producers figured would go over big!

On Heino's early LPs his glasses were quite light and you could easily see his wandering eye.

early Heino

late Heino

Yes, I have quite the Heino collection in my record library. :oops:

On 2008-01-26 17:12, Sweet Daddy Tiki wrote:
Here's another stein for your collection, Pepe

to keep those scurvy wenches away!

My collection is definitely lacking pizzaz!

PS...I was wondering if Heino would surface in this thread.

I thought you left Germany because of this

:) Luckily, they did not have those back then. To translate: "In der Dose" means "in the can". Still, I don't see that burger in the picture coming out of that can...???

And sorry, I love cheesy things in general, but I have been a staunch supporter of TIKI ONLY posts on TC, and here I am perpetuating un-Tikiness non-stop...so let's halt that now, please, or I get in trouble.

T

It is as if Germany, Hawaii, and Lawrence Welk all crashed in one big head on collision.

Gotta admit that I had some really good mai tais in Dusseldorf.

O

Did it have anything to do with this mug Bigbro?

What does it say besides humping frogs?

Sorry, no frog-humping here: a "Humpen" is the German folk term for beer stein.

M

:lol:

O

Sorry, my high school German is pretty bad. I could have sworn it said; "If a frog had wings, he wouldn't bump his ass a humpen"

O

Tommy Bach perhaps? BTW is he any relation to Tommy Bahamma?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQvBM7T0ems

Hey, although I did have to eat those couple of blows to the head that the American dished out, I ended up defending my kick boxing championship title...so that was not the reason to leave. :)

Hilarious. I would love to have had this for my Tiki Lounge radio shows on Radio Free Burning Man and Festival FM at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival. Also, I was born in Munich and lived in Germany as a child (Dad was in the USAF), so I can really appreciate the high cheese factor of German popular culture.

However, what I loved was checking out the Anji Lee video on the right hand side of the same You Tube page. Apparently German is one of the several languages she speaks fluently, and she seems to be an excellent musician -- I had never heard of her and I'm looking forward to buying her CD.

The only thing weirder are the Tiki Tiki Bamboooos -- a post-punk German band playing Tiki music -- the female singer is Japanese and sings in German!

[ Edited by: Dr. Zarkov 2008-03-11 09:48 ]

On 2008-01-25 22:29, bigbrotiki wrote:
What is the best Chinese import beer to get nowadays? In my opinion it's Tsingtao. And here is why: Tsing Tau was usurped as a German colony at the turn of the century. The Germans razed the Chinese huts and shacks and built a model town with water works, canalization, a hospital, a Chinese/German University, and....a brewery!

And pretty much the same thing goes for Windhoek beer from Namibia (formerly German Southwest Africa).

You can trust the Germans to go around building breweries wherever they go. Like the Dutch with their canals, the French with their bread and the Brits with their cricket!

Very interesting to consider the connection between the German colonial presence in the Pacific and the primitive influence on modern art.

On 2008-05-12 23:52, Quiet Village Idiot wrote:
Very interesting to consider the connection between the German colonial presence in the Pacific and the primitive influence on modern art.

Read all about it in TIKI MODERN ! :) Well, I thought I had pointed to the fact somewhere that without France, Belgium and Germany having their 19th Century African/South Seas colonies from which then countless "curiosities" were imported, the Moderns in Paris and Die Bruecke in Berlin would not have had any "primitive idols" to discover in the flea markets and museums of their respective metropolises, and without these artifacts' inspiration, 20th Century "modern art" would not have been the same.

....good god, now you made me watch that Heino video again! Let's not go there again, please...

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2008-05-13 01:16 ]

Pages: 1 42 replies