Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

What is the definitive glass for serving mai tais?

Pages: 1 16 replies

I'd like to serve my friends their mai tai drinks in the "proper" glasses. I've been scoping out vintage highball and drink glasses and would like suggestions on the best size and shape for a mai tai.

Double Old-Fashioned glass.

You can use any glass you like that is in the 12 to 16 ounce range, but the 'traditional' glass is a Double Old-Fashioned.

If you are looking at vintage glassware, look for a heavy base. It feels better in the hand and I think heavy bottom glasses look better when filled with a Mai-Tai.

And share pictures of what you find (full of Mai-Tai of course :wink: )

A

Actually, I've always thought it was odd that mai tais are more often than not served in glasses rather than tiki mugs. Just tradition I guess. Putting colorful drinks in glasses makes sense to me. They look pretty, so show them off. But proper mai tais are brown. Not really pretty. I usually serve them in mugs.

I agree with the double old fashioned glass.. and I also like my Mai Tais in my tiki glass with sad/happy face, its a heavy glass and quite large.

It looks like this:http://www.rubylane.com/shops/doscalfees/item/RL7195

On 2008-01-24 15:10, Little fragrant Tiare wrote:
I agree with the double old fashioned glass.. and I also like my Mai Tais in my tiki glass with sad/happy face, its a heavy glass and quite large.

I just bought two of those today! They were only $6 because someone had SPRAY PAINTED them DIRTY BROWN. :roll: :x :cry: But I'm going to carefully remove all the paint and get them back to their perfectly-clear glory.

G

Glass. Double Old-Fashioned. Buy some Vic's Mai-Tai glasses for the perfect glass. Or ask Tiki Kiliki if she has any left over from Hukilau '06. Honestly, I have plenty of tiki mugs as decor, but I never serve drinks in them. Glass only. In addition to smelling and tasting the drink, I want to SEE it.

G

On 2008-01-24 15:28, JanetMermaid wrote:
I just bought two of those today! They were only $6 because someone had SPRAY PAINTED them DIRTY BROWN. :roll: :x :cry: But I'm going to carefully remove all the paint and get them back to their perfectly-clear glory.

Ummm.... you're going to drink out of something that had paint on it?? Not to put down your purchase, but those are very common, by the way. Disney glasses. They still sell them, but frosted I think.

[ Edited by: GatorRob 2008-01-24 15:57 ]

Well..... the paint is only on the outside, and the glass is very smooth, so I'm not really worried about getting the paint off. Even if I end up using them as decorative planters for ivy, I don't want them to be baby-sh*t brown!

On 2008-01-24 14:32, arriano wrote:
Actually, I've always thought it was odd that mai tais are more often than not served in glasses rather than tiki mugs....

The problem with Tiki Mugs and Mai-tais is a question of volume... Your average Mai-tai (well, my Mai-tai's at least) only fill a bit more than half a mug. Which isn't a problem except that a double is too much for most of my mugs and mixing one and a half Mai-tais is hard to do after a couple of Mai-Tais.

I think you (everyone) should serve your drinks in appropriate glassware, it is part of the art of the cocktail. But, having said that, there is absolutely no reason you can't serve your cocktail in whatever you want to serve it in. It's your cocktail, drink it how you want.

I like drinks served in clear glasses to0, as the drink and swag is an enticing decor. I have lots of glasses to serve my drinks in, but this thread is so helpful as I realize I have incorrectly served Mai Tais in Hurricane glasses...GASP!!! I do have the happy/sad face glasses, so will always serve in these from this point forward. :)

I bought my happy/sad glasses at a Red Robin Restaurant before discovering this board. Check for a restaurant in your neighborhood, you can order the drink and if you pay the price, keep the glass. If you look on the drink menu you can see their Mai Tai in the proper glass (I had a different drink in mine...their Mai Tais I am sure will not meet the needs of a true conoseuir).

FATIMA BLUSH: Oh, how reckless of me. I made you all wet.
JAMES BOND: Yes, but my martini is still dry.

[ Edited by: VampiressRN 2008-01-24 18:20 ]

M
Moki posted on Thu, Jan 24, 2008 9:41 PM

We serve in these.

Our logo was designed by TC's own Swampfire (Doug Horne) and we love it.

We still have a few for sale if you need any. Just $5.00 each plus shipping. We also have pint glasses for the beer drinkers for $6.00 each plus shipping.

You can check out our stuff here on our marketplace thread. http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=18056&forum=12

Now back to your regularly scheduled topic :wink:

I think you (everyone) should serve your drinks in appropriate glassware, it is part of the art of the cocktail. But, having said that, there is absolutely no reason you can't serve your cocktail in whatever you want to serve it in. It's your cocktail, drink it how you want.

I do agree with this.
And i think Vics glass is really beautiful, but there are also others. The 2 faced glass i use sometimes when i want a large Mai Tai i like mostly because of its shape and heaviness. I just bought 2 black ones (not spray painted though) that i`ll use for other drinks. These glasses are everywhere on EBay. I like the black color on a mug or glass for a tiki drink because it imparts some "mystery" and is a nice background for colorful garnish..
That is for SOME drinks :wink: otherwise i prefer glasses so i can see the color of the drink.

Nice glass Moki!

And it looks like it has a nice heavy base which I love. They just seem to feel better, more substantial in the hand which makes me think the drink inside of it is more substantial.....

Don't listed to me, I drink.

[ Edited by: Chip and Andy 2008-01-25 04:42 ]

On 2008-01-24 15:28, JanetMermaid wrote:

On 2008-01-24 15:10, Little fragrant Tiare wrote:

That style of glass came in a brown. I got one at Urban Outfitters many years ago, and it's a kind of tan color. I've seen them in clear, brown and frosted varieties.

S

If you make it Trader Vic's style, you get color in the half lime shell. Plus Mint! I use a TV Mai Tai glass myself and an regular Dbl Ol Fashion glass otherwise anyway. I never use tiki mugs. Their tall narrow shape does not feel right in the hand and makes a crowded top for sniffing and drinking. And you could never get a half lime shell in there!

G

Just for you Chip... these are the heaviest base glasses I own. These dudes are heavyweights. Too small for most drinks, but I do pull them out whenever I can. I just love the rocket shape.

That style of glass came in a brown. I got one at Urban Outfitters many years ago, and it's a kind of tan color. I've seen them in clear, brown and frosted varieties.

I have seen clear, black, off-white, brown, green and frosted, and also 2 different heights. Those i buy are the lower height, the other is a bit taller and a bit less rounded.
My 2 clear glasses are from Mamas Fish House in Hawaii.
Its the shape of this glass and its heaviness that makes me like to have a Mai Tai in it sometimes.
I have seen also that Disney has some of those glasses as well.
Well, i really like mine.
But i´m going to see if i can buy 2 from Moki as they are really nice!

[ Edited by: Little fragrant Tiare 2008-01-25 12:30 ]

Pages: 1 16 replies