Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

eBay: How did these O.A. poles end up...

Pages: 1 2 71 replies

I still stand by my comments regarding this seller and his tactics. How did he go from a starting bid of $0.99 to $800.00? I now notice the posting includes tiki in the title.

This almost deserves a complaint to the folks at Ebay.

That being said, let me be the first to congratulate Frank on his initial bids of $800.00 for both of these items. Not sure what the letter writing campaign consisted of, but apparently it worked. Although I am somewhat jealous these are now seemingly out of my price range, I am happy to see these are going to end up in one of Tiki Central's members collections.

Frank, if you do end up winning the bids on these poles, could you please post some pictures for us once they are settled in their new home? Please?

Good luck to anyone else who may consider bidding on these now, you're gonna need it.

Psycho Tiki D (I know I am and I said please)!

T

Ha!
Please accept my full apology if you have never done that.
And I said Frank, Could have been any Frank.

Doesn't matter to me I'm not buying now anyway.
I think they will look good in your house.

All right! I am back in this.

Frank, remember that commercial from when we were kids "It's nice to share".

Matt

[ Edited by: rugbymatt 2008-02-05 11:34 ]

S

KC has a couple of nice vintage OA poles I think he got from Silverline a while ago. These two would make four corners filled if he wins them.

R

"Already has two.."
WTF?

T

And it would go with his 12 piece setting of every tiki bar ever.

T

Any guesses as to what these poles would have gone for if the guy had NOT found out they were actually tiki???

I think the NA art folks would not have recognized these as NA.

TB

Tiz tiz everybody..if this thread would not have brought forth the discovery of the amazing Tiki House in Sedalia, I would have to feel bad about ever having started it. From my analytical point of view, I see too much pole envy present here, an aberrant form of progressive Tiki fever.

T

Guilty as charged.
Those poles are great!

Me wants my precocious.

R

There was already an NA collector after these which is WHY we asked that their tiki roots be made known. I totally agree with BigBro about this leading to the Kamehameha making it all worthwhile. Frank, I gotta ask what do you do with all the items you have? Is there a soon to be tiki museum in the offing? Are you planning to open your own tiki themed bar? Come on brudah spill it.

S

On 2008-02-06 09:14, rugbymatt wrote:
There was already an NA collector after these which is WHY we asked that their tiki roots be made known. I totally agree with BigBro about this leading to the Kamehameha making it all worthwhile. Frank, I gotta ask what do you do with all the items you have? Is there a soon to be tiki museum in the offing? Are you planning to open your own tiki themed bar? Come on brudah spill it.

I don't know if Frank will answer, but I can say we've talked about putting together a book or website aimed at sharing the history in his collection. Lots of ideas, but, in the end, they cost more money by far than they will make, and its a lot of work. I dare say that if there was an opportunity for a Tiki ephemera museum, he'd be ready to help.

H
harro posted on Wed, Feb 6, 2008 10:47 AM

who's Frank?

On 2008-02-06 10:47, harro wrote:
who's Frank?

Ollie's neighbor.

$800? there's one for sale in Michigan at an antique/architectual salvage store. They want $1,800 for the "totem pole". I'd rather call up OA and buy my own. It's less expensive and supports OA.

-Z

I just revisited this thread expecting to hear the outcome. Now I see the seller has again ended early and relisted. WHY? What was wrong with the second listing? He covered all the bases on the history of these poles in the second listing. Whatdaya wanna bet this one ends early, too.

T

"ROSEBUD"

T

Looks like they will sell this time.

On Feb-06-08 at 16:08:34 PST, seller added the following information:

I WILL NOT END AUCTION EARLY with a Buy it Now scheme as suggested or end it early to sell off EBAY! THE HIGHEST BIDDER WINS and POLE will be shipped as soon as its paid for!

T

Seller: joec9121( 46)

T

I posted the sellers name so we can investigate this Buy it Now scheme.
sellers words not mine.

RT

Who's the lucky winner? Nice bidding!

T

It was not a tiki bidder that I have ever seen.

8T

$1425.00 EACH

T

yes and the winners were 3tailors whoever that is.
I have writen the seller to see who the scoundrel is.
don't know if I will hear back.I think Ebay needs to know of this.
Deepst apologies Mr. charmes I may have Been way off base!!!

Interesting. Hope the buyer isn't a NW Indian arts collector.

I was in for just over 1100 and got smoked by Rip tailor. bummer!

Pages: 1 2 71 replies