Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Tretchikoff

Pages: 1 2 69 replies

B

3 years ago we went to Key West. We stayed in a B&B by the Southernmost Point. There was a Tretchicoff painting over the toilet.

O
Otto posted on Sun, Jun 5, 2011 3:05 AM

incredible news story about the original Chinese Girl, aka Blue Lady

http://www.dangerousminds.net/comments/revealed_mystery_chinese_girl/

B

"The Daily Mail this week tracked her down at her home in South Africa" LOL
I'm afraid someone else tracked her down and the Daily Mail just 'used' it:
http://mg.co.za/article/2011-05-20-face-to-with-the-woman-who-is-tretchis-chinese-girl/

O

Amazing that in 2011 they refer to her as "oriental" in the above news story. Rugs and figurines are oriental, not persons.

A
aquarj posted on Wed, Jun 8, 2011 9:49 AM

On 2011-06-08 05:41, OnyaBirri wrote:
Amazing that in 2011 they refer to her as "oriental" in the above news story. Rugs and figurines are oriental, not persons.

If you're referring to the Mail & Guardian link, that's from South Africa. I'm not up on South African political correctness, but they may be closer to the European tradition where "Oriental" is supposedly more common (and accepted) than in the US. I've heard that in the UK, "Asian" actually refers to origins from India, Pakistan, etc. For that matter, I'm not sure if we Americans want "Asian" to refer to only a small part of Asia, or to be a big umbrella that really covers all of Asia, including Russia and the Middle East. One is wrong, the other is almost meaningless because of its breadth. Maybe the American PC people will come up with a better set of terms someday.

-Randy

O

Those are all good points. To clarify, my post had far less to do with being "PC" than it did with respecting the viewpoints of the many Asian Americans that I've known over the years. But I agree that Asia encompasses so vast an expanse as to be almost meaningless in describing ethnicities. Of course, as long as this goes on, we're replacing one adjective with another.

R

oriental item,asian person..politically correct???

K

What is politically correct in the US Mainland may not be elsewhere. My understanding is that in many British-linked areas "Asian" refers to what Americans would call "South Asian" ie Indian subcontinent..."Oriental" would equate with "Far Eastern" ie Japanese, Chinese, Korean...although some in Europe may use the even OLDER term for Orient & mean what we would call "the Middle East." In Hawaii, I've heard many Asians refer to someone as being "Oriental"..meaning East Asian.
I think the current political correct usage is just ridiculous. It is said that the word "Orient" is ethnocentric as it means "East"..east of what? Europe. (So what? It's a European word.) "Asia" is accepted..yet, Asia is NOT an Asian word..it ALSO is a European word meaning...gues what?..EAST. To tope it all off..if Oriental is unacceptable because it refers to something being Eastern...why is the accepted term for West Asia/North Africa "Middle Eeast"??? Which is considered correct by all US news media. It makes NO SENSE.
Asia & Orient mean exactly the same thing in two different root languages (Greek & Roman I believe).
Of course one shouldn't use INSULTING terms for people...but neither of these terms should be insulting.

T

Let's get back on track here!

There's been a lot of talk recently about Tretchikoff and I re-read this thread and saw there weren't really many pic's on here. Someone even posted something about Tretchikoff only doing about 2 paintings.
There's a hard to find book on his work in large format simply named "Tretchikoff". It's a beautiful book with all his paintings and lots of photos and info. A must for any fan!!

Not all of his work should be on a Tiki discussion board but a few of his images really caught something that we all as Tiki enthusiasts can really find appealing. His natural, beautiful and mysterious pieces really take us to a place not so close to home.

We've been collecting his art on and off now for about 12 years or so. Some of ours are packed away right now but here's a few we have around.

Lady of the Orient:

The most famous and probably the picture that always gets noticed for it's "Tiki" themed like qualities. This one, along with the next painting, I re-framed myself. The old frames that they originally came in were damaged and quite plain so I thought these would look good. I still have a couple more of the Oriental ones to do the same way.

Chinese Girl:

The Chinese Girl, above, was probably his next most popular work.

Miss Wong:

And the other, seldom seen Chinese Girl:

Balinese Girl:

Zulu Maiden:

Zulu Maiden II:

I always thought the above two pieces of the Zulu Maidens were really cool. The rough outline of the picture is just drawn in and then the detail and color get completed as you come in on the face. That way at first glance you only see the mysterious blue toned colored face. The way he painted skin and the colors are very well done and he captures such beauty.

Penny Whistlers:

Always thought this one was great as you can see how he has painted it where he has caught the subjects hands actually moving and playing the instruments.

Weeping Rose:

Dying Swan:

Couldn't resist this one in it's unique and original 1950's frame.

Well, that's it for now. Hope you've enjoyed a bit of color on this thread!
Mahalo, TabooDan

cool thread. here is my small collection. found these two smaller size chinese girls recently at a swap meet for $5 apiece. I really like the frames they came in, just need a bit of touch up here & there. the frames look original to me.
I also have the balinese girl in the large size in what looks to be the original frame as well. sorry, no photos of that one on this computer.

B

I launched the first ever blog on Tretchikoff's art.

Please, come on in: http://tretchikoff-central.blogspot.com/

Here's my Tretchikoff that I picked up a few months ago.

I recently saw a Tretchikoff in the wild locally, and while the Balinese Girl isn't really my Boom Boom Room's style I'm kicking myself for not grabbing it.
What's the normal price for a vintage one? so that I can kick myself harder!

Pauly, I think I bought my print for $20, or was it $15? I found mine in perfect condition at Goodwill, and used a 15% off coupon.

[ Edited by: Bongo Bungalow 2011-08-26 02:31 ]

K

I paid $45 for my Balinese Girl, which I bought about 11 years ago in an collector's shop. At the time, I didn't know anything about the artist..I just liked the print. I thought it was slighly over priced, to be honest, but I like it so m uch I eventually bought after going back to look at it several times over the course of six months...lol.

T

And now, the ORIGINAL can be yours!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-21195560

HT

Shit. I can't even afford a print.

B

Hi everybody!

My book Incredible Tretchikoff, the first complete biography of the artist, has finally been released.

My publisher, an new independent company called Art /Books, did a splendid job. It’s a very beautiful edition.

You can see the preview at Amazon.co.uk: http://amzn.to/ZOg5Id

Or, if you're in the States, try Amazon.com: http://amzn.to/ZxRlI1

Please, help to spread the word!

Many thanks.

Boris

Makes an appearance in David Bowie's video - The Stars (Are Out Tonight) - 3:20 mark - just a prop but kinda cool
(( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gH7dMBcg-gE ))

T

Just saw this one for sale in San Francisco.

Watching "Bitten" on Netflix
Saw this
:)

Pages: 1 2 69 replies