Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

Remodeling my basement

Pages: 1 2 82 replies

Tikifreak1 your lounge is really looking good!
As for the Leeteg, yeh, the printing under the signature gives it away. It is still an old print though and of one of Leeteg's most famous paintings called Hina Ripa (Probably knew that!).
Getting one of the few originals would be quite a deal!
These posters are probably the next best thing and are even themselves becoming hard to find.
TabooDan

Thanks for the comps and the info TabooDan! Here is some pics of how the the bamboo curtain turned out over the sliding glass door. My dogs triggered off the motion light out back otherwise it looks pretty cool I think. Also, put some flicker bulbs in the lamps and got an old puffer parrot fish.

Looking like some kind of hideaway. A nice vintage feel to it.

Those curtains turned out cool...Definitely going to have to buy the ones you showed me.

I agree...great job on the bead curtains...they look awesome. :)

S

Holey crap you just keep going like the energizer bunny.
Looking Good!

K
Kahu posted on Sat, Mar 29, 2008 3:11 PM

WOW!

Thanks Sam, K.K., Vamp, Seeks, and Kahu for checkin it out!!!! Today I started burlap phase 1!!! There will be some more trim work and rope around the top and bottom of the pole. I also got out some of the moldy smell of the original cushions so I put them back on!

BK

You're an inspiration!

Big Kahuna, thanks! Although I am inspired by everybody on here!!! My work is nothing compared to most of the work on here! The record frame is from TC artist Monkeyman!!!

Pappy- If you read this again, I got dimmers!!!

Burlap phase 1 almost done, just some cleaning up and some detail trim work!

I wrapped the post with rope (which is almost done, I ran out towards the top) and it appears it is also great fun for our cats!!

After all the trim and detailing I will put a fish net up in the ceiling area and decorate it with a bunch o' crap!

Haven't done to much to the basement (still need to do a lot more around the bar) but I did get a chair and some fish traps that I converted into light!! Nothing spectacular.

Finished the bar today. The main building part of it is anyways, I'm still eventually going to add a bunch to it! I also added more thatch and it made it more full looking which I was hoping for.

T
Tabu posted on Sat, Jul 5, 2008 8:37 AM

Very nice pad. Very finished and cozy look to it. Sweet.

Thanks Tabu, it's getting pretty cozy!!

Put up some shelves today for my mug collection which sucks, I know!

made some flicker bulb torches and lit up some puffers!!! Also started to do some faux lashing.

Made a new lamp this weekend. I saw some cool ones people were posting on here so I thought I would give it a shot. If any lamp experts see this I have a question.....I've seen some lamps that the bottom and top of the lamp are enclosed, how do you make it to access the light bulb? Also, what are peoples methods to do the bamboo circles at the bottom of the lamp? I went through about six sticks of it and the cuts weren't clean so it took forever to clean them up and then I just hot glued them.

Thanks,
Craig

[ Edited by: tikifreak1 2008-12-22 05:39 ]

If your cuts aren't clean enough get a blade with more teeth, specifically for "finish" work. I'm not sure what kind of saw you are using but that's my 2 bits.

Looking Keen btw!

ST

I was bored so I took down a perfectly good hand rail to put up these 4 inch poles and then it went on from there. Looks like I just moved up to the middle floor!?!? Next is ceilings and more trim work when I get more materials.

[ Edited by: tikifreak1 2009-08-30 13:29 ]

looks nice!

you're like the energizer bunny, dude...just keep goin' and goin'!

Your basement (and know the start of the upstairs) looks real nice and "cozy" as you put it. If the pictures make it look this good, I can only imagine what it's like to be there!

I love the addition of the bamboo railing and the bathroom looks real classy. very well done!

Very cool TikiMent!!! Have lots of fun down there, Aloha , Mooney

Great transformation, I love it!! It looks great!
I'd love to move down to Virginia or North Carolina someday.

TikiFreak - your place looks sweet man. I know what you mean about the rough bamboo cuts. I put masking tape around the pole before I cut it. This gives a clean cut but takes forever to peel the tape off. I know you can get special Japanese bamboo hand-saws, but that would also take forever. As you know, you need a ton of bamboo sections for these lamps. I'd like to hear what other people use to cut their bamboo cleanly/quickly.

Trad'r Bill

T
teaKEY posted on Fri, Oct 2, 2009 9:42 AM

love it all but the ceiling is the fav.

looks great, I like it all, especially the detail on the stairs!

On 2008-07-06 17:40, tikifreak1 wrote:
Thanks Tabu, it's getting pretty cozy!!

Put up some shelves today for my mug collection which sucks, I know!

No Mug collection sucks, you just put together what you like, its all cool!
Keep up the great work.....

Now Punk & Tiki mix well, like a Mai Tai with attitude.
But what do I know? I am just a punk with a Mai Tai.

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2009-10-03 22:23 ]

On 2009-09-14 01:13, Trad'r Bill wrote:
TikiFreak - your place looks sweet man. I know what you mean about the rough bamboo cuts. I put masking tape around the pole before I cut it. This gives a clean cut but takes forever to peel the tape off. I know you can get special Japanese bamboo hand-saws, but that would also take forever. As you know, you need a ton of bamboo sections for these lamps. I'd like to hear what other people use to cut their bamboo cleanly/quickly.

Trad'r Bill

I have been using a Hitachi Mitre saw 10" with a good quality fine tooth blade, I make slow cuts, seems to work great so far, just make sure you have a sharp blade.

You really are a Tiki Freak!! Looks like paradise, good work bra!

That is soo awsome. I been dreaming of doing something like that to my tiny apartment. But my budget and skill will only allow me to put a few hula skirts up the walls and windows.

What stopped me is that am afraid spiders will make web and homes in those grass/thatch on the roof. Is this bound to happen? and how can you prevent it?

Nice work. Looks really relaxing and chilled out. Congratulations.

T

Amazing work! Really nice craftsmanship.

A helluva nice job. I especially like the detailing around the stairway, but the whole thing has an excellent look.

Man o man what a great job you did! Really badass work! I think the doors you painted turned out great. I love all the details you worked into this. Every time I thought you were reaching the end you kicked it up another notch. I'm not only impressed but inspired as well. Classy tiki vibe.

Mr. Pupu has to go change his pants.

Bee-u-ti-ful!!!
Congrats to you on this great space.
Did you name it yet? Could not find
that info on here.

Pages: 1 2 82 replies