Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Psycho Tiki D in Chicago the week of 01/04-01/09/10 go to page 2

Pages: 1 29 replies

All ya all,

I am going to be in Chicago for some training the week of March 24th and will be stayiing over the weekend, returning home on Sunday the 30th. Anyone want to meet up for dinner and drinks?

Pretty much open to any night and since I went to the Tiki Terrace last time, I would like to go to some of Chicago's other tiki haunts.

Suggestions or TCer's to meet up with?

Psycho Tiki D (I know I am and you know it too)!

[ Edited by: Psycho Tiki D 2009-12-30 11:03 ]

[ Edited by: Psycho Tiki D 2009-12-30 12:30 ]

how about chef shangri-la?

chef shangri-la sounds great, anywhere else (since I will be in Chicago for six days)?

PTD

T

You must see Hala Kahiki, of course.

Dinner and mai tais at the chef, and then up the road to HK for dessert drinks (get their coffee, tea, or ice cream drinks, and you won't be disappointed; get their traditional tropical cocktails, and you WILL be disappointed).

Also, maybe Trader Vic's will be open by the time you get here.

On 2008-01-31 13:26, tikibars wrote:
You must see Hala Kahiki, of course.

Dinner and mai tais at the chef, and then up the road to HK for dessert drinks (get their coffee, tea, or ice cream drinks, and you won't be disappointed; get their traditional tropical cocktails, and you WILL be disappointed).

Also, maybe Trader Vic's will be open by the time you get here.

Where is Vic's supposed to be at?

It looks like our visit to the Hala Kahiki will be on Thursday night March 27th. Not sure which night we will be at Chef Shangri-la? Hope to see some locals either way!

PTD

..give a shout...we'll meet at the chef....

On 2008-03-20 09:17, Tipsy McStagger wrote:
..give a shout...we'll meet at the chef....

How is Wednesday night there?

Thanks,

Duane

wednesday night is nice and quiet....usually only one or 2 other people drinkin around the bar...we'll be there wednesday....don't know if we will make it in time for dinner but we can be there by 8 p.m. or so for a drink.....what time were you plannin on gettin there?

Sounds excellent, will probably be there around 7:00 for dinner and then the bar afterwards. Same with Thursday night at the Hala Kahiki. May try to venture out to the other Aku Aku on Saturday. How far from the Windy City is this place?

It will be great to meet you all!

PTD

T

Aku Tiki room was 3 hours from Chicago.
It closed a few months ago.

Hala Kahiki has no food, and there isn't anything decent to eat anywhere near it (no, that hot dog stand doesn't count).
I definitely recommend going there after the Chef - they're both a fairly long drive from the city, but they are not too far from each other.

Sorry I can't join you, I'll be in Ohio.

Not sure why I thought the Hala Kahiki had food? Thanks for the information though on both the Aku Tiki Room and Hala Kahiki.

Will plan some other activities then. Is the Tiki Terrace still open and did they move?

Maybe I'll catch you the nest trip tikibars, have fun in Ohio!

PTD

T

Tiki Terrace is in mid-move, so no, not currently open.
Have fun!

C

If you're up for a little drive (about an hour from downtown Chicago), there's always the Rendez'vous in Kenosha, Wisconsin as well.
Great bar, good drinks, and great owners. Worthy of a drive, if you have the time.

Like HK, no food, so come full, or, if you come early you can order a pizza from a local delivery place :wink:

They are open Tues-Sat 7pm-2am, in case you are interested.

Alas, I will be in Utah most of the time while you are here, so I won't be able to meet-up in Chicago or Kenosha - sorry about that....

Looking to be at the Chef around 6:30-7:00!

PTD

IZ

On 2008-01-31 16:24, Psycho Tiki D wrote:

Where is Vic's supposed to be at?

Here's the latest on TV Chicago (that I could find). The Chicago folks might be able to add to this:

http://chicagoist.com/2008/03/05/trader_vics_is.php

I, Z

argggh!!! sorry i couldn't make it out to the chef to drink with you guys.......we were out way late last night to see the final performance of angela eve's twisted tassel burlesque fest ....which made for a long night and an even longer work day....just couldn't rally this evening....perhaps hala kahiki thurs. nite ???

On 2008-03-26 19:45, Tipsy McStagger wrote:

argggh!!! sorry i couldn't make it out to the chef to drink with you guys.......we were out way late last night to see the final performance of angela eve's twisted tassel burlesque fest ....which made for a long night and an even longer work day....just couldn't rally this evening....perhaps hala kahiki thurs. nite ???

Can't make it Thursday, but heading there on Friday!

PTD

you may want to check out the astronauts lounge combo at the sandbar in brookfield friday night.....i would get to hala kahiki before it gets crowded...get there between 7 and 9 p.m....after a round or 2 of their watered down drinks , all you have to do is then drive south on 1st (river rd.) till you cross over the 290 express way, go a little further to ogden ave. and you are about 5 minutes from sandbar....you can do both in one evening...sandbar is really cool lounge with tropical drinks, some tiki and atomic retro decor and the band is really good...check it out if you can....google sandbar brookfield for detailed directions and info....

On 2008-03-27 08:05, Tipsy McStagger wrote:
.....i would get to hala kahiki before it gets crowded...get there between 7 and 9 p.m....after a round or 2 of their watered down drinks , ....

I don't know, man, the HK's Scorpions have been packing a wallop lately. Maybe it's just because they seem to like us over there.

TT

On 2008-03-27 09:00, Tonga Trader wrote:

On 2008-03-27 08:05, Tipsy McStagger wrote:
.....i would get to hala kahiki before it gets crowded...get there between 7 and 9 p.m....after a round or 2 of their watered down drinks , ....

I don't know, man, the HK's Scorpions have been packing a wallop lately. Maybe it's just because they seem to like us over there.

TT

..not likely...hala kahiki don't play favorites with booze or customers...i've know them for years and even I do not get special treatment or discounts....

....I am just spoiled now cause i frequent the chef more often these days....their drinks pack a wallop and it takes 3 or 4 hala kahiki drinks to equal the boozy wooziness of 1-2 drinks at the chef.

I love hala kahiki..always will, but the smart money (and liver) drinks at the chef!!!

As I wrote in the most recent issue of Tiki Magazine this is exactly why my attitude on HK has changed and for the better.

Go to the Chef for a good meal and two (or three...) strong mai tais, and then go to HK for DESSERT. Their coffee, tea, and ice cream drinks are good... their mai tais and zombies are not.

This epiphany has made me stop griping about the only thing about HK that I do not like (the quality of their classic Bergeron / Beachcomber drinks), and focus on what a real treasure HK is.

Ac-cent-u-ate the positive - for dessert drinks, they rock!

IZ

On 2008-03-27 12:41, tikibars wrote:
As I wrote in the most recent issue of Tiki Magazine this is exactly why my attitude on HK has changed and for the better.

Go to the Chef for a good meal and two (or three...) strong mai tais, and then go to HK for DESSERT. Their coffee, tea, and ice cream drinks are good... their mai tais and zombies are not.

This epiphany has made me stop griping about the only thing about HK that I do not like (the quality of their classic Bergeron / Beachcomber drinks), and focus on what a real treasure HK is.

Ac-cent-u-ate the positive - for dessert drinks, they rock!

tikibars,

This is great advice -- and what me and my gal will follow next time where down that way. I was at HK in early Feb -- though we first went to Tongs Tiki Hut not Chef -- and I was grumbling about the HK drinks. Instead, I should have cut back on the grub at dinner and saved room for dessert at HKs. It's a simple but great idea. Much better than hoping that the classic drinks are suddenly going to get better.

I, Z

[ Edited by: I, Zombie 2008-03-27 16:46 ]

Tiki Central - Exception

Oh no.

An error occurred. Site administrators have been notified of the error.