Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Sams Seafood

Pages: 1 2 3 108 replies

I have not heard a whole lot about people going to Sams anymore.
Are they sinking, or are they still afloat?
Last time I was there, I was not that impressed with their Mai Tais.
Mahalo,
Tiki Bill

I'm sorry, but yes, the mai tais suck.

A

On 2008-01-31 12:39, Unga Bunga wrote:

I always think it's odd when bars/restaurants have bad mai tais. First of all, the original Trader Vic recipe is far from being a secret. Vic Bergeron published the recipe ages ago. Second, it's not that difficult a drink to make. Third, it's not made with any ingredients that are hard to come by.

Couple ounces of dark rum, half ounce each of orgeat and curacao, juice from a lime. That's it! Sheesh!

H

On 2008-01-31 13:16, arriano wrote:

On 2008-01-31 12:39, Unga Bunga wrote:

Couple ounces of dark rum, half ounce each of orgeat and curacao, juice from a lime. That's it! Sheesh!

BLASPHEMY!

Yes, he forgot the mint. :D

Yeah, but do they serve beer?

PYD

The last time SoccerTiki and I were at Sam's the Mai Tai's were Tiki-rrific. Maybe drinking them out of The Tide Pool Bowl created by GoGo & Dani had something to do with it. The food was delicious as always. A Little Tiki Mug told us that Sam's has a new owner and is under new management too. As of the last time we were there their bar schedule was:

HAPPY HOUR: THURS – SAT: 4-7pm
With happy hour specials including, $3 Well drinks, $2 and $3 Drafts
and Half off of appetizers

Happy Hour on Saturdays?!?!?!? Sweeeeeeeeeeeet

Wow!! Who's ever heard of happy hour Thurs thru Sat.May be that's why they
have laid off half the staff and not open for lunch.I would love to be able
to buy out that place and run it like a real polynesian bar and restaurant-
to where people would flock for miles just to come in and enjoy a scorpian
or navy grog, and just hang out.They need some real bands and entertainment
to play back in the polynesian room.I can't tell you how many good times I
have had there and seen bands like the- Surfaris , the Torquays, Dick Dale, not to mention
the hula girls that used to come in and do a full on show.
What happened to the good ole'days.Wish full thinking I guess .....huh?
Mahalo,
Trader Bill

[ Edited by: 1961surf 2008-02-01 12:25 ]

[ Edited by: 1961surf 2008-02-01 12:27 ]

TM

Bad news; no Saturday Happy Hour

So basically there is a happy hour if any- on Thursday and Friday.
I don't even care about price or happy hour.I just want to go in...
have a few drinks... talk to some good looking dames and have a
good time.I want to support the place and help keep it a float.
Although I don't get in there as often as I would like to,because
of the amount of hours I work.I will say this, I always leave there
with a smile on my face and feeling good .I have been going to this
nostalgic place for twenty years or so.

Trader Bill,
signing off
Mahalo

I happened to go to lunch this weekend in Palm Springs with one of the investors that bought the place when we thought it was gonna be destroyed. Full coincidence though.... He's the boyfriend of my girlfriend's friend. Super funny, young, nice guy, with little to no concern for what it once was. He's a surfer and liked that it was a tiki bar but that was the extent of it..... They were all about making it a club.
I was very good at restraining myself (haha)....

So I think he said that they put three or four hundred grand into the place, and then as we know now, sold it. He said that they didn't have original plans to make it into the restaurant again or preserve the tiki vibe really. They just wanted to make it a modern dance club and 'have fun'. I guess the investors were split on that idea...

He sited many reasons why it was failing but never came to the conclusion that it could have been the drinks and music and service.... Even he admitted that the food was too expensive. I know anyone of us feels like they could do the place right and make money off of it. In reality though, the location is tough and it's a huge restaurant to fill and staff!! The rent was really expensive too, I guess.

It also took them 8 months of owning it before they could even start getting people into the restaurant. That's a lot of down time and wasted money...

So, I guess we'll see what the new owners are gonna do with it. I think he said they were gonna rename it the Kona Burger something..... I hope these guys don't blow it.

Also, he actually lived at Sam's for a while in the back office. How rad would that have been?? Well...rad and pretty damn scary at night, I would guess.

What's going on with the land? Is it still slated for condos eventually? It needs historic building classification like Harvey's Broiler....

T

GRRRR.....Good restraint on your part...he sounds like a real TOOL if you ask me. Frikken Dance club...what an idiot.

Now it's going to a "Kona Burger"...hmmm.....well, at least it's got KONA in the name, so there is a small shred of hope....but not much it seems.

I'm forever hopeful tho'.

Great!
Let's have another going away party.

Kona Burger?

So I think he said that they put three or four hundred grand into the place, and then as we know now, sold it. He said that they didn't have original plans to make it into the restaurant again or preserve the tiki vibe really. They just wanted to make it a modern dance club and 'have fun'. I guess the investors were split on that idea...

He sited many reasons why it was failing but never came to the conclusion that it could have been the drinks and music and service.... Even he admitted that the food was too expensive. I know anyone of us feels like they could do the place right and make money off of it. In reality though, the location is tough and it's a huge restaurant to fill and staff!! The rent was really expensive too, I guess.

It also took them 8 months of owning it before they could even start getting people into the restaurant. That's a lot of down time and wasted money...

That is too bad. I wish their investment would have enabled Tiki to flourish.

C
Cammo posted on Tue, Feb 19, 2008 9:24 AM

They should have put 100 grand of it into making a huge volcano outside that gushed lava and had a big Tiki face that would light up in purple and red eyes on the side. Or a giant hula girl neon sign whose skirt would tilt back and forth, back and forth...

Oops, sorry, they wanted to 'have fun' instead....

They might have stripped the paint off those defiled Tiki instead of leaving them looking like wrestling masks. Other than that, they really tried to restore it and it was looking good.

I will go to Sam's later this week and get the skinny on this place in depth if possible.
I am totally disgusted with the latest outcome.Like I said in the past, I have over
a twenty year history with Sams, just like I had a twenty year history with Beverly
Hills Trader Vics which is now closed.I guess the only thing I have to hold on to are
the fond memories I have had there.Where is that trust fund or lotto when yah need it
hah?? LOL

I think one of the things that plagues that place is the location....It's just kind of out in the middle of nowhere. Its a stretch of PCH that is fairly removed from other restaurants and bars. I'm sure in Newport, if the wait at the Chart House is too long, there are other restaurants that benefit from that overflow....

On the other hand, if Sam's was to become known for ONE really, really good drink, like the former Royal Hawaiian's Lapu, that could be a huge draw. I know of tons of young people that would drive from Costa Mesa and Newport to Laguna just for that drink. I hope the new owners are listening. Dump a bunch of money into marketing something like that in the OC Weekly and comparative mags... That could be the trick.

That's a funny thing about mentioning the sign too. I think the Sam's sailfish is so cool, but if there was a really good neon sign like you mentioned, that could create some interest. That was one of the things that the former owner mentioned too. The new sign (that a friend of ours painted) while being a great piece of art, just wasn't bright or flashy enough to grab people's attention. Probably their own fault in art direction.

Anyway, it's not gone yet....We'll see.......

By the way, he also mentioned that they couldn't use the back room for a club because the neighbors would complain any time they had live music or a dj. So, it was either spend the money to soundproof the back wall or just leave it alone. Hopefully, they can fix that.

If you could do surf or rockabilly shows there.... man..... I've heard storied about TSOL playing there in the past too. That would have been a trip.

The new sign (that a friend of ours painted) while being a great piece of art, just wasn't bright or flashy enough to grab people's attention. Probably their own fault in art direction.

Anyway, it's not gone yet....We'll see.......

Spike, you know Kyle too?

No, his partner. They own Tsunami's together. I don't want to mention his name here. Nice guy. Too bad their plan was just off enough to screw it up. I thought they were on the right track when they hired you to do a bunch of work.... Oh well.

On 2008-02-19 22:45, Luckydesigns wrote:
No, his partner. They own Tsunami's together. I don't want to mention his name here. Nice guy. Too bad their plan was just off enough to screw it up. I thought they were on the right track when they hired you to do a bunch of work.... Oh well.

Josh?

Spike my buddy kyle Warner painted the sign out front. Is this the one you are talking about? The sign iI mean, not the partners.

Yeah, the main sign. That was something that he mentioned.... The artwork was great, but the readability from the street wasn't as eyecatching as he would have liked, I guess.

Sam's Seafood Weds., 2/27/08 Happy 5:00pm-7:00pm
Drink Specials & $5 Appetizer Menu :)

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=27463&forum=1&2

[ Edited by: WooHooWahine 2008-02-23 17:43 ]

i know this is complex but if there was anyway they could have sub-divided sam's up into 3 different businesses it may have worked. the place is just to large to fill with todays interest in this scene.
i would have kept the main room which was amazing and leased out the others. easier said then done but that is a big nut to crack.

On 2008-02-23 17:42, WooHooWahine wrote:

WoooHoo! 2 More days :)

On 2008-02-25 17:13, WooHooWahine wrote:

On 2008-02-23 17:42, WooHooWahine wrote:

WoooHoo! 2 More days :)

WooHoo! It's Finally Wednesday :) Hope everyone can make it tonight.

Damn, I can't make it but will have a Mai Tai at Trader Vic's instead!

Viva Las Vegas!!!

C

flying home tonight, otherwise would love to join. Maybe on my March trip...

Have FUN!

WoooHoooo!! Fun Night: Early Bird Menu Specials from 4:00pm-6:00pm
Happy Hour Drink Specials & $5 Appetizer Menu from 5:00pm-7:00pm

Looks like a blast! Keep that place open,

T

I raised my mai tai glass in your honor!!! I wish I could have been with you. TV sucks in Vegas....

SD

Its a fun place food was good drinks were good I like it a lot

[ Edited by: Skinny Dog 2008-03-04 01:16 ]

THey have a New Updated website http://www.samshb.com

I was thinking about going this coming Sun. afternoon.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

On 2008-03-04 22:09, bigtikidude wrote:
I was thinking about going this coming Sun. afternoon.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Don't go too early! (They open at 4pm!) :wink:

Glad to hear everybody had a great time at Sam's .
Unfortunately I had to work til late that night.
I have never left there without a smile on my face and
a nice glow from all the rum I consumed.
Lets keep that place alive .They don't make em like that anymore!
Peace out,

TraderBill

This just in...
Hi Chris,

Thought you might like to know, there will be a meeting at Sam's Wednesday the 12th at 6pm from a consulting firm hired by the landlord to consider demolishing Sam's, rebuilding it with generic retail spaces with condo's above them and underground parking. This is not involving the city yet but we feel the landlord is obviously testing the waters. We found out by receiving a letter in today's mail addressed to "resident". Any support you could bring in opposition to this horrible possibility would be greatly appreciated. First MaiTai's on me!

Best regards,

Chuck Purrington
Managing Partner
Sam's Huntington Beach

T

On 2008-03-12 06:00, SoccerTiki wrote:
This just in...
Hi Chris,

Thought you might like to know, there will be a meeting at Sam's Wednesday the 12th at 6pm from a consulting firm hired by the landlord to consider demolishing Sam's, rebuilding it with generic retail spaces with condo's above them and underground parking. This is not involving the city yet but we feel the landlord is obviously testing the waters. We found out by receiving a letter in today's mail addressed to "resident". Any support you could bring in opposition to this horrible possibility would be greatly appreciated. First MaiTai's on me!

Best regards,

Chuck Purrington
Managing Partner
Sam's Huntington Beach

Gee....big frikken surprise.

Well, let's start planning that Aloha Farewell party now....I'm officially offering up the Tikiyaki Orchestra for the occasion.

What a bummer.

Damn,
this makes me want to move to Fucking Germany,
because this is just Fucking Sad.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

On 2008-03-12 07:46, tikiyaki wrote:

On 2008-03-12 06:00, SoccerTiki wrote:
This just in...
Hi Chris,

Best regards,

Chuck Purrington
Managing Partner
Sam's Huntington Beach

Gee....big frikken surprise.

Well, let's start planning that Aloha Farewell party now....I'm officially offering up the Tikiyaki Orchestra for the occasion.

What a bummer.

The Eliminators are in!!

[ Edited by: Eliminators 2008-03-12 12:23 ]

T

Hold everything. The condo/retail thing was tried by the previous owner as well. I am not an activist but I don't want this place to go, even in it's present condition. I need to check some facts but thought that the Coastal Commission had delayed any further construction on the site until 2010. There needs to be a real tiki-campaign to try and keep this place. Unlike Trader Vics where the owner can just do anything they want, Sam's is on land governed by the Cal Coastal Commission. Fortunately they don't approve everything and there may be a chance to derail any ticky-tacky going in. I will get some more info on this and post back later.

Somebody out there needs to get their arse over to Sam's this evening for that meeting. Better yet get a whole lot of ohana to show up and patronize it right in their faces! You have one hour to pull this off if my calculations are correct. GO SPEED RACER GO!

On 2008-03-12 16:53, rugbymatt wrote:
Somebody out there needs to get their arse over to Sam's this evening for that meeting. Better yet get a whole lot of ohana to show up and patronize it right in their faces! You have one hour to pull this off if my calculations are correct. GO SPEED RACER GO!

SoccerTiki and Wildsville Man are at Sam's right now. SoccerTiki will post any information that he finds out as soon as he gets home.

I say throw a raging surf concert. The sooner the better.

Pages: 1 2 3 108 replies