Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Sams Seafood

Pages: 1 2 3 108 replies

On 2008-06-18 22:19, 1961surf wrote:
I am glad to hear about the positive changes,however I disagree with the signage change.
I don't care what anyone says or thinks,I have a 24 year long history at Sam's and I
think for landmark and nostalgia reasons the neon swordfish should stay on the roof
where it has been for 51 years now.There now I put my two cents worth in, for what
little it may be worth!

[ Edited by: 1961surf 2008-06-18 22:30 ]

The swordfish is staying, it will just say "KONA" instead of Sam's now.

That defeats the purpose.Its nice to have something thats visually pays homage
to yester year.That sign if you look at all the old pictures, postcards, and
menus represents alot of good times for people way back in the day that are
still alive and see the sign and have enjoyed it for years.You could still
have all your Kona signs around the restaurant, and leave the one little
piece of landmark history for people to enjoy and take them back in time.
Its something to seriously think about.Sams started off as a fresh seafood
market in 1937 and it wasn't until 1957 it turned into a sit down restaurant.
If you took a poll from locals in seaside and sunset beach community as well
as people that used to go there in the 60's , 70's and 80's I would wedger they
would all agree.I have some other positive suggestions as well.I need to pay
a visit and sit down and talk to the new owners a bit.

[ Edited by: 1961surf 2008-06-19 13:47 ]

T

On 2008-06-19 13:45, 1961surf wrote:
That defeats the purpose.Its nice to have something thats visually pays homage
to yester year.That sign if you look at all the old pictures, postcards, and
menus represents alot of good times for people way back in the day that are
still alive and see the sign and have enjoyed it for years.You could still
Its something to seriously think about.Sams started off as a fresh seafood
market in 1937 and it wasn't until 1957 it turned into a sit down restaurant.
If you took a poll from locals in seaside and sunset beach community as well
as people that used to go there in the 60's , 70's and 80's I would wedger they
would all agree.I have some other positive suggestions as well.I need to pay
a visit and sit down and talk to the new owners a bit.

[ Edited by: 1961surf 2008-06-19 13:47 ]

I think keeping the Iconic SwordFish and changing the name on it is a good compromise. Having it say "Sams" will confuse people. What I think would be nice is if they took the Sams neon letters and mounted them on the "Sams Wall of Fame" which will indeed be in the restaurant. It would be a really nice tribute.
Keeping SAMS on the fish would be nice and nostalgic for you. but confusing to the public at large, and KONA needs to make a name for itself if it wants to be a successful business.
Like I said in another post....I'm just glad that the place is in business and keeping the original Tiki Spirit alive.

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth. We have NO original Tiki Places here in SoCal anymore. If it's merely a matter of a name change, but the original theme and spirit of Sam's is housed within it's walls, that's more than enough for me.

Besides...it's not like the place used to be called Trader Vics or the Mai Kai, or some other cool Poly Pop type name...SAMS isn't exactly the most "Tiki" name for a Tiki restaurant anyway.

On 2008-06-19 13:45, 1961surf wrote:.You could still

Actually it's a really big sign. I'm happy that Swordfish will be staying and can live with the fact that like the menu and some other things the inside will be different. I was born in Huntington Beach and lived in the Huntington Beach / Costa Mesa area for 27 years, the Sam's sign is a very strong memory for me but I agree with the owners decision to move on. Don't forget Sam's was almost totally gone a little while ago and with that in mind I can handle a font change.

I am so stoked that I can still visit the place where I married my fuckin awesome wife "The Whale Rider". Pretty much what lead me to Tiki Central-besides turning my sweet Lava Rock fireplace to "Spermy's Blowhole". It's like magic!!

Kona's is a Tiki-rrific Place!! Delicious Food, Refreshing Drinks, and an Awesome place to Escape "Reality". The New Owners and GM are doing a great job preserving one of the last Original Tiki Restaurants in Orange County. Everytime SoccerTiki and I go to Kona's we have a Blast. Try it...you might like it!!

I am in agreement with your reasoning and logic,especially if it helps keep the
establishment open.Not to dwell on the changing of the name.We all know that Sam's
Seafood is no kitchy tiki or poly name,but that was kinda one of the cool stories
behind the name is the fact that after operating successfully for years as fresh
seafood market,times changed.In order to stay in business,Sam's needed to switch gears.
So they decided to start cooking and serving the fresh seafood and turned it into a
a polynesian themed restaurant that was so popular at the time,yet never bothering
to change the name.To the best of my understanding the reasoning behind it was, they
wanted to retain alot of their customer base as well as develop new ones thru the
word of mouth about their aloha dining experience and the tropical drinks that got
them so tanked.I wish the new owners much success and hope they have a solid lease
with the guy that owns the building and the land,I would hate to see the rug get
pulled from underneath them.Well its that time of year again.I welcome all to join
me for a drink and celebrate my birthday next Thursday June 26th.I should be there
around 4:30 or so.Hope to see you all there.I would like to get tortured and hear
about some Mai Kai stories since I could not be present.Funny I was there for my
last years birthday- before they officially re-opened Sam's and had the mug release
party with Squid and Sam Gambino-Dejavu perhaps.

T

The swordfish sign said " am's" if you were heading north a couple weeks ago. Last night I drove by and noticed the neon was already stripped from the swordfish sign. Looks like the new name is going up there soon. I still have not been in to check out the Kona incarnation of the restaurant but look forward to doing so. The new signage looks real good and it seems like the mana ohana is returning.

Come join Bill LaPalia (aka) Trader Bill celebrate his birthday this Thursday
June 26th at 5:00 pm.Look forward to seeing and meeting the new owners and checking
out their new menu.Hopefully someone there knows how to make a real Mai Tai
or Zombie.Feel free to chime in and give head counts.The more the merrier.I look
forward to seeing as many of you as possible from TC and myspace-That includes you Bamboo,Holden,Crazy Al,Soccer, Wohoo,Go Tiki,Hinano Paul, big tikidude and the list
goes on and on.Be there or be square.

Mahalos,
Trader Bill

http://www.konahb.com/

[ Edited by: 1961surf 2008-06-25 00:40 ]

H

I've lived in HB my whole life (30+) and never went in there because it looked like a P.O.S. :D
I have seen the transformation take place with the Kona signs and the recent removal of the "Sam's" sign under the swordfish. For some reason we always end up at Taco Surf across the street.

I'll have to check it out soon.

If you get a Mai Tai there have them put a drop of agnostura bitter and put 4 wedges of lime on the rim, and squeeze them into the drink.

it doesnt make it a real Mai Tai, but it makes it much more bareable, actually good.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

The bartenders have been researching Mai Tai Recipes and have done an excellent job improving their quality of Mai Tais. Don't be afraid to tell the Bartenders what you want...if you don't they'll assume that you'll settle for anything.

On 2008-06-24 17:47, 1961surf wrote:
Come join Bill LaPalia (aka) Trader Bill celebrate his birthday this Thursday
June 26th at 5:00 pm.Look forward to seeing and meeting the new owners and checking
out their new menu.Hopefully someone there knows how to make a real Mai Tai
or Zombie.Feel free to chime in and give head counts.The more the merrier.I look
forward to seeing as many of you as possible from TC and myspace-That includes you Bamboo,Holden,Crazy Al,Soccer, Wohoo,Go Tiki,Hinano Paul, big tikidude and the list
goes on and on.Be there or be square.

Mahalos,
Trader Bill

http://www.konahb.com

[ Edited by: 1961surf 2008-06-25 00:40 ]

Anyone going??? SoccerTiki, Tigerlily, & I are on our way??

[ Edited by: WooHooWahine 2008-06-26 17:10 ]

Pages: 1 2 3 108 replies