Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

The Worlds Greatest Bamboo Treehouse

Pages: 1 9 replies

TS

This place is something else. I also didnt know that bamboo eats up alot of Carbon Dioxide...You learn something new everyday!
http://tropical-treehouse.com/page1.html Tropical Treehouse

The owner apparently owns a bamboo furniture company in Oregon or Washington..Wonder if hes a TCr...?

UB
I
irishf posted on Sun, Feb 3, 2008 7:44 AM

On the treehouse page, they recommended a book, "How to Build with Bamboo: 20 projects you can make at home" by Jo Scheer. Looks interesting.

I
irishf posted on Sun, Feb 3, 2008 7:50 AM

if you look through the excerpt on Amazon, the bamboo porch swing on the back cover is especially beautiful. We may have to make that for our tiki porch. Oh hubby! 8) (he can make anything)

I did this one last year. It sits on the edge of a 50' cliff in Laguna Beach.

( my pics blow!)

B

Aloha Tiki guys,
Well, that was a surprise. The traffic on my website goes through the roof, and I find its from a link at TikiCentral. Cool. Thanks for finding me. Somehow I managed to remain ignorant of this forum and community of Tiki fanatics. I have always felt myself to be out there in left field anyway- good to see I am not alone.
You can see pretty much what I'm all about from the website. We bailed from my tropical paradise in 2000- for the states and a decent education for the kids- but kept my labor of love. Now, the place is sustainably producing more bamboo than I can use (my intention all along). I am still very much into bamboo design, and have utilized Google Sketchup (3D design)for developing concepts into detailed models. I recommend it for anyone out there similarly inclined. Designers ( 8 year olds to architects)submit their design into the 3D warehouse for everyone to use: http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/
Anyway, I have a bunch of bamboo designs, including the porch swing someone mentioned, under a collection called, appropriately enough,"bamboo": http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/cldetails?mid=c53223d2923341f6d75cb382f1cd629&prevstart=0
I head back down to the islands in a week, anxious to build the new bamboo designs. I'll add some pics and stuff to this forum as it becomes a reality.
Hasta, .........Jo

O

Thanks Tom for posting this! Both of you guys have some great looking work, I have always admired well done bamboo.
What a great material and it was cool to see bamboo used in a tree house and with hurricanes there that is impressive. That quote from Swiss Family Robinson brought back great memories of the tree house from the book, much like the one you built in the rainforest.
I learned alot about bamboo and being so eco friendly as it is, we will hopefully be seeing a lot more of both your creations.
Could one of you please do the redux of the Las Vegas Trader Vic's for Doc Weiner?

[ Edited by: Ojaitimo 2008-02-04 16:46 ]

B

Another hooch treehouse has been planted- this time on my favorite island- St. John, U.S.V.I. A lack of structural bamboo on the island prompted a design utilizing all dimensional lumber. Pre-fabricated on St. Thomas, the "kit" was brought over on the ferry to St. John in two loads- using a borrowed Isuzu Trooper. Final assembly at the site was slick- it went together like a puzzle. Local bamboo was utilized for many details- plant hangers, lamps, a chandelier, a bamboo platform bed, counter supports, and a bamboo hooch hatch handle. This next generation hooch is unique- not only in its all dimensional lumber construction, but also in its water self-sufficiency. Rainfall collected on the roof is routed via tubing to two suspended 5 gallon reservoirs- one on the south side, and one on the North. Gravity flow from the reservoirs supplies the sink in the kitchenette (The South side reservoir is heated by the sun to provide solar hot water!) Used as a guest bedroom, electricity from the main house is provided for lighting, and other gadgets (coffee maker, blender, etc)
You can see some pics from the project on Flickr:
http://flickr.com/photos/24242067@N00/sets/72157605381053033/

T

Wow, this is awesome! Makes me want to add a second "bamboo story" onto my house. :D

T
Thomas posted on Thu, Jun 5, 2008 9:57 AM

That certainly is an awesome structure. Not to derail discussion of it, but just to add more to the mix, here is a famous bamboo treehouse in Pasonanca Park, Zamboanga City, Philippines.

Pages: 1 9 replies