Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Palm Springs Moderism Week Feb. 14-24

Pages: 1 2 3 133 replies

http://www.modernismweek.com/

[ Edited by: woohoowahine 2013-01-24 07:35 ]

Wow, it's a little jarring to get to the opening page of that link and have a decidedly unmodernist hippy band jump in your face...who ever thought THAT up? But don't let that deter you:

The Modernism show is truly great, always one of my favorite Palm Springs events of the year. I love going "window shopping" in the show (because most of that stuff I cannot afford anyway). And on Saturday afternoon I will be at the PS Modcom booth in the lobby to sell and sign copies of TIKI MODERN. On Sunday, from 12:00 noon- 3:00 p.m., I will do the same in the courtyard of the "Just Fabulous" book store right next to Coffi at 515 N. Palm Canyon drive.

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2008-02-11 12:40 ]

Here's another link with some more info about the upcoming weekend...

http://www.orbitin.com/events.html

B

This is wonderful! Right up my alley! My wife and I were planning on being in Palm Springs this weekend anyway...now it sounds like it will be loads of fun!

Big Bro...let me just confirm...your going to be in the Convention Center lobby on Saturday? I need to stop by and pick up my copy of Tiki Modern from you.

Yep, together with my friend Chris Nichols, author of "The Leisure Architecture of Wayne Mc Allister"...sometime in the early to mid-afternoon, for a couple of hours...AFTER I have taken in all the precious vintage modern furniture and decor in the place. Supposedly the Modcom booth will follow a Polynesian theme this year- how befitting! So hop on by! :)

And bring cash evvybody, two twennies will do, none of that 39,99 hairsplitting here...the x-tra penny is for my signature!

Palm Springs Modernism Show & Sale
February 15-17, 2008
Saturday 10-6 • Sunday 11-5

Weekend Admission $15

What: Opening Reception of The Abstraction Distraction A Group Exhibition Curated by Glenn Barr

When: Saturday, February 16th from 6pm to 9pm

Where: M Modern 2500 N Palm Canyon Drive

What: A Group Art Exhibition featuring work by Glenn Barr, SHAG, Chris Reccardi, Lynne Naylor, Tim Biskup, Gary Taxali, Amaba Visell, Iceberg Slick, Bosko Hrnjak, Chris Trueman, Jememiah Ketner, John Bell, Jophen Stein, Beth Wilusz, Suzanna Anna, Rick Morris, Mark Dancy, Don Shank, Robert Pakorny

Weekend Weather Report

Highs Fri 71 Sat 77 Sun 80

From what I hear it is snowing in down town Palm Springs right now!!!!!! First time it snowed since the 1960's!!!!!!!!But tomorrow it will be in the 70's and SUNNY!!!!!!!!!!

I am in Cold,Cold Irvine with only some board shorts and a tee!!! Bad planning I guess

See ya in the Springs!!!!!!!

THINK SUNNY AND IT'S SUNNY

Incredible but true:

On the road to Palm Springs!

But hey, I got a full tour of the Kaufmann House ...before it goes on the auction block!

Don Wexler will get his star tomorrow on the boulevard. I was lucky enough to meet him last week. A great friend of mine who is a photographer in town did a shoot with him for an upcoming magazine article and I got to be there.

IF I WANTED SNOW I WOULD MOVE BACK TO CHI-TOWN!!!!!!!!!

P.S. They are asking way to much for that house/Art

Let that Freaky Tiki Flag Fly,

wildsville man

Rory Snyder (A.K.A. Wildsville Man) Palm Springs Bartender Services

[ Edited by: Wildsville man 2008-02-14 20:37 ]

WoooHoooo we're off to Caliente Tropics! Looks like Sunny Skies and lots of Mai Tai ahead of us :)

B

Word...

As stated....Burrrr!

Woke up this morning to a cool breeze, a blue sky, and a lawn mower. With all these great Modern Hotels around, we get stuck on a golf course (wife's bosses time share thingy). But hey, ya can't bitch about a freebe.

Looking forward to a Modernist few days!!

As long as you're in Palm Springs.......

It's time to celebrate WHW's 39th! We'll be at the Caliente Tropics all weekend...

Stop by for a drink Saturday afternoon.

I'm on my way back to the Springs at 9:30 a.m.!!!!!!!!! I need to walk the CEO of Wildsville Inc first..
The boss speaks and I jump!!!That's how it works.DIG?

Heading into Palm Springs tonight to see my family. Hoping I can convince my brother to swing by the M Modern Gallery with me after dinner to check out the show. I'll be the one in the black fun fur coat and the killer bob (thanks to my brother who's a stylist in PS :wink: )

If you see me say "Hey!"

B

Thanks for the invite Soccer, and HUGE Happy B-Day WooHoo!!

Unfortunately, I have to leave on a work thingy tomorrow, so I had to get back to SD early this afternoon to prep for the trip...I must have been walking the floor of the Convention Center on opposite isles as some of you, as I missed meeting Soccer, WooHoo, Sven, Ms. Peel, and the Wild Dude. I did get to finally meet the Squid Master, Vi (?), and dibroc on the way back to our truck. It was very cool to meet you peoples...Wish I could have hung and partied with all you folks tonight. :( Anyway....

Sven, hopefully you will sign my new copy of Tiki Modern at some other time?

The show was killer! Tons of wonderful pieces everywhere! Let me bomb some of you that couldn't make the show with a few pictures of works that stood out for me personally....

Hands down, these where my favorite chairs in the place! These would look soooo hot in my living room....alas, not in the budget.

Nice...

This jumped out at me big time...love it!

How killer are these plates huh?

Yes, yeeeees!

This was not Kitch to me...more like Camp...the craftsmanship incredible.

This hutch seems more Art Deco than Modern to me, but I love it. Check out the way cool Streamline Locomotive next to it.

Deco Lighters...have always liked lighters.

Amy liked this chair quite a bit.

Simple...very tasteful vase.

This work was in my top three picks of works there...if not at the top.

Check out this smokin' counter top...It's fabric embedded in acrylic...How hot is this huh?

Invisible chair...I grew up with some of these around the table :)

Not sure if the fabric on this chair was original or not...I don't think so, but the tangerine hue really makes this piece sing.

Future highway making.

Concept drawing...

I should have taken this home...

Well, that's it for my picks on the show...but that wasn't my favorite this weekend. This "interactive" Fountain of Life in front of the Civic Center (East Palm Canyon Drive?), though not Modern, just took my breath away...I had to go back to it and play in it twice...Once during the day today, and once last night...the pictures just don't do this work justice. If your still there...go see it.

Go Play!

Schooled by the finest.....Capt. K and Master G

[ Edited by: Babalu 2008-02-16 20:56 ]

Babalu, I am bummed we missed each other, I was gonna ask for a hot dog carving demonstration!
Man, you sure have weird taste, you found all the non mid-century modern stuff at that show. :D
I was gonna take photos too, but there were so MANY cool ceramics, lamps, furniture, statues, and all, I didn't know where to start.

Here are some pics from the weekend that show that Palm Springs City is slowly coming around to valuing all the mid-century modernist enthusiasm it generates:

This Corbusier inspired 1959 City National Bank (now a B of A) got a plaque from the mayor:

So did Richard Neutra's iconic, 1946 Kaufmann House immortalized by Julius Schulman:

Owner Beth Harris holding a passionate speech for preservation, next to the mayor and the plaque.

Architect Donald Wexler getting his star on Palm Canyon:

...attended by a sizable crowd

A cool vintage Tiki Modern Tiki that sold at the Modernism Show:

Here I am signing together with my favorite modernism author Alan Hess at the Palm Springs ModCom booth

At the M Modern Gallery, Bosko and Crazy Al discuss Bosko's new abstract art pieces (which have to be seen up close to be fully appreciated)

At the PS ModCom fundraiser bash:

...which sold out and raised 30 grand to go for the preservation efforts of the Palm Springs Mod Com. Yessss!

B

On 2008-02-17 08:29, bigbrotiki wrote:
Man, you sure have weird taste, you found all the non mid-century modern stuff at that show. :D

:lol: I knew you were going to say that! I can't help it...Come on now, you gotta admit that lime green Jesus in that vibrant blue background is spot on.

One hot dog carving demo anytime Big Bro...

Dig, I am way into Bosco's new paintings! Looks like I missed the best part of the day, or night that is.

Great Weekend all,
Wait,It's not done? OH MY POOR LIVER!!!!!!!!!!

THE WEATHER WAS HERE AND I WISH YOU WERE BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!! DIG?
SOME PICTURES OF THIS WEEKEND SO FAR!!!!!!!!!!

MAY THE TIKI GOD'S KEEP YOU SAFE FROM THIS GROUP!!!!!!!!!

It's weird; I know this is a picture of Bigbrotiki throwing down a signature for Wildsville Man -

But when I see it showing up in multiple posts it starts to look a little different -

Am I the only one having this problem?

Oh man, I love the concept car picture. Do you know what the price was?
I'm visiting Palm Springs the second week of March (staying at Caliente Tropics!)
and can't wait to visit some of the MCM modern places pictured in this post.

Had a great time on Saturday at the show - prices were out of my budget, but it was fun to look - and I got to meet Wildsville - You are a trip in person, my friend! Thanks for posting the embarrassing photo of us! Also hung out with TC superstars BigBro & Woohoo!

After the Modern show, we went to the Palm Springs Art Museum, which has a terrific collection of California artists (Sam Hyde Harris, Millard Sheets, etc) and some amazing pieces by CM Russell and James Swinnerton. (Swinnerton was famous as the creator of the popular comic strip "Little Jimmy" in the early 20th century - he was also a lover of the American Southwest. This was the first time I'd seen his paintings - I'm a cartoonist myself so this was a real treat!) They also have a nice collection of Native American baskets & pottery - and a great exhibit of Palm Springs Modern architecture with vintage photos, architectural renderings & models of Neutra, Wexler & other mid-century modernists. Though not technically "Tiki" - I highly recommend the museum show. Only downside is the admission was a bit $teep.

"I said would you like red or white wine, not red and white wine."

...and thanks for that pic...just bought the Forgotten Modern book. :)

Looks like it was a really great weekend. Looks like your boss was wearing some fine threads Wildsville!!!

Hilarious and true. My sentiments exactly. Thanks Boris!! :)

On 2008-02-17 23:07, Bora Boris wrote:
It's weird; I know this is a picture of Bigbrotiki throwing down a signature for Wildsville Man -

But when I see it showing up in multiple posts it starts to look a little different -

Am I the only one having this problem?

That IS pretty damn funny, Boris! Well, I tried to do my best to protect Wildsville, but with these gun laws in this country...

Here is a picture of moi signing at the "Just Fabulous" book store with Bill Lewellen, chair of the owners association of the Royal Hawaiian Condominiums (behind the Tropics). He was telling me about them bringing back the outrigger beams (which ALL have been lopped off!), and that my photos in Tiki Modern are the only document they have of them. Preservation in action, folks!

Bill was wearing this cool shirt with all embroidered Tiki icons on it, some to be found on the matchbook page in the Book of Tiki:

After signing a bunch of books, we got to visit this lovely Alexander A-frame residence:

Now THAT is Palm Springs living! Sigh! :)

WooooHoooooo! What a Weekend. Mucho Mahalo to Wildsville Man, Tigerlily, Roxanna, Dibroc & Paula, Hinano_Paul & Mrs. Lurker, Tiki-Tina & Bamboo Boyd, Squid & Bai, Joyce & Saul, Crazy Al and Al-ii for making the trek out to The Caliente Tropics Hotel to help me celebrate my birthday. I hope everyone had as much fun as I did. SoccerTiki threw me a party that lasted the entire weekend. It was great to see all the other TCers who were out in Palm Springs for Modernism Week too. What a Tiki-rrific Weekend it was.

We'll post more pics later ~ Dig!!! :wink:

Here's some pics from The M Modern Show

Amazing pics from the M Modern show! Was the original Shag "Desert Polynesia"
for sale?!? What a beautiful painting!!

O

Great pictures Woo Hoo and Soccer Tiki! Looks like you had a great birthday weekend!
Wish I could have been there.

WooHoo! It's that time of year again....Modernism Week in Palm Springs:February 13 through 21 http://www.modernismweek.com

Friday, February 13th:

M Modern Gallery presents Abstraction Distraction & Shag

Reception with complimentary cocktails.
When: 8 pm - midnight
Where: M Modern Gallery
2500 N. Palm Canyon Drive, 
Palm Springs, CA 92262

http://www.mmodern.com

I will be bartending at the Bikini Bar all weekend long at the Riviera Resort in Palm Springs.
If you haven't been to the Riviera since they reopened,you will be shocked at the look and detail they
put into this place.

They spent 70 Million dollars to make this the ONLY GAME IN TOWN!!!!!!!

So stop by the pool area and be served by Wildsville Man, and be surrounded by water,women and song!!!

Night time fire pit's that are surrounding the pool is a must to see!!!!!!! NOW CAN YOU DIG THAT?

http://www.psriviera.com/

WooHoooo! Wildsville Man at The Pool Bar plus...

The Riviera Pool at Night

At night, the illuminated pool area of the modernist Riviera Resort transforms into a white-hot cocktail party, complete with oversized futons, creative cocktails and sarong-clad servers. Once inside, the crowd revels in the panoramic view of the sleek and modern decor and incredible people-watching. An authentic, hand-woven thatched hut above the pool deck serves as the main bar, casting a golden glow on the scene. Popular Los Angeles DJs will spin their brand of high energy music so guests may enjoy the hippest sights and sounds the desert has to offer

I just got a headache reading that.
thinking about the horrible drinks and Hip Hop/Techno music that will be flowin at that place.

sorry,
just sayin.
:wink:

Jeff(bigtikidude)

On 2009-02-05 19:24, bigtikidude wrote:
I just got a headache reading that.
thinking about the horrible drinks and Hip Hop/Techno music that will be flowin at that place.

sorry,
just sayin.
:wink:

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Wildsville Man is The King of Mixology!! I don't know what you are talking about BTD

yeah I hear he likes Barcardi Rum....
:roll:

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Bacardi is all they will let me play with at most bar's I work at!!!
But if you come down I will make something special for you on modernism weekend!!!

If I drank RUM I couldn't fit in my BIKINI for work!!

What can I say, I'm a VODKA drinking TIKI FREAK!!!!!!!!

WooHoo! Only 3 more days until Modernism Week begins......

Have a blast! Wish we could join you!

available at http://www.martinikings.net

Want to go to PS to see all , however my wish has come true and our local
mountains have got dumped on.Time for me to ditch work for a couple of days and
lay some fresh tracks .

MH

So, anyone going to Modernism Week this year? Feb 12-21 , 2010 ? Looks cool - I am hoping to get out west for it! Any tips?

J

I plan on going this year, but since i'm low on funds it'll probably be to all the free stuff. I guess it's a good thing to be a local. haha

We'll be hosting a Charles Phoenix book signing after his show at the Ace Hotel Friday the 19th. We'll also be vending all day Saturday the 20th at the Ace as part of the vintage Airstream & travel trailer show. If you're at either event stop by and say hello!

J

Awesome. I was already planning on going to both, so that works out great. hoping to get an indio bowling shirt :)

[ Edited by: Jetson 2010-01-21 14:13 ]

On 2010-01-21 14:12, Jetson wrote:
Awesome. I was already planning on going to both, so that works out great. hoping to get an indio bowling shirt :)

[ Edited by: Jetson 2010-01-21 14:13 ]

Looking forward to saying hello! (We're also launching two new designs that weekend - one from Ontario and one from Palm Springs:-)

J

Awesome! I can't wait to see the Palm Springs design!

Pages: 1 2 3 133 replies