Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Your beachcombing stories...

Pages: 1 2 60 replies

K

Nice work, Poly... nice shirt, too. I'm wearin' the same one today!

Back visiting my parents up in Orkney this week and look what I found..

..a six foot long chunk of pier, to heavy to move and no time to carve it. What I'm more annoyed at not getting too is the bones of whale on an island across from the house.

Hope I'm not going too off topic. But these are some of my favorite shipwreck photos. Hey, beachcombing stuff needs to come from somewhere.

A little off topic but still cool, many moons ago on a cliff above the rugged Northern California coast I found an arrowhead. I stupidly gave it to a boyfriend.

W

The last time I went beach combing I found this-

Can you believe someone left a perfectly good 6" gun just laying out on the beach like that? And to think just to the right there was another one!

Unfortunately they where a bit too big to drag back to my room so I just left them where they were.

Aloha!
Here are a few pictures of what I've found beachcombing along the 'pedro coast here in So Cal. As lobster season closes, and the storms subside, we won't see as much crap wash up. Ive taken pictures of some of the cooler things that I've found this season (please excuse the quality of these pictures as most of them were taken with my iPhone):

A shot of some of my beachcombing finds before the major storms started:

After the storms started, I went down one morning in light rain, walked a short section of rocky coast that is pretty inaccessible and found these:

there was more, but I had to leave them because I couldn't carry them all!!!!

A few shots of how I find the floats washed up:

A crab pot float I found on our trip to Florida this year:

One of the more interesting things I've found this year was this "little" fella that appears to be a votive figure of some sort:

He totally freaked the wife out...so I brought him to work!

And this last one I can't lay claim to, but a buddy of mine at the aquarium found this when we were out fossil hunting in the tidepools:

Can you say "evidence"? I knew that you could...

I still have a few stretches of coastline I haven't walked yet this year, so if I find more, I'll post it!

Great finds Jim!

As the commercial fishing industry here has really dies out, there are not any net floats washing up.

The Winter ice piles on the shore have melted and left much flotsam and jetsam, but 2 hours of walking hidden shores didn't score me much today but a good piece of driftwood.

I have another stretch of coast to check Wednesday, maybe that will reveal some treasures.

On 2010-03-16 22:22, Lake Surfer wrote:
I have another stretch of coast to check Wednesday, maybe that will reveal some treasures.

More blinking buoys!!!!

Spent last week beach combing and exploring the shoreline of Cape Ann, MA between Gloucester and Rockport. Lot's of lobster traps tossed up on the rocks and wedged into jetties. Couldn't find any in decent shape but I did find some trap buoys in the rocks. Storm season looks to be the best time to collect on the beaches as the local residents' yards are filled with collected buoys, many in much better shape then I found.

Some bait bags and nets from lobster traps also, but my best find was a 9 foot net buoy that I freed from some rocks in the surf zone.

They'll all be added to the yard decor today!

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2010-07-08 10:41 ]

(I'm a dork, I posted on the wrong thread :) )

[ Edited by: MadDogMike 2010-07-08 11:12 ]

Great finds lake! That area of Massachusetts and up through maine is strewn with cool nautical crap - I'm glad that you found some to take home and add to your collection! For maritime and fishing history, that is one awesome place to go.
Next time you're out CA way, we should walk the coast!

B

Found this back in 1975 on the Oregon Coast and dragged it all the way home and have had it ever since. Looks like a dolphin! My folks almost left it with the house when they sold it, but I rescued it and now it resides on my front porch. Fond memories.

I'm probably on the same beaches that Polynesiac beachcombs on. The Palos Verdes Peninsula has some great, hard to get to beaches.
Some of the things I've found are tons of good size ocean glass, floats, nets, traps, driftwood, an engine block, sea anemone shells, fishing rods, cholla cactus skeleton, pine cones, long stem roses and a baseball sized seashell.
Looking up the history of the PV coastline (White Point) is where I learned about the Hedley's/Bamboo Ben.

-Lori

[ Edited by: tikilongbeach 2013-03-01 09:17 ]

Pages: 1 2 60 replies