Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Moving foward, or living in the past?

Pages: 1 2 72 replies

T

in Treatment Tiki Central Monday 9 a.m.

Oh dear. Does this mean I have to change my favorite drink from Intoxica?

Um, so I guess the whole "Voodoo Vacation on Zombie Island"-themed Tiki Oaisis this Summer is right out then, eh? :wink:

T

BTW.....I was just re-posting the TC "mission statement"....not stating my opinion on it either way.

Guys, all this pointing at "rules" is pointless, of course there are countless exceptions, there always are. These are just guidelines to keep this forum on track, and if they would indeed include every detail and every exception, THEN you would have reason to bitch and moan "Tiki is supposed to be fun" and "Tiki should have no rules". A mission statement is not bullet proof, it is easy to find holes, don't fault it for assuming that the adult, educated individual can put 2 + 2 together and get its general gist.

Oh, and I wonder where "Tiki Hammer" came from? Joined Feb. 22nd, 1 post? Hmmm....

And it is touching how he bemoans "a lot of misunderstanding", and then proceeds to post something that does not contribute ONE inkling to understanding here.

On 2008-02-22 09:52, bigbrotiki wrote:
Oh, and I wonder where "Tiki Hammer" came from? Joined Feb. 22nd, 1 post? Hmmm....

And it is touching how he bemoans "a lot of misunderstanding", and then proceeds to post something that does not contribute ONE inkling to understanding here.

I wondered the same thing.

OK geeks, search that guys IP. :)

Mmm, I could use a Bum's Rush. It is 5 O'clock somewhere. :wink:

If a coconut falls from a Polynesian island palm tree onto the head of a pirate, knocking him unconscious, just as he's sipping a Margarita he made after stepping barefoot on a pop top and screaming so loud his parrot became deaf, does it make a tiki sound?

I think we need to get back to the original intent that Tom Slick had in posting this thread.

And to answer his question from my perspective... no, everything about tiki's mid-century heyday has certainly not been discovered, discussed and archived in some fashion. Just look at Sippin' Safari. If Jeff Berry had thought that way, the book would have been nothing but a collection of lost drink recipes. That would have still made for one hell of a book, but the true magic of that book is in the stories of the people who made these places happen. Jeff has said himself that he didn't know those stories existed until he pushed back the cobwebs and went exploring. And then the stories surfaced. I think we can learn a lesson from that. Who knows what nuggets are still out there waiting to be uncovered and shared for everyone's mutual enjoyment?

Oh I see... there's rules but you don't see the rules cause the rules is the unknown rules....

Bum's Rush starting 1:30 p.m.
Good Day Now

Just so everyone knows who "tiki hammer" is, since she is now scared off...tiki hammer is my wife Ami. She is legit and there are a few here who know her.

I have been venting so much about the crap slinging and train wreck this place has become lately I am about ready to call it quits. I heard Peter Pumpkinhead by the band XTC on XM radio last night and I told her about Sven and the attacks he has leveled at him nearly everytime he gives his opinion about something. She thought it would make a point because of the similarities between the character in the song and what bigbro deals with...maybe she is not as "understanding" as all the rest of us are, but I share nearly everything I see on here with her.

That being said, she will probably not want to participate in this place anymore.

This place is starting to remind me of high school, and it has been many years since I went to high school. Jocks, sosh's, burners, geeks; a label for everyone else, just don't label me!

I think I too, will take the high road!

PTD

[ Edited by: Psycho Tiki D 2008-02-22 11:20 ]

Ooops! Sorry PTD and Ami, I sincerely apologize for having misinterpreted her post as further sarcasm directed at any supposed "adulation" of my person here on TC---which I do not ask for in any way, much less as formulated in the lyrics, of course.

This again shows the weaknesses of Internet communication, where e-mails and blog posts are often WAY too open to all kinds of assumptions and misunderstandings. You do not see the person, or their attitude or expression, and you assume things that say more about the place YOU are in than the poster is. I looked at the joining date and number of posts and simply deduced that one of my previous detractors decided to post under a new name. Please do not take this personal, it was a misunderstanding created by the heat of the moment.

C

"It’s not about African-art inspired masks/carvings/design"

Actually, Les Baxter's "Quiet Village" is about an African quiet village. The whole album is. So is the cover artwork. Lots more connections out there, but I'm not dredging 'em up.

I'd actually make a case out of almost all the TC 'rules', and most of the assumptions we all take for granted on TC. Very little of the Tiki history we assume to know so much about really goes back to original first sources; it's all observational.

One problem seems to be that people confuse 'tropical' with 'Tiki'. Another is that almost nobody on TC was an adult during the classic Tiki era.

Anyway, in my case the pursuit of Tiki has led me to original Islander art, and even that seems edgy here sometimes....

Yes, my intent for this thread was not only to address the lack of posts related to tiki centrals statement, vs. some of the obvious boredom people have and their ways of thread derailment. I know it is a community dedicated to the "DISCOVERY" of classic polynesian pop and modern polynesian pop. What I DO NOT KNOW is if the "discovery" of classic polynesian pop is happening? And I not referring to the newbie who just signed up and found stuff here, but more along the lines of this communities elders? It seems with the HUNDREDS of active posters, that when nothing seems to be really new or discovered, they have to entertain themselves somehow? Afterall, they took the whole 5 seconds to log in, why leave without blurting something out? :roll:

My opinion is that classic polypop(in a guess), roughly 90 percent has been discovered, whereas even the artworld which frequently changes, the artists do not, nor does the modern polypop for that same reasoning. I've personally read alot of interesting posts regarding history here, and it just seems that we have pretty much excavated the dinosaur pit so to speak. Witco has been documented, almost all mid century architects such as the Wrights, the Lautners, The Becketts, the Neutras have been documented as well. So from only my opinionated view, it seems that polypop has slowed down like molasses, and back to the first paragraph,
How can people contribute to a community when almost everything seems to have been covered AND/OR everything for the moment is at a standstill within the community?
Not saying I condone useless posts, but does anyone else feel the same? If we only had a tiki comedian with all tiki jokes! :wink:

The whole lifestyle should be fun, And I also agree that one should recognize the history as well. The collecting aspect of tiki and mid century on the other hand, has exploded. From the furniture, Witco, rattan, Vintage tiki....Stuff that would have been nearly free for the taking 10 years ago, has hit all time price highs. So what gives? Target, Big Lots, Tommy Bs have a hand in exposing this? For the love of :tiki: , someone explain!??? :P

[ Edited by: Tom Slick 2008-02-22 12:14 ]

Well, this mission statement was issued years ago. And even though it still is mostly applicable, I feel it is a little unjust to newbies to still have The Book of Tiki upheld as the must have...when you can only get one for around 100.- bucks nowadays! I think Hanford should ad TIKI STYLE as affordable basic history and style guide. It does not dazzle as much, but it'll do.

The problem with possibly recommending TIKI MODERN as a guide might be that while the first half recaps Tiki style's evolution as an art form, it has a lot about modernism, pop primitivism in general (touching on African art!) and purely Witco in it, and as such would not represent pure, "classic" poly pop Tiki style adequately.

Hanford?

i'm just glad someone else in in the hotseat this time.....(sorry big bro...welcome to my world)

..but don't worry...i'll be jumpin back in it before long.

T

Folks in this thread and others have made comments about "Target and Big Lots" and "newbies not understanding what TC is all about" and "TC is changing for the worse" etc. I would just like to point out that in the early years of TC, Tiki finds at Target and Big Lots were discussed with excitement and not criticism.

Check out this Big Lots thread from 2002
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=619&forum=5&hilite=big%20lots
And this Target one also from 2002
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=124&forum=5&hilite=target

I am not agreeing or disagreeing with anyone, I just wanted to point out that the past is not always as we remember it.

we were excited because at that time, finding new tiki products was a relatively rare thing....today, new tiki items are all over the place, not just from big chain stores, but from all us artisans as well...we are just too jaded now....before, when we had fewer choices we were happy to find a new plastic tiki at big lots....now we have numerous choices and we now have the luxury to be snobs, pickin and choosing as we go....it's just a reality of any trend, regardless of that trends duration....more choices, means more division...more catagorizations.......and then the bickering and fighting begin as to who was first, who's more genuine, who owns what, who knows what....

and who really cares...

[ Edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2008-02-22 15:34 ]

On 2008-02-22 15:33, Tipsy McStagger wrote:
we were excited because at that time, finding new tiki products was a relatively rare thing....today, new tiki items are all over the place, not just from big chain stores, but from all us artisans as well...we are just too jaded now....before, when we had fewer choices we were happy to find a new plastic tiki at big lots....now we have numerous choices and we now have the luxury to be snobs, pickin and choosing as we go....it's just a reality of any trend, regardless of that trends duration....more choices, means more division...more catagorizations.......and then the bickering and fighting begin as to who was first, who's more genuine, who owns what, who knows what....

and who really cares...

So true. I think back to when Target rolled out that big line of tiki merchandise a few years ago, and I was absolutely thrilled. Hell, I've still got those silly Kon Tiki sheets on my bed. I also love my Big Lots Pele.

Back to the topic, I think that there are still countless urban archaeological finds to be made. I live out in the arm pit of Southern California, the Inland Empire. I constantly kick myself for not better chronicling my own area. There was a restaurant here with a little a-framey thing going on. It used to be decorated with surf boards and tikis. I would eat there whenever I had the chance, but I never took pictures. And then, of course, one day it was just gone. I can't even think of the name anymore. (Although now it's Iggy's Roadhouse.) Granted, it wasn't a classic tiki palace or anything, but it's a place I wish I had a better memory of.

I don't think that tiki was ever truly ubiquitous, but it was pretty darn popular at one point, and the old abandoned remnants are still out there for us to discover.

T

Hey Tipsy - I just noticed that we joined TC on the same day.

And we have about the same number of posts :)

[ Edited by: TikiPhil 2008-02-22 17:53 ]

On 2008-02-22 17:53, TikiPhil wrote:
Hey Tipsy - I just noticed that we joined TC on the same day.

And we have about the same number of posts :)

[ Edited by: TikiPhil 2008-02-22 17:53 ]

..that's because we are the same person.....

i am you, phil.....and you are me!!!.....like jekyl and hyde.....but due to our split personality disorder neither of us realized it till now....

okay, i'm replying to my own post and it's freakin me out.....good bye.

Brrrrrrrrp!

On 2008-02-22 11:06, Psycho Tiki D wrote:

Just so everyone knows who "tiki hammer" is, since she is now scared off...tiki hammer is my wife Ami. She is legit and there are a few here who know her.

I have been venting so much about the crap slinging and train wreck this place has become lately I am about ready to call it quits. I heard Peter Pumpkinhead by the band XTC on XM radio last night and I told her about Sven and the attacks he has leveled at him nearly everytime he gives his opinion about something. She thought it would make a point because of the similarities between the character in the song and what bigbro deals with...maybe she is not as "understanding" as all the rest of us are, but I share nearly everything I see on here with her.

That being said, she will probably not want to participate in this place anymore.

This place is starting to remind me of high school, and it has been many years since I went to high school. Jocks, sosh's, burners, geeks; a label for everyone else, just don't label me!

I think I too, will take the high road!

PTD

[ Edited by: Psycho Tiki D 2008-02-22 11:20 ]

Think you need to issue an apologie to HL.. calling this place a 'train wreck' This is one of greatest web sites in the world..
Might be some triple x perv's who might disagree with me !!!!

OK, if YOU say so!

Hanford Leemoore, I apologize for calling this place a "train wreck".

According to TikiLaLe (and I concour) "This is one of greatest web sites in the world.."

But "Might be some triple x perv's who might disagree with me !!!! " of which I don't!

Again, I apologize for calling this place a "train wreck", perhaps I should have directed this comment to whom it was intended!

Sincerely,

Psycho Tiki D (I know I am and get off the tracks)!

S

There is a retired Mai Kai fire knife dancer I know who says there were at least 50 places in Florida not mention in TRT. Probably hundreds. It scratches the surface. There is a lot to uncover yet. We just need more young blood in Florida with lots of spare time!

Pages: 1 2 72 replies