Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Pages: 1 29 replies

H

Here's an excerpt from My Lost Weekend With John Lennon. In reference to the legal documents officially dissolving the Beatles:

"He finally picked up his pen and, in the unlikely backdrop of the Polynesian Village Hotel at Disney World, ended the greatest rock 'n' roll band in history by simply scrawling John Lennon at the bottom of the page."

I just thought y'all would want to know.

It's well known that Tiki is the nemesis of rock 'n' roll (except for surf music).

T

Wow, what a bummer for me...I'm a huge Beatle fan :(

K

On 2008-02-25 17:11, tikiyaki wrote:
Wow, what a bummer for me...I'm a huge Beatle fan :(

It was just a required signature to legally dissolve the partnership. The real split happened in 1969 in the Apple offices when John announced he wanted out.

I might have to read May Pangs book...if not for the stories at least for the pictures. I don't think I've ever seen a picture of John and Paul together after the breakup. That's an interesting piece of Beatles history.

M

So did Yoko own the Polynesian Village Resort? Because...

Don't know diddly about the Beatles break up, so that's all news to me....John Lennon doing a Woody Allen? Wow...ALL men are just such opportunists. :)

R

On 2008-02-25 19:33, bigbrotiki wrote:
Don't know diddly about the Beatles break up, so that's all news to me....John Lennon doing a Woody Allen? Wow...ALL men are just such opportunists. :)

Eh? Lennon doing a Woody Allen?
I thought you could only use that reference if a man wanted to date his (adopted or not) daughter?
Just because Lennon was older and she seemed a bit young and was asian...doesn't exactly make it a woody reference.... :lol:

At any rate, that is very interesting! I didn't know about that "Lost Weekend" I'll have to check that out...

As for: The Beatles officially broke up at Disney's Polynesian Village Hotel??
Eh? :lol:

I think that’s fitting considering that I hold the Beatles and the British Invasion partially responsible for Tiki Devolution.

TS

Finally....At least Disneyworld was good for something other than taking peoples money! :P

T

WHAT ? Beatle - haters in here ? ... BLASPHEMY !!!!

WHO all the way, baby.

T

I remember that picture of The Sex Pistols on the cover of Tiger Beat!

Good times.

JB

M

I blame the Stones.

May Pang was hot!

I remember when Let It Be (the movie) came out it was pretty much a documentary of the group after having decided to break up upon completing this their final album. I didn't realize that it would take five years to dot the eyes and cross the tease.

Fact: 1970's Millionaires with Hot Asian girlfriends that hang out at the Polynesian Resort are cool.

Did John Lennon like Tiki?

May Pang FAQs

Well, he liked TV, the sun, the sea, food and disco.

[ Edited by: KING BUSHWICH THE 33RD 2008-02-26 12:25 ]

K

On 2008-02-26 10:12, The Gnomon wrote:
I remember when Let It Be (the movie) came out it was pretty much a documentary of the group after having decided to break up upon completing this their final album. I didn't realize that it would take five years to dot the eyes and cross the tease.

They did regroup after "Let It Be" to record "Abbey Road," mainly because they wanted to do one more really good album since "Let It Be" was such a disaster. "Let It Be" didn't come out until 1970 after the band had privately split.

Also, the final dissolution of partnership in their recording/publishing company called "Apple" wasn't final until (I think) the early 90's because the legalities were such a mess. Everyone was suing everyone else.

On 2008-02-25 20:26, Bora Boris wrote:
I think that’s fitting considering that I hold the Beatles and the British Invasion partially responsible for Tiki Devolution.

Quite fitting! Tiki oversaw the dissolution of a piece of pop culture that ultimately destroyed it.

well, everybody knows that the Beatles and the Brittish Invasion killed surf music in the early 60's and Surf and Tiki are related at least in my mind.
so I say that its kinda a odd back at cha type of moment from tiki, for surf.

I know, im off my rocker.
:)

Jeff(bigtikidude)

On 2008-02-27 09:57, bigtikidude wrote:
well, everybody knows that the Beatles and the Brittish Invasion killed surf music in the early 60's

This was largely due, I believe, to the fact that Brian Wilson felt threatened by the Beatles and was convinced that their success would be his downfall. IMO, his fears were unfounded, but because he was convinced, his whole world was adversely affected by it and his music began to suffer.

The Beatles actually liked surf music and did a little tribute to the Beach Boys with Back in the USSR on the "White Album." In the 60's the Beach Boys set the tone (so to speak) for all surf music. Certainly Jan and Dean were pioneers and nothing takes you down the face of a wave like Dick Dale (unless it's the Chantays or the Ventures) or wipes you out like the Surfaris, but the BBs somehow harmonized their way to the top spot. When they began to self-destruct, no other acts stepped up to save the day.

The Beatles OTOH just kept reaching new heights, further supporting Brain Wilson's self-fulfilling prophecy. When the Beatles "landed" I loved their stuff, but I actually loved surf music and the BBs more. Brian Wilson appreciated the creativity and artistry of the Beatles to a point where I don't believe he realized that people would embrace both without either losing any ground. Certainly, the fact that his creative demise was caused by his desperate need to counteract the force that was the Beatles. I saw him on a television documentary a while back explain just that in elaborate detail.

In a way you could blame the Beatles for the disappearance of surf music, but I would have to attribute it just as much or moreso to Brian Wilson. He felt that the sky was falling and hung up his spurs.

Wait! No! You're right. The Beatles did kill surf music. Those bastards!

The Beatles killed and/or threatened alot of people's careers....

Frank Sinatra
Elvis
Surf
Girl Groups

etc...

They certainly didn't set out to end anyone's career.

Maybe the fact that alot of those surf bands had one or 2 good songs, and alot of filler on their records had something to do with it.

It's not like people ever stopped surfing. When a trend comes on that strong, the only way to go is down. If the Chantays or the Surfari's made a full album's worth of hits, like the Beatles did, maybe surf wouldn't have died such an untimely death.

Check the Beatles volume of work and compare.

IN the case of the crooners, it was simply a generation gap.

TT

On 2008-02-26 10:12, The Gnomon wrote:
May Pang was hot!

I remember when Let It Be (the movie) came out it was pretty much a documentary of the group after having decided to break up upon completing this their final album. I didn't realize that it would take five years to dot the eyes and cross the tease.

The reason I like May Pang so much is that she let it be known that Paul used to visit John and May at their beach house. In fact, Paul, Linda, and their kids all stayed there at times. Doesn't sound like they hated each other after all. I like knowing that after all of these years.

On 2008-02-27 10:54, The Gnomon wrote:

On 2008-02-27 09:57, bigtikidude wrote:
well, everybody knows that the Beatles and the Brittish Invasion killed surf music in the early 60's

This was largely due, I believe, to the fact that Brian Wilson felt threatened by the Beatles and was convinced that their success would be his downfall. IMO, his fears were unfounded, but because he was convinced, his whole world was adversely affected by it and his music began to suffer.

The Beatles actually liked surf music and did a little tribute to the Beach Boys with Back in the USSR on the "White Album." In the 60's the Beach Boys set the tone (so to speak) for all surf music. Certainly Jan and Dean were pioneers and nothing takes you down the face of a wave like Dick Dale (unless it's the Chantays or the Ventures) or wipes you out like the Surfaris, but the BBs somehow harmonized their way to the top spot. When they began to self-destruct, no other acts stepped up to save the day.

The Beatles OTOH just kept reaching new heights, further supporting Brain Wilson's self-fulfilling prophecy. When the Beatles "landed" I loved their stuff, but I actually loved surf music and the BBs more. Brian Wilson appreciated the creativity and artistry of the Beatles to a point where I don't believe he realized that people would embrace both without either losing any ground. Certainly, the fact that his creative demise was caused by his desperate need to counteract the force that was the Beatles. I saw him on a television documentary a while back explain just that in elaborate detail.

In a way you could blame the Beatles for the disappearance of surf music, but I would have to attribute it just as much or moreso to Brian Wilson. He felt that the sky was falling and hung up his spurs.

Wait! No! You're right. The Beatles did kill surf music. Those bastards!

I feel the friendly competition between The Beach Boys and the Beatles was maybe unnecessary. Without having any books in front of me to properly reference, but having read a few biographies and watched a few docs and listened to gossip from old musicians, it seems they were both jealous and scared of each other, and when Rubber Soul came out Brian Wilson felt like he had to up the ante. Creative competition is always a good thing to push artists, but comparing the two is like apples and oranges. The Beach Boys sound to me, especially with the new Smile record in context, was all about texture, harmonies, rythyms- composition. You can hear that on the remaster of Pet Sounds, Brian in the studio tracking and re-tracking instruments, taking them out, putting them in, changing the cadence. He was studio head, so much so that he removed himself from touring altogether. The Beatles sound more like folk to me, with a big emphasis on singer songwriter type sounds, which is quintessentially pop, and might explain why people can sing a Beatles tune from any era, whereas most people can only recall the poppy, early beach boys tunes (except for Kokomo). I understand Sergeant Peppers was a separation from the 3 minute pop song, and they were the first to do a concept album, and they did it so damn well it was interesting, intellectual and catchy at the same time. But for my dollar, had Brian Wilson not lost himself to cocaine, he might've dropped a record that would stand aside Sgt. Pepper's with pride- but I don't see why he felt like he had to. Liverpool and Hawthorne couldn't be any more different.

[ Edited by: Registered Astronaut 2008-03-27 21:16 ]

K

On 2008-03-27 21:15, Registered Astronaut wrote:
I feel the friendly competition between The Beach Boys and the Beatles was maybe unnecessary. Without having any books in front of me to properly reference, but having read a few biographies and watched a few docs and listened to gossip from old musicians, it seems they were both jealous and scared of each other, and when Rubber Soul came out Brian Wilson felt like he had to up the ante.

Paul McCartney has said repeatedly that his big inspiration when working on Sgt. Pepper was Pet Sounds, which was Brian Wilson's attempt at one-upping Rubber Soul, which was The Beatles attempt at trying to texturize their harmonies more like the Beach Boys. Who knows what either band would have done without the influence of the other.

On 2008-02-25 20:26, Bora Boris wrote:
I think that’s fitting considering that I hold the Beatles and the British Invasion partially responsible for Tiki Devolution.

IT'S DISCO YOU SHOULD BE CURSING FOLKS!!!

Trader Jim - Make mine a Pogo Pogo!

[ Edited by: POCKETIKI 2008-03-29 15:03 ]

Sorry Trader Jim but the way I see it before the Beatles came along you could to go a Tiki Bar after work, get a drink to relax and let your hair down in the figure of speech kind of way and after the Beatles you could quit your job, literally "Let your hair down" by growing it past your ass and then use it as a blanket while you slept on the beach all day.:)

Not in bloody Liverpool, or London for that matter, you couldn't!

Trader Jim - Make mine a Fog Cutter!

But Jimbo, how can you say that when we just found out that "At that time in Liverpool, a number of Polynesian restaurants had opened, and "Tiki" food became a fad"?
You know, until someone does go to their Central Library and finds multiple Tiki establishments that existed there in 1961, I am taking that info with a grain of salt. But one or two must have been there, or the Constable would have had nowhere to go.

Boris, I think you are so right man, and here is my theory in support of your observations:
The Beatles evil agenda to subvert Tiki culture was actually rooted in the "Full Moon Slayings" mentioned in the other thread!:

Here is a bit of early Beatles history, when they were still looking for a name:
"...The Quarrymen went through a progression of names — "Johnny and the Moondogs" and "Long John and the Beatles". Lennon's art school friend Stuart Sutcliffe joined on bass in January 1960..."

Johnny and the MOONDOGS !!!? FULL MOON Slayings !!!? I believe the Beatles actually were MEMBERS of the Liverpool Tiki Cult, and when things got too hot for them, they decided to leave town for Hamburg until the whole murder case investigation blew over. There, in order to never be associated with Tiki again, they devised a plan to create a unique new pop culture phenomenon that was diametrically opposed to, and would eventually become the downfall of Tiki....all in order to hide their tracks !!!

Years after they had succeeded, and after they had broken up, their resolution weakened, that is why George Harrison bought a house on the Hana Coast on Maui ( http://www.pbase.com/goislands/image/38442572 ), and John Lennon ended it all at the Polynesian Village resort! They just didn't need to pretend anymore. --Wow, what powers of deduction...sometimes I amaze myself.

Dig? :D

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2008-03-30 16:02 ]

You left out the part where Sutcliffe wanted to tell the authorities as it was weighing heavy on his mind and giving him headaches but they knocked him off before he could tell anyone.

Pages: 1 29 replies