Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

The Well-Read Tikiphile-for BigBro(mostly)

Pages: 1 2 64 replies

M

My favorites are the already mentioned books by Thor Aku Aku and Kon-Tiki and of course BOT. Also LOVE Taboo:The Art of Tiki, amazing Art from new Tiki artists SHAG, Bosko, Mark Ryden, Duke Carter, House Industries, The Pizz and many others. To say this book is Toilet wipe is insulting to me, the artists in the book and in fact all new Tiki artists. A common theme from a couple members on TC who repeat over and over the mantra Old art good, new art bad is getting very tired and will not likely help the great Tiki artists of today create art that is looked back on so fondly 50 years from now. How much the art duplicates Tiki of the 50's is a judgment call I suppose, not sure it matters much if it is entirely Origanol, inspired from the 50's or inspired from Tiki well before 50's. I'd say I was in the wrong place (is it Tiki-from50'sonly-central?) but clearly many others here love and are inspired from Tiki from all generations. How you can across the board insult Tiki artists of today(or those in Taboo anyway) by referring to perhaps the most popular collection of contemporary Tiki art as "blahblahblah toilet wipe" is beyond me. Sure you like Tiki? Or is it just Your Tiki you like? But then you're entitled to you're opinion, we can't all like all Tiki suppose. I just wonder if you consider that some of those artists you insult are right here? If someone referred to your art as Toilet wipe I wonder how you would respond. Sitting here looking through Taboo: The Art Of Tiki I am once again blown away by the beautiful art of my generation.

On 2004-04-04 17:44, tikibars wrote:
just re-read a book I mentioned here last year: "Typee" by Melville.

I'm a big fan of Melville and "Typee" is one of my favs. Just picked up a nice boxed edition from 1963, with a stylized Tapa cover and (I just discovered) illustrations by Covarrubias.

I picked up a copy of Tahiti Sylvain not to long ago. It is a book of photographs. Sylvain went to Tahiti in 1946 and never left. He documented island life very well. There is not a whole lot of text, just a litle by the artist's wife telling a bit about him. I don't remember too many tikis but there is a lot of beautiful girls.

K
Kono posted on Tue, Apr 6, 2004 4:21 PM

On 2004-04-06 16:08, schtinkydog wrote:
I picked up a copy of Tahiti Sylvain not to long ago. It is a book of photographs. Sylvain went to Tahiti in 1946 and never left. He documented island life very well. There is not a whole lot of text, just a litle by the artist's wife telling a bit about him. I don't remember too many tikis but there is a lot of beautiful girls.

Oh yeah, great book. Beautiful black and white photos, mostly of beautiful vahines. Many postcards featuring topless Polynesian ladies are copied from Sylvain's photos, as well as a few black velvet paintings (such as those sold by Trailer Taste). I've been thinking about getting a second copy to cut up for framing the pics.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/3822860530/qid=1081289952/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl14/103-7383448-8301422?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

T
Tiki Central - Exception

Oh no.

An error occurred. Site administrators have been notified of the error.