Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

A&E TV show recommends collecting Tiki

Pages: 1 7 replies

M

My buddy told me he was flipping channels and happened across A&E's "The Incurable Collector" show with John Larroquette. At the end of the show he talks about "Collectables of Tomorrow" and right after recommending Paul Frank items he pulled out a TIKI MUG and a couple other tiki items.

They mention what he said on their website. You'll need to scroll down to "Tiki Times".

http://www.aetv.com/tv/shows/collector/tomorrowarchive.html

I think we've got a head start on the rest of America.
Did anyone else see this? I wonder which mug he pulled out. My buddy said it was black, but as a non Tiki person he couldn't tell me more than that.

My girlfriend and I saw the show however, I really do not remeber him having a tiki mug. The spot was more about Hawaiian collecting and focused on shirts, rattan furniture, etc. In the background there were a few mugs but pretty much the noraml mugs. It was still fun to watch. We always try and catch the show.

On 2003-02-21 20:52, MauiTiki wrote:
I think we've got a head start on the rest of America.
Did anyone else see this? I wonder which mug he pulled out.

Well, it depends on what you consider a head start. This is an old episode - it was first aired about a year and a half ago. I was well into collecting at that point (by about 5 or 6 years). But then again, if some people started collecting recently, I wouldn't consider that much of a head start since this episode really isn't new.

Regardless, they didn't recommend collecting tiki mugs per se but rather, Hawaiiana - which is a different genre of collectible. I suspect that collectors of Hawaiiana far outnumber collectors of tiki and as such, don't think the show told us something we don't already know. After all, they determine what they deem to be "collectibles of tomorrow" based on what the hot collectible of today is - which is already being collected by the time they "discover" it.

I really enjoy this show but when they say "collectible of the future," to me its just a way for dealers to red-tag an item for higher prices just because they saw this on the show. How many times have you seen an antique dealer trying to get $40 for a Tiki Leilani just because "tiki is hot right now" and they don't even know anything about it?

*** * * The Polynesian Popster * * ***

[ Edited by: PolynesianPop on 2003-02-22 10:51 ]

K

i think this was the episode where they went to the aloha cruz shop and were told hawaiian shirts can be had for as little as $100.

I didnt see this particular show, but whenever I see a show about flea markets or 50's kitschy stuff I get all excited, like "Look! There's my stuff! Cool!" and then, moments later, I realize every person holding a garage sale will now be charging top dollar. So its a double edged sword.

FROM THE A&E WEBSITE
"Tiki Times
First made popular in the 40's, these kitchy collectibles are making a cool comeback. In the sixties, this mug was given as a freebie from a Hawaiian resort. Find it today and it could cost you up to $35. All the way from New Zealand, a Tiki souvenir was carved back in the sixties. It only cost a couple dollars then, but today it could bring in up to $75. And a mighty Tiki goddess may be a contemporary piece, but already out of production, her price tag of over $100, is bound to erupt. "

They better re-check their facts.

On 2003-02-23 15:24, Luckydesigns wrote:
..."And a mighty Tiki goddess may be a contemporary piece, but already out of production, her price tag of over $100, is bound to erupt. "

This TikiGoddess is bound to erupt at the prices people will be charging at their yard sales once they get these ideas into their heads. Perhaps a counterattack is needed, we should spread propaganda that the craze is over.
"Oh that tiki thing, you wont get 50 cents for it." "Didnt you hear? Tiki is over!"

You got it Goddess, this kind of thing is going to really push the prices up.

Pages: 1 7 replies